Starting a garage community?

Heidel_Kakao

I think there was a thread similar to this but I tried to search and failed :(

If I ever manage to buy a car worth storing I would need to find somewhere to keep it. I don't know if anyone remembers Area 52 over on Retro Rides but I am trying to see how feasible it would to start something similar in the West Midlands.

The biggest hurdle as I see it would be finding enough people to split the cost of a suitable unit. If it could be made to work though it would be awesome as I would rather have somewhere to work on cars and have play days as opposed to just pure storage.

I am just thinking aloud here but if anyone has any input or thoughts please chip in!

Bloody hell, £100 a month would mean I got a new car every month!

I can see it working if you get trusted shitters in so people don't just vanish without paying.

To be fair, dependant on cost, I'd be interested. I'm paying £100 a month for one car right now....

Yeah if people like yourself are already prepared to pay £100 per month for just one car if you could get the same price or cheaper plus the benefit of being able to work on your car it could be doable

Bloody hell, £100 a month would mean I got a new car every month!

I can see it working if you get trusted shitters in so people don't just vanish without paying.

Yeah you would need trusted people for sure as I could cover the initial deposit to get it kick-started but then you need everyone else to pay up on time each month so you don't end up out of pocket.

http://www.sellers-surveyors.co.uk/property/unit-29-wallows-industrial-estate-fens-pool-avenue-brierley-hill-west-midlands-dy5-1qa/2150

This is on an estate just down the road from me. Does anyone know how many cars you could fit in that kind of space?

Sadly private lockups are about £22 a week, and council ones have queues in the years now. So I figured for an extra £12 a month an actual dry and secure storage for a car was worth it. I've potentially got to stick another one in storage in the longish term so..

Something happened but I've no idea what, don't know if it was a people or property problem.

People's priorities and cash flows change which can be an issue.

Nor me but it just stopped. I don't think it was that cheap to keep your car there.

Nor me but it just stopped. I don't think it was that cheap to keep your car there.

It’s a good theory, but I’d always be paranoid that a mate’s mate would ‘help out’, fire up a grinder next to my stored car, and leave a thorough covering of metal filings on my glass and paintwork.

It’s a good theory, but I’d always be paranoid that a mate’s mate would ‘help out’, fire up a grinder next to my stored car, and leave a thorough covering of metal filings on my glass and paintwork.

Or set fire when welding, or 'borrow' your battery charger, ramps, axle stands. Or forget to lock up/switch the lights out....

It always ends in misery for someone.

I'd actually be interested, even though I'm down near the smoke I intend to move soon, and am desperate for storage just now.

Some kind of camera system could be worth having, interested parties being able to keep a eye on it via internet would be good security. Probably worth some kind of batteries disconnected rule, and a metal box or outdoor spot for charging, welding is risky, need to be wary of possibility of cars going up some hours afterward, and maybe some means of checking on anyone working alone, the best of us can get tangled up in mechanisms.

Don't need long term undercover storage but would be well up for a bay to work in every so often, at least till I've built the sort of garage I'd like at Chez Chod

Also, an all-weather indoor Field of Dreams with the attendant opportunities for communal chod bothering lights my fire...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

I have the possibility of an old workshop with three bays, a small parts store, office and wash room. It’s the one I was looking for opinions on rent-a-ramp. If it’s of interest I will find out some further details as it’s now empty.

Location is Tamworth

Yeah details would be good please if only to get a feel for what is available and for how much.

West Mids area wouldnt be too far for me, I am maxed out at home and Mrs T would go banana's if anything else turned up. However if she couldnt see it, how could she go banana's.

I like your logic :)

Always wondered about taking on a small unit myself, but some questions come to mind

On top of the rent I believe you may need to pay business rates as funnily enough they are classed as business premises. Not sure how this is worked out.

Do you not need to get a non domestic electrickery tariff, and is that more expensive or cheaper than domestic?

When I have idly looked, some of the estates you need to pay factor fees

Insurance may be needed in case you burn the place down. Not sure what this would cost.

Would love one. It would make life so much easier. Get a big enough one & I could live in it too!

Or Cuba? I bet property is cheap there, though the bribes needed to live in it, weld in it, and make your own brake fluid in it are probably ruinous...

Anyhoo, what are we talking about here? Storage only? Or a maintenance bay for those shiters that can get their chod there legally under its own steam (pun intended)/on a trailer? Or a combination of both? Sure, it depends very much on the type and size of property and how prohibitive the costs of doing it legally and safely would be. As has been mentioned above, some basic rules to stop damage to each others rammel and keep the place from burning down are essential, but that doesn't necessarily add much to the cost.

To be clear, I don't need more storage. I do not need anything that might allow me to further increase the fleet. What I need is somewhere where I can do balljoints and the odd patch without lying in the gutter with a mains cable across the pavement...

Or Cuba? I bet property is cheap there, though the bribes needed to live in it, weld in it, and make your own brake fluid in it are probably ruinous...

Anyhoo, what are we talking about here? Storage only? Or a maintenance bay for those shiters that can get their chod there legally under its own steam (pun intended)/on a trailer? Or a combination of both? Sure, it depends very much on the type and size of property and how prohibitive the costs of doing it legally and safely would be. As has been mentioned above, some basic rules to stop damage to each others rammel and keep the place from burning down are essential, but that doesn't necessarily add much to the cost.

To be clear, I don't need more storage. I do not need anything that might allow me to further increase the fleet. What I need is somewhere where I can do balljoints and the odd patch without lying in the gutter with a mains cable across the pavement...

A bit of both would be the aim, storage and somewhere to work on the cars. Also a bit of office space would be nice so a sofa, kettle, fridge etc could be installed for ultimate man cave status.

I am planning to actually view a few units soon to get an idea of what you get for your money. I already did some "research" and walked around the nearest industrial estate.

Here's a ridiculous conundrum. I am SO old I have the full measure of grandfather rights on my licence. Yup. Up to 3.5 tonnes and towing. And two of my vehicles have tow bars.

Are either of them on the road?

Nope

Is one that requires some* patches for its MOT also one with a towbar?

Yup

What about the other vehicle with a towbar... is the towbar on that capable of pulling a large car (see above)?

Nope (my tame MOT tester has advised me never to use the towbar: he's seen how it's attached)

So, a bit of a epic phail really.

In parts of the world you can rent an industrial unit for about £600 a month. Put it through a Ltd company or sole trader business, and it's tax deductible.

So everyone either becomes a director of a limited company that rents out space to private individuals (who also happen to be directors). and the Limited company makes a small loss most years. Or One person rents it, and then sublets a space to everyone else - this is something that is done in offices now. you can actually rent office space by the desk (and even by the hour) The sublettors decide if they want to register for self assessment and put it through as a business cost.

Rules ? 

1) All cars must be covered in suitable sheeting to prevent grinding dust and overspray causing damage. If you don't protect your own car then that's your problem.  

2) Use of equipment is at own risk. If you help anyone else out it is at THERE risk.

3) Welding and Grinding can not be done alone.

4) Paint Spraying is only allowed if there is a painting booth with extraction.

5) Everyone provides their own lockable tool storage.  And each person provides a big fire extinguisher for each car they store.

6) But Nobody uses anyone else's tools without express permission.

7) 2 lifts are provided. One is bookable in 6 hour slots, in advance. The other is bookable in 2 hour slots, One hour ahead.

In parts of the world you can rent an industrial unit for about £600 a month. Put it through a Ltd company or sole trader business, and it's tax deductible.

If it's a business, it doesn't matter whether it's a sole trader, partnership, LLP, charitable trust, plc or limited company or any other business entity. It's tax deductible for any legal persona.

I tried the search function looking for any posts of yours NOT using the phrase, "limited company", but there aren't any.

3 of my mates do this and have been doing happily for years. Probably 10 or more years in fact. The rules are very relaxed. Its a great unit with 2 ramps, lathes, CNC (broken project), rolling road (yes really). People weld, paint and fabricate all on their own stuff without drama. Although one guy buys loads of projects!!!

I think they somehow got around the business rates thing but pay some kind of council tax that gets the bins emptied. I will try to pop down and get a better idea on the rough costs if it would help anyone.