Now a 2003 Volvo XC70 D5... Here we go again...

Roverageous

A friend of mine's had an auto diesel one of these for years, it just goes on and on, never gives any trouble and is superbly comfortable.  Great long-distance cruiser, the only thing he's ever complained about is the ludicrously large turning circle, which I discovered when manoeuvring it on board a ferry a couple of years back.  With prices coming down, I think I might have to get one at some point, they seem to be a pretty good car for every eventuality.  

I should advise that to become happy with V70 ownership and large Volvo ownership in general you need to get used to strange clunks, crashes and creaks from the front and rear suspensiony (?) areas.

My passenger-side front occasionally makes a noise almost exactly like a snapped spring. It has been inspected thoroughly twice and on both times I've been reassured that more or less everything at the front of the car is in good nick!

I should advise that to become happy with V70 ownership and large Volvo ownership in general you need to get used to strange clunks, crashes and creaks from the front and rear suspensiony (?) areas.

My passenger-side front occasionally makes a noise almost exactly like a snapped spring. It has been inspected thoroughly twice and on both times I've been reassured that more or less everything at the front of the car is in good nick!

It creaked a bit last night so I'm wondering if it's temperature related. I think it's the rear top mounts but it'll get through winter before being looked at.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry, they're tough engines. Sounds like a case of being a bit grumpy from under use. Both my 5 pots have done that: leave them for a couple of days or more and they don't like it. They can run unevenly and a bit noisy until warmed through.

Right I feel a bit of a knob, but what I was hearing was NOT engine noise!

It’s some motor / solenoid in the dash that goes TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICK for about 10 seconds. I think it’s to do with the interior blower or something.

Ah. My heater on the passenger side goes tickticktickticktick when I'm turning right (S60).

I suspect it's a heater fan bearing, if that can be a thing?

Also re turning cirlce; perhaps it's because it's a smaller car, but the S60's turning circle is utterly diabolical and I note it every time I try to do a turn in the road in a village somewhere. :-D

Right I feel a bit of a knob, but what I was hearing was NOT engine noise!

It’s some motor / solenoid in the dash that goes TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICK for about 10 seconds. I think it’s to do with the interior blower or something.

Distribution flap test sequence. To be fair, I should've thought of that too.

I've got a red Y-reg S60 T5 with off-black leather which is bloody ace. Unfortunately it's probably going to have to go 'cos small people mean prams and the S60 is more or less incapable of fitting a pram in the boot. Also IIRC the S60 floorpan is about 40mm less than the V70 so there's naff all room in the back despite all being the same up front. I have been looking at V70s but they fetch decent coin and my S60 is a pretty good example so I'm loathe to ship it out.

Mine did cause me concern for electrical maladies but it turns out that the earlier S60s and P2 V70s have an automatic recirc cycle; after driving with the aircon on for at least ten minutes, when you park up the car sits live for a few minutes before going into a 'sleep' cycle. After fifty minutes and subject to battery voltage it will run the blowers and aircon at full pelt for about seven to nine minutes to clear any condensation in the aircon system. I did not know this and shat it a bit when I heard the fans running from my bed, ran downstairs in my grundies and saw the dashboard was completely dead but all the fans were going.

'cos small people mean prams and the S60 is more or less incapable of fitting a pram in the boot.

FFS. With number 1 I used to chuck a pram in a 106. Just don't have a big fuck-off pavement hogger.

Even with number 2 - 17 months behind - and a double buggy, that used to go in the Pug as one of the rear wheels could be fired off quickly. Even now I've only just gone up in size to Jizz as the main family car.

Top tip: Buy the pram to fit the car, not the other way round.

FFS. With number 1 I used to chuck a pram in a 106. Just don't have a big fuck-off pavement hogger.

Even with number 2 - 17 months behind - and a double buggy, that used to go in the Pug as one of the rear wheels could be fired off quickly. Even now I've only just gone up in size to Jizz as the main family car.

The car was here before the pram... issue being the pram(s - two of) came in part ex for a Volvo V40 with a fucked clutch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know you like your Reliant's but making a Pug a three wheeler is a bit much  :mrgreen:

Legroom in the S60s is naff in the back. It's one thing putting me off upgrading to a V50 when the time comes and instead is making me consider Mondeo hatches (MK4s).

Then I see a 2007 plated V70 in SE spec with chrome trimmings in a shiney paint and I become convinced I'm buying a Volvo again...

Sigh.

Oh dear. Everyone ok?

Dunno, I assume some giffer from the British Legion (with whom I, regrettably, have to share my works car park with) has reversed into it. The car park is gated and I've not had any visitors, so it's got to be one of them or theirs.

As per they've not left a note or any details.

Dunno, I assume some giffer from the British Legion (with whom I, regrettably, have to share my works car park with) has reversed into it. The car park is gated and I've not had any visitors, so it's got to be one of them or theirs.

As per they've not left a note or any details.

Time for a quiet word then...