Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

I might have some thick cork seal that was used in the 70s to make rocker cover gaskets I could post to you if you think it'd be any use

I think the way they did it was to put on on as a sheet then tap round the edge with a hammer to cut it to the exact shape

Thanks, but the rocker covers seem ok. They're rubber, and I imagine I can buy new ones easily enough.

the fountain that was filled with soap power every Saturday is still in place.

I have never done this.  Well, not powder anyway.

The main difference with Portsmouth now is that you're no longer greeted by the Tricorn centre as you come off the bottom of the M275.  You have, however, had to drive a little slower to get there, as the junction that was part-built at Tipner for years has now been finished, and it's too close to everything else to allow the 70MPH limit, so it's all 60 now.

Mine has basically been a huge dumping grounds since the day we moved in.  I was just about to start sorting it out when I at near zero notice had to clear all my stuff from my parents place - which was unceremoniously dumped in there.  I've wanted to get it sorted out for at least the last two years, but kept failing to summon the willpower to actually do it.

However now thanks to you *points accusingly* I'm actually going to need the garage...so it's finally getting sorted out.

There's a chronic lack of shelving etc which I'll also need to address at some point, as otherwise the lack of places to put stuff is going to drive me mad in short order.

After a few days away from the garage, enthusiasm levels are rising again. 

I now have a brake pipe flaring kit, and am hopeful that I haven't utterly ruined the new wheel cylinder. That's tomorrow's job. I'll also give the distributor in the spares car another soak in penetrating oil (I'm running out, have also soaked it in ATF) though it shows no signs of moving yet. So, I may move on to checking the static timing of THAT engine to see if it's anywhere close. I know it turns. If it seems likely, I need to rob some bits from the knackered engine to investigate whether it'll run. All this may get delayed by the weather as snow is forecast overnight...

If that scuppers plans, then I'll just crack on with brakes.

Yep... I've got a little pale blue project car inbound, hopefully this week sometime.

I'm massively envious of the condition of the bodywork on both of DW's...mine has been massively hacked about in a previous life to serve as a tug on a caravan park apparently.  As a result it's currently sitting on two Daimler Sovereign rear wheels (welded onto the original wheels), the arches having been hacked away to fit them, so the whole wheel tubs are both long gone.  ...as is the entire nose.

She's gonna need a lot of work.  A lot of work...

One of these days I'm going to take up a nice cheap hobby...like stamp collecting.

Yep... I've got a little pale blue project car inbound, hopefully this week sometime.

I'm massively envious of the condition of the bodywork on both of DW's...mine has been massively hacked about in a previous life to serve as a tug on a caravan park apparently.  As a result it's currently sitting on two Daimler Sovereign rear wheels (welded onto the original wheels), the arches having been hacked away to fit them, so the whole wheel tubs are both long gone.  ...as is the entire nose.

She's gonna need a lot of work.  A lot of work...

One of these days I'm going to take up a nice cheap hobby...like stamp collecting.

I know where that came from,it was owned by a chap that worked with my grandad in the 60s at an invacar repairers,he lived locally and took 5 Villiers powered cars home to use as sheds,as well as your model 70,and tonnes of spares,he died a year or two ago and fortunately they were saved when it was cleared.I had known they had been there since the early 80s

I know where that came from,it was owned by a chap that worked with my grandad in the 60s at an invacar repairers,he lived locally and took 5 Villiers powered cars home to use as sheds,as well as your model 70,and tonnes of spares,he died a year or two ago and fortunately they were saved when it was cleared.I had known they had been there since the early 80s

That would tie in the the last marking on the service plate being 88 I think.

It's a bloody small world isn't it!

I'll stick a couple of photos up tomorrow - don't want to derail the tread too much though!

This wasn't really planned, things just sort of fell into place!

In addition to huge missing chunks of bodywork, the wiring loom has been massively hacked about and the floor has about as much structural integrity as a soggy teabag.  Chassis thankfully (and much to my surprise) seems sound as a pound though.

Sensible plan would be to strip it back and sort the floor etc first...we all know that's not going to happen though and first on the list will be getting the engine going.  Last ran in 2016 apparently so hopefully that won't be too hard...though running and running well are two very different things!

Well first on the list actually will be to hit the thing with the pressure washer to remove decades of lichen and moss...it currently has its own ecosystem.

It's been available for a while apparently, but never actively advertised. Various ideas for things to do with it (including but not limited to a 4-wheel conversion) have been floated over the years.

I'll stick a photo or two up in the morning when I'm at a computer over on my main blog thread, as my intention is not to derail this one.

Nor was my intention to steal any thunder here - I'd never even heard of these cars until this thread started... finding a viable project that was local this quickly was at the very least unexpected. My plan had been to start sniffing around with a view to maybe buying something in a year or two!

So, having ruined one brake pipe nut, and possibly the wheel cylinder, I have borrowed two brake pipe flaring things. However, I don't have a nut, so that's the end of that one for a while. More mail ordering to do.

I have fitted the replacement brake light switch, which is slightly the wrong one. I'm hoping it'll still work. May turn my attention to electrics, as it's too cold to be pissing about with the engine in the spares car. Brrr.