Starting a garage community?

Heidel_Kakao

So we have three strongly interested people at the moment in the form of myself, tommotech, and Lord Sterling. Three people is a bit of a stretch at £167 per month but an extra person would make it a more realistic £125 each. If anyone else is willing to take the plunge PM tommotech as he has the contact details for the landlord and can arrange viewings etc.

What is the maximum/optimum number of shiters you think could be in the community? It sounds like there's plenty of space there for chod, but I guess it also depends how many vehicles each shiter would want to be storing there, either inside or out.

It's a good question and like you say almost depends on how many cars each person would want to store. I personally am looking to store one car securely in the dry and have the ability to work on it in the dry and ultimately have a proper ramp and all the other good garage goodies. If I then got bored and decided an MOT less project car would be fun that could live outside.

I think five people would be a sensible maximum and "just" £100 each per month but that is my take on it.

Wasn’t expecting this to take off quite so quickly - I can’t commit to it right now but definitely put me on the reserves list

If you need tools and equipment I can sort out some good gear at very sensible money to clear out my storage unit - including a workshop oil drainer for use with a lift which can be yours for absolutely nothing if you come and get it.

Daft Idea number 1. Is there scope to park a Caravan inside and me to live in it during the week ?

If I'm working in Derby next year, I'll need somewhere new to rent during the week, but this is probably just too far.

I missed this earlier, the doors are full height and a small caravan has a similar footprint to a car, if you are paying for a space then yours to store what you wish in it within reason.....

Assuming it would not cause issues with the council but if they ever asked it's the break room lol!

pity it wasnt closer, and a tad cheaper.. as my drive is rapidly filling up...and 40+ miles in a vehicle with no MOT or Insurance is a tad risky

I don't think it could get much cheaper than this from my limited research, in fact you could pay more and get less space than is on offer here. Illegal car moving shenanigans are best done under the cover of darkness or maybe all chip in for a communal car trailer?

Oh bugger, on actually looking Tamworth is a good 2 hours from me. Although, I'm intent on moving from the M25 encircled asylum within the next 6 Months, probably to somewhere between Worcester and Rugby which would be not so bad, very desperate for storage in the meantime, have one car that must be under cover, or I have to move it on soonish which would be heartbreaking, another that could do with it but would be acceptable somewhere secure under a cat piss tarp, small van waiting to be turned into a camper that seems happy with the outdoor life, all road legal bar one that's sat on a trailer, oh and there's that trailer, could do with somewhere for it to live, I suppose it could stay under a car, be tipped on its side, or don't mind sharing it.

Big question for me is how many car spaces? That's my biggest need in the short term, long term, a workshop would be heaven. And if someone wants to live there in a caravan that would be awesome, everyone could chip in for a brazier for him to do some night watchman action.

At about £100 a month, it moves into the territory where I might be interested. Tamworth is half an hour so well within weekend tinkering distance. I'd only be looking at one car there.

Hmmm.

Go on Pillock, I'll make the forth, you be the fifth and that is £100/month each.

Reading this with great interest.  I am nowhere near where this is being proposed, which is a great shame, but have considered doing something similar local to me here in West Sussex for a while.  The main issue appears to be the rent that people want to charge.. it is crippilingly expensive!  The best I've managed to find so far was £500 a month for a unit that you could sandwich 9 to12 cars in, or get 4 in and work on them.

And the roof isn't *really* high enough to get a 2-post lift in.  You might, but you'd have to be very careful not to bend a car roof on one of the trusses.

That's still muchos expensive.  Especially when electrickery is on top.

Reading this with great interest. I am nowhere near where this is being proposed, which is a great shame, but have considered doing something similar local to me here in West Sussex for a while. The main issue appears to be the rent that people want to charge.. it is crippilingly expensive! The best I've managed to find so far was £500 a month for a unit that you could sandwich 9 to12 cars in, or get 4 in and work on them.

And the roof isn't *really* high enough to get a 2-post lift in. You might, but you'd have to be very careful not to bend a car roof on one of the trusses.

That's still muchos expensive. Especially when electrickery is on top.

I'm lucky to have the use of some storage nr Chillington you are right it's a fortune though and there is a waiting list for units apparently!

Love the idea of this, distance would be a little to far for me to entertain it to be a workshop but as storage it would be good option.

I've taken a look local to myself, Dudley, and this is the best I can find -

http://www.boxpodcommercialproperty.co.uk/industrial-unit-to-let/30756/industrial-west-

Love the idea of this, distance would be a little to far for me to entertain it to be a workshop but as storage it would be good option.

I've taken a look local to myself, Dudley, and this is the best I can find -

http://www.boxpodcommercialproperty.co.uk/industrial-unit-to-let/30756/industrial-west-

Does look ok but I find it really hard to work out how many cars you can fit in these places without actually going to view them.

This very much depends how accessible you'd need the cars to be?!

You could pack them in but if you plan on having a ramp, or communal work area? How you divvy the space up with everyone having access to cars etc.

It can work, and I'd say that people would need to commit to a 12 month 'contract' and give a months notice if they wish to leave, this would give people time to sell on the vacant space, as it can increase costs considerably with someone leaving.

Yeah no point in having storage if you ram it so full of cars you can't access them easily. The Tamworth unit has plenty of outside parking so you could just roll up in your everyday car, dump it outside and head off in your stored car and not need to bother putting your everyday car into the unit.