Starting a garage community?

Heidel_Kakao

3 of my mates do this and have been doing happily for years. Probably 10 or more years in fact. The rules are very relaxed. Its a great unit with 2 ramps, lathes, CNC (broken project), rolling road (yes really). People weld, paint and fabricate all on their own stuff without drama. Although one guy buys loads of projects!!!

I think they somehow got around the business rates thing but pay some kind of council tax that gets the bins emptied. I will try to pop down and get a better idea on the rough costs if it would help anyone.

More details from people that have been successfully doing it for years would be great thanks. I have a friend in Holland that does it too but they rent a barn from a farmer.

£6000 is about £525 a month - which is what my rent on Private rent house is!!!! sou would need more than 6 folk really.....and Wallows...erm No Ta..been a few 'Mystery fires' up that way over the years..ya know just before a company goes 'Bump''' wouldnt be so bad if the units weren't located so close to one another!!

Plus there are a fair few Transit driving, caravan owning with Dags type people that like to 'visit' said estate of a night.....

I am part of one of these.

Generally, it is spot on, the folk involved are all like minded so good respect is given/received.

Problems?

Quite a few really, mainly the usual politics stuff, so and so doesn't like so and so etc etc.

We had three young lads who were renting two bays between them, I got on great with all of them but a few of the other boys didn't like them one bit, constantly complaining to the "manager" about them, dragging other people into it then due to this there became a real spilt in the group, which I got completely stuck in the middle of. I think mainly it was an age thing but a tool was borrowed and broken and the deed denied. Also complaints of cleanliness etc which I felt generally were a bit harsh.

Our story was a bit more complicated as the original person we dealt with handed over the reigns to another pretty much just as I was starting up and he had different ideas how to run it, many of which I and most of the others disagree with however he's also a really good guy and has taken on the liability of the place so you can understand he wants to do things his way.

How we do it.

1. Cost is £179 a month all in, this is near Hungerford so quite an expensive area. This covers everything or should I say DID cover everything but the manager has his own money making schemes that have caused many disagreements. Their not all bad but there needs to be fair play across the board and this hasn't been the case.

2. The manager charges a fee of £50 a month to store a car outside. This I totally disagree with as this was never mentioned when dealing with the previous manager. I see the point but the manager has 4 cars outside with only one working/moveable. Another member stores a car but pays nothing. Another one stores a car and gets charged. A former member stores a car yet has to pay full price.

3. We have a lift, it's awesome and is an essential feature. We pre book in advance via WhatsApp, no issues so far. If you don't book you can still use it but that's on a first come first serve basis.

Someone mentioned 2hrs and 6 hrs above, this is totally unrealistic. We tend to book for the whole day/evening with bigger jobs booked for the whole weekend. Like most things, it's busier at the weekend than it is in the week, great for me working shifts, bad for the ,9-5 'ers.

Of you finish early like I did with my gearbox then just put up on WhatsApp is available again and all is good.

4. Tools, we use our own but there was an engine hoist and a couple of crap jacks there. A parts washer and I bought a tranny jack which isn't perfect but still works ok with the lift. I've never had anything go missing and we share and share alike on tools but that's up to the individual.

5. As far as I'm concerned, it's our workspace and not for nobends who turn up as a "mate" using your booster packs/oils/antifreeze for free, making a mess and generally being wankers all for a nominal or free charge. Don't do it, people take the piss, if they wish to use it then get a monthly membership, penny and bun sorting to mind otherwise. Harsh? Maybe, but when I had my old garage someone I barely new turned up one day lying to my apprentice saying i said it was ok for him to use the ramp for a bit. He fucked up am exhaust on it, broke one of my sockets, topped up all his fluids, left the place like a shithole and offered no renumeration from it. A real mate pays you without asking and keeps the place immaculate.

6. Security.

We use fingerprint scanners and coded security locks plus the site is VERY secure.

7. Battery disconnected rule hasn't been mentioned but wouldn't be the end of the world.

Overall it works.

Things that could be improved:

Avoid having someone who's in charge as it can go to their heads. Most issues can be resolved easily and one person having complete power doesn't helpr situation is slightly different as the manager lives onsite so it's not off the wall to do it.

Some better communal tools would be a plan, a decent cordless impact wrench and so on.

I couldn't have done without it this last year and I'm ltd company so it's all tax deductable but I'd even pay out of my own pocket for it for the pleasure of knowing all my tools are in one lane and accessible at anytime is great.

I tried the search function looking for any posts of yours NOT using the phrase, "limited company", but there aren't any.

Oh. Right. Thanks. Does the fact that I'm still breathing upset you too ?  

I don't know what to say, other than something about your over use of your left hand to pleasure yourself.

But that would be rude and disrespectful. So I won't call you a Wanker at all.

Yeah, I spoke to one of the guys the other night. They are able to claim non profit organisation hence no council tax. They pay about £20 a month for a bin collection however in my opinion you could take your waste home. No gas, just leccy.

Its a big space 6 cars easy which probably helps with the lack of arguments! I have used space there without issue. I didn't ask how much a month because its not in the West Midlands so not really a useful comparison. If you do have any specific questions I can ask. I know 1 guy pays the bills and the others DD to him.

Oh and the unit also has 3 outside spaces in a gated off area.

Yeah, I spoke to one of the guys the other night. They are able to claim non profit organisation hence no council tax. They pay about £20 a month for a bin collection however in my opinion you could take your waste home. No gas, just leccy.

Its a big space 6 cars easy which probably helps with the lack of arguments! I have used space there without issue. I didn't ask how much a month because its not in the West Midlands so not really a useful comparison. If you do have any specific questions I can ask. I know 1 guy pays the bills and the others DD to him.

Oh and the unit also has 3 outside spaces in a gated off area.

Yours and others tales of it working have led me to conclude that it is possible and the idea has merit. I seriously want to make the dream a reality now so here's hoping it will happen.

So here are the details & photos.

The workshop was originally built in the 1950’s and extended over the years, to a three bay unit with stores, office and bench / press area. In total it covers almost 1000 sq feet and the workshop floor measures 11 metres by 8 metres.

It needs the walls painting and the floor could do with a coat too. Access is via the roll over doors but it may be prudent to put a pedestrian access in and make the roll overs more secure, just a thought.

Plenty of options I reckon, see what you think.

post-19581-0-06830000-1510412798_thumb.jpeg

post-19581-0-67271600-1510412837_thumb.jpeg

post-19581-0-84049000-1510412889_thumb.jpeg

post-19581-0-48198600-1510412920_thumb.jpeg

post-19581-0-40183100-1510412952_thumb.jpeg

If you fancy a viewing let me know. Rent would be in the order of £500pm, though I sense room for haggling a little. Electric is connected but useage would be extra.

Place is in the process of being cleared after the previous incumbent had vacated.

FOADWERX 2.0 is shared between 3 of us.

34539235063_ab32356df8_c.jpgDSC_0159 by srblythe, on Flickr

33755931124_34cd1c2528_c.jpgDSC_0554 by srblythe, on Flickr

There's not a lot of room inside, Derskine usually keeps a car inside and me and Nisfan leave our stuff outside.

33653294930_be755ccec2_c.jpgDSC_0882 by srblythe, on Flickr

We usually just chip in for our gear so there are no arguments over equipment, we all own the welder, ramp, tyre machine and have our separate toolboxes.

Rent is £250 per month so works out at £85 each with a couple of quid on electricity. We have 3 phase which is nice and opens up a world of cheap but higher quality equipment.

We also have out own private test track!

23670840036_14cdf22f0b_c.jpgFoadwerx 2.0 Test track by srblythe, on Flickr

21013957730_31df97f7d7_c.jpgSteam powered by srblythe, on Flickr

How far would people in general be prepared to travel to such a place? That Tamworth one for example would be 36 miles and an hour which I think would be my upper limit. The kind of car I plan to be storing would be something that would only come out to go to events and meets so would not need to be super accessible. I would be prepared to travel that far to do a full days tinkering too. Hell it currently takes me nearly an hour to drive the 12 miles to my mother's house whenever I need to use her driveway to work on a car.

FOADWERX 2.0 is shared between 3 of us.

34539235063_ab32356df8_c.jpgDSC_0159 by srblythe, on Flickr

33755931124_34cd1c2528_c.jpgDSC_0554 by srblythe, on Flickr

There's not a lot of room inside, Derskine usually keeps a car inside and me and Nisfan leave our stuff outside.

33653294930_be755ccec2_c.jpgDSC_0882 by srblythe, on Flickr

We usually just chip in for our gear so there are no arguments over equipment, we all own the welder, ramp, tyre machine and have our separate toolboxes.

Rent is £250 per month so works out at £85 each with a couple of quid on electricity. We have 3 phase which is nice and opens up a world of cheap but higher quality equipment.

We also have out own private test track!

23670840036_14cdf22f0b_c.jpgFoadwerx 2.0 Test track by srblythe, on Flickr

21013957730_31df97f7d7_c.jpgSteam powered by srblythe, on Flickr

Test track & a 127 for the double win! Top man.

It'd be 46 miles across country for me for that Tamworth one, which is a little further than I'd like, but I think still doable. Not sure that I would be storing a vehicle there to start with - the first job would be a sill patch on one of the dailies. The other stuff I'd need to trailer there.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Must admit I LOL'd at that, there is an element of truth in it you know

I know. I'm a twat. Everyone that has ever spent less than an hour in my company thinks I'm a grade A twat. My internet persona is worse. Must try harder to be erm normal.

I could be interested in joining this. It's not that much different getting to Tamworth than Cannock and I do that for meeting people and talking cars.

Plus the Suzuki's stall is cheap and local, but may be for a limited time so I will need room for a little one at some point.

I could be interested in joining this. It's not that much different getting to Tamworth than Cannock and I do that for meeting people and talking cars.

Plus the Suzuki's stall is cheap and local, but may be for a limited time so I will need room for a little one at some point.

If the SC100 does become a resident of the Midlands shiting HQ you are more than welcome to use my welder if it needs it, still has gas in it since I last used it ages ago.

I forgot to say what the unit we viewed today was like. Pretty darn good! Lots of space both inside and outside and a good location in terms of local amenities and facilities. The only way it could be better for the money is be nearer my house but I am more than prepared to travel the distance to this unit if we get this idea of the ground.