Now a 2003 Volvo XC70 D5... Here we go again...

Roverageous

Well bought sir. These (and the S60s) have just about the most well screwed together dashboards and interiors you can ask for. They may not be quite ergonomically up there with others but they feel like they could survive a grenade going off in the footwell.

attachicon.gifVincent-The-Volvo.jpg

attachicon.gifVincent-The-Volvo-Arse.jpg

My V70 was a 140hp manual and boy was it slow. But in all other respects it was an absolutely wonderful barge. But it was so slow. If it'd been the 170hp I'd still have it today...I think I was changing down into 4th on motorways on inclines when going on holiday and decided that I just needed something a little more effortless.

How could it be slow with that tailgate spoiler?

Iirc the 140bhp engine is identical* to the 170bhp but only difference being the engine map. I forget the reason why they did it, but I guess tax or model differentiation reasons. The ECU is heavily locked down making it hard to remap it back to 170bhp.

Probably explains the wierd power curves too.

* This is all from my (poor) memory and not being a Volvo licker I could have confused this with another car...

Iirc the 140bhp engine is identical* to the 170bhp but only difference being the engine map. I forget the reason why they did it, but I guess tax or model differentiation reasons. The ECU is heavily locked down making it hard to remap it back to 170bhp.

Probably explains the wierd power curves too.

* This is all from my (poor) memory and not being a Volvo licker I could have confused this with another car...

Bang on. Big flat spot in the 140bhp over a certain rpm whereas the 170bhp keeps pulling.

I'd love a go in a v70r......

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry, they're tough engines. Sounds like a case of being a bit grumpy from under use. Both my 5 pots have done that: leave them for a couple of days or more and they don't like it. They can run unevenly and a bit noisy until warmed through.

Sounds good. It’s done 250 miles today and has run superbly apart from those couple of noisy seconds this morning.

That looks lovely! It's making me nostalgic for the T5 I had, what colour is the interior? Mine had the cream seats and light brown carpets (I believe the interior was called "Oak") which looked great and was so much easier to keep clean than the all black I have now.

attachicon.gifDSCN5204.JPG

They really are handsome cars and they handle so much better than a huge estate car has any right to, mine was also much quicker than anyone expected it to be, quite the "Q" car.

attachicon.gifDSCN5208.JPG

Worthing sea front?

I used to walk my dog along there hundreds of years ago.

Probably hydraulic tapets and the oil draining out over night. My MX5 used to do it and sounded horrible on a cold startup. As long as it's not doing for extended periods when cold and it's not happening all the time, I personally wouldn't be worrying.

Probably hydraulic tapets and the oil draining out over night. My MX5 used to do it and sounded horrible on a cold startup. As long as it's not doing for extended periods when cold and it's not happening all the time, I personally wouldn't be worrying.

Started it up this morning and it was as quiet as a quiet thing :)

Hopefully just wanted a blast which it had yesterday!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well this has had a good 500 miles done in it now. It's a properly lovely car. Lovely interior, fantastic seats, uber flexible engine.

Amazingly competent at eating up motorway miles, however it would be nice if the ride was a little more compliant. I've probably been spoilt by them Rovers.

Over its first tank of fuel it has averaged 38mpg which is 400 miles of motorway & the rest pootling and say in traffic.

Rather happy all round!

Spoke too soon didn't I.

Took it on some of Oxfordshire's finest* roads this evening. I now have a LOT of creaking from the rear end & a clunk from the centre console (definitely in the cabin) every time I touch the brake pedal (but not with the ignition off).

Fucksake.