Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

That must of been fun driving the Front wheel right through the snow line left by regular boring old 4 "legged" cars :) very nice photo too, I can just imagine someone standing there watching in bemusement as they see this blue dot from the hills slowly grow into an invacar...

(its now showing up as Taxed on the DVLA site now, but still says 9999c "Yeah honest bruv its got a 10L engine according to the Government!"  :mrgreen: )

It was terrifying in the ruts. Soon learnt it was better to shove one of the rear wheels into the snow, and keep the front wheel out of it.

Anyway, emboldened by that drive, I went further.

DYv3iB0XkAEvicV.jpg

She's now covered over 55 miles under her own power! The drive back saw me tackle a really steep hill. She almost conked out halfway up, and needed to pause for a rest, but she was running better than ever by the time I got back home. Someone gave me some fuel system cleaner that they recommended. It smelt like thinners, but I chucked it in, and maybe it does actually work. Time will tell...

Was getting quite bold towards the end, and cornering at 30-40mph. 

Doubt DW would want to come that far south before heading east. My Parents live not far from DW, and it's by far the better route to cross the Severn up by Gloucester. That said, that then means using the A417 past the Air Baloon.. That could be a bit interesting* in an invacar that won't run properly.

Invacars were banned from the motorway,but now its registered as tricycle rather than invalid carriage that might solve that? Although I wouldn't, driving a pig in a strong crosswind is bad enough,but in an inva would genuinely be dangerous, the wind gets under the front end and lifts it up,blowing it across the road.

Crosswinds in the Rialto are fun*. The wind seems to get in the hollow void at the side of the body and lift the front end up.

Crosswinds in the Rialto are fun*. The wind seems to get in the hollow void at the side of the body and lift the front end up.

I was once bombing around a roundabout in the 2CV on a windy day, with my usual typical hoon mode engaged. The wind caught the underside as I exited the roundabout. It's the only time I've been in a 2CV and felt it was going to tip! Terrifying. It didn't though, thankfully.

Fish Hill in the RAV4 towing a caravan, with a dodgy water pump was slow going! Took the 2CV up it a few weeks back and actually overtook some other cars! The variomatic of the Invacar actually makes it pretty good for hills, because the engine is in its sweet spot for torque regardless of your road speed.