Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Yeah, thanks. Not my favourite TG moment...

More bad news is having a breakdown on the Shitefest Cymru Test Hill. It was my first attempt. Got to the top, pulled into the car park (much to the amusement of the chaps driving two huge timber lorries), then noticed the oil pressure light was on. Turned off, quick.

A quick inspection revealed that a weeping seal on the oil filler neck has developed into something worse, but the dipstick reckoned there was still plenty of oil. I suspect it just got too thin? I've got a bit of a mix of grades at the moment (30 grade the recommendation). I think I'd better acquire some more, sort the leak and give it an oil change before proceeding too much further.

DYz7UQBXUAAEfzv.jpg

I suspect it just got too thin?

An oil pressure warning lamp on at idle on a hot engine used to be quite common. I've had several older engines that suffered from it.

If you bring the revs off idle, does the lamp go out? If so, it's a combination of hot thin oil, worn bearings allowing excess flow, and maybe a worn oil pump with reduced capacity.

TADTS.

I'd shove some 15W-40 or 15W-50 in it. Multigrade oil is always* better than monograde, especially if you plan to do a longer journey in it, climb big hills etc.

Above 40mph, it is pretty bloody loud, it's true. Definitely sorting that out.

Cant be much louder than a Series 11a pez Land Rover. Reckon that is way the wrong side of 100dB at anything around 50mph

Are you just planning to apply sound deadening under the engine cover and around the back of the seat area? That would keep the original clean appearance at the front end.

Glue lumps of giffer spec household carpet over horsehair for extra kudos 

An oil pressure warning lamp on at idle on a hot engine used to be quite common. I've had several older engines that suffered from it.

If you bring the revs off idle, does the lamp go out? If so, it's a combination of hot thin oil, worn bearings allowing excess flow, and maybe a worn oil pump with reduced capacity.

TADTS.

I'd shove some 15W-40 or 15W-50 in it. Multigrade oil is always* better than monograde, especially if you plan to do a longer journey in it, climb big hills etc.

Yes, went out with raised revs. Bit nervous the first time I tried that! Would hope it isn't worn bearings or oil pump given the engine has covered only 11,300 miles...

Will certainly try thicker oil. 20w50 is my thought.

Oh yes. Only problem is Fish Hill in the Cotswolds. When we went to Bucks Shitefest, we didn't use the motorways.

Is Fish hill same steepness as A417 Birdlip Hill outside Gloucester. 

As a nipper I recall a lot of stuff struggling on that back in the early 1970s, stuff still struggles now

The fact that the 2CV was basically ripped to bits by the jetwash from a jet engine is not the shocker in that video. The amount the roof collapsed on that Mundaneo was really rather surprising. I expected it to cope with a rollover better than that.

Ummm TG pointless stunt so fixed with Mr angle grinder through B/C pillars maybe? cos #all old carz is shit so buy a new Kia

Watch three stooges instead, much funnier

With a hot engine and thin single weight oil yes, expect oil pressure light at low revs. Particularly if there was a lot of cranking trying to get it to start in the freezing cold with choke and unburned petrol getting pushed past the rings into the oil.

Fresh 20W/50 would see it happy, I reckon

Is it in the documentation what pressure the light is meant to go off at?

Phil

With a hot engine and thin single weight oil yes, expect oil pressure light at low revs. Particularly if there was a lot of cranking trying to get it to start in the freezing cold with choke and unburned petrol getting pushed past the rings into the oil.

Fresh 20W/50 would see it happy, I reckon

Is it in the documentation what pressure the light is meant to go off at?

Phil

You wouldn't believe how easily this things starts now, even when it's covered in ice. Fresh oil very much on the To Do list again. I'm sure there is something in the service manual.

Slightly concerned that after a lengthy period to cool down, the light still refuses to go off at idle. Maybe I should replace the switch too, ensure it's not lying to me (or at least swap it with the other one I have).

Cant be much louder than a Series 11a pez Land Rover. Reckon that is way the wrong side of 100dB at anything around 50mph

Are you just planning to apply sound deadening under the engine cover and around the back of the seat area? That would keep the original clean appearance at the front end.

Glue lumps of giffer spec household carpet over horsehair for extra kudos 

I think it's louder than the 2CV, which is going some. Definitely doing to sound deaden the inside engine cover, as it's the transmission that's particularly loud, and it's right behind you! Will have to see what carpet I can find...

If it's anything like other air-cooled flat engines, there is virtually no oil pressure at idle. Certainly that's the way with Panhards (and 2cvs, I assume). I'd only be worried if the oil light came on when you were pressing on, but you might as well chuck some thicker stuff in if it'll ease your mind. Probably best to stop it leaking though, innit

Indeed. I'll have to have the filler off and see what's what. Maybe some instant gasket will improve matters. Or maybe there's a small split in the filler neck that I've not noticed. It's quite vulnerable to knocks when installing/removing.

I've only ever had one A-Series Citroen that had the oil light come on at idle, and that was a Dyane with 170,000 miles on it, that got through almost as much oil as petrol.

Would hope it isn't worn bearings or oil pump given the engine has covered only 11,300 miles...

True, but all of that will have been cold starts and absurdly short journeys. The % of those miles done on choke is probably staggeringly high, so the wear on the engine could easily be quite significant.

Heavier weight oil and ignore the lamp at idle is the easiest fix.

Coupled with the requirement for a fairly low idle speed so the clutch system doesn't engage probably all adds up

The oil may just have broken down- if it's coming out of the filler then it's likely too thin by now. Has it turned color any? Potentially all the gunk that was jamming it up had cleared out, particularly if you've got modern detergent oil in it.

Yes, went out with raised revs. Bit nervous the first time I tried that! Would hope it isn't worn bearings or oil pump given the engine has covered only 11,300 miles...

Will certainly try thicker oil. 20w50 is my thought.

i would be staggered if that is the original engine,or speedo.when these came in for repair for an engine fault,most often the whole lump was changed rather than stripped

maybe the oil pressure bulb was intended for the hard of hearing customers to let them know the engine was still running :D

Replace oil pressure sender with pipe to a mechanical gauge. pretty sure I have one I can lend you to check oil pressure. will have a dig around tomorrow..

I think it's louder than the 2CV, which is going some. Definitely doing to sound deaden the inside engine cover, as it's the transmission that's particularly loud, and it's right behind you! Will have to see what carpet I can find...

I can picture the designer shrugging their shoulders and saying cynically "They're probably deaf anyway" before lighting his pipe and inviting the typists to the pub at lunchtime.

Found a 3-gauge bracket in my garage the other day. Decided it's going straight under the dash in mine...populated with an oil pressure, oil temperature gauge and an ammeter. Those strike me as being useful things to know on something like this.

Meh. I started fitting things like cylinder head temp gauges to the 2CV, and it made me worry more. So I removed it again.

Meh. I started fitting things like cylinder head temp gauges to the 2CV, and it made me worry more. So I removed it again.

True enough I guess...though it has been kicking around for at least a couple of decades now, so seems a shame not to use it. Nearly binned it when clearing the place out for the Invacar. It's even got the oil pressure gauge already in it.

Folks bought it for me back when I had the first Metro if I remember rightly...