Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Oh this is good. Angry Dicky informs me that I'd just failed to remove the plastic plug before trying to fit the old pushrod to the new master cylinder. Anyone would think I don't have a clue what I'm doing...

Kind of, the metal pushrod retaining washer was jammed in there making the bore size appear much smaller on that cylinder than the other. I levered it out and pulled the pistons out of both to double check the sizes - both spot on at 5/16". They'll be winging their way back to you as I type this. Easy mistake to make, embarrassing one though!

I think I need an MOT before I can change the tax class though?

Sort of. You can't change now, you must be ready to tax it.

I've got a tricycle in the bicycle/tricycle tax class which should be in the historic. Can't change it until I'm ready to tax it. Asked in the Reading local office years ago as I was in for something else.

Now there are no local offices, it should be something that can be done at PO that deals with vehicle tax.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Busy day, just stopping for lunch...

So, new master cylinder fitted with no problems. New rear brake pipe made up after my mate Jasper came around to help with the flaring tool. He also helped do battle with the shoes. All refitted, just two brakes left!

DUedG3gWkAUpfWq.jpg

In other news, I've pulled the entire inlet manifold off to fit to the spares car, in order to test the engine. That might be a two person job though, so may have to wait until tomorrow to try.

Oh FFS. Weather forecast for tomorrow? Pissio towers. All day. Guess I won't be getting the spares car running then. Rain can PISS OFF.

So, I guess I'll be replacing the other wheel cylinders on TWC then. I'm hoping I can get away with no removing the shoes because I'm not sure my anger levels can cope with more shoe misbehaviour. 

With rain having ruined my plans, I set about replacing the nearside wheel cylinder. Far less fiasco this side thankfully, though the shoes still invoked some swearing.

DUi9nQYWsAIkQ0D.jpg

Especially as I'd lost my long-nosed pliers, that we used to fit the spring on the offside just yesterday. I tried the 'piece of string' technique though, and it worked! Got it on camera too. Then, as I went to get the shoes sitting nicely, the bottom spring fell out again. UGH. Then I got it in place with my bare fingers. I'm still not sure how but naturally, the camera wasn't running at this point. 

I also identified that the handbrake mechanism had been set-up incorrectly yesterday, so I'll have to pull the other side back apart again. Mind you, I've just remembered that I forgot to fit the shoe retaining springs on the nearside, so THAT will have to come apart again too. Did I mention that I hate drum brakes?

You need the post war attitude that sort of eventually spawned these cars. It could be worse, could be inboard drum brakes.

Keep at it. They can be infuriating, painful, slow items to work on but once they're back in properly, well adjusted drum brakes aren't bad to use. Particularly if compared to unassisted disc brakes of similar vintage

Phil

Many hoorays! Well done, bet that feels better.

It's nice. A warm glow for sure after a tricky few weeks.

Sadly, video production hasn't gone well today. I completely forgot to record some stages, and the celebratory bit when me and Mrs DW had the brakes working seems not to have recorded at all, possibly because I was a bit too excited. Oh well!