Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Now the dizzy is off, I can see that there are no missed bolts. Furthermore, that remnant of shaft can lift slightly, stopped only by the plug of battered alloy that remains.

I'll certainly endeavour to free the dizzy before having any thoughts about engine swappery. I might even dismantle more of the engine to improve access (take the Dynastart off and maybe even the cowling).

Great its off, I did wonder if you`d find some kind of locking pin/biscuit or something as you went down through it seeing what a resistance its put up. Quite amazed nothing more obvious came to light. I just hope the drive hasnt been damaged by all the hammering.

Start soaking the donor cars one in readiness, & if its seized in any way, use a webbing type strap wrench on the bottom section of the dizzy body, maybe after placing a spreading piece behind the pivot to stop the dizzy body cracking again. Maybe putting 4-5 large jubilee`s in a line on it would help direct the force rotationally instead of inwards.

Also, see if you can find a spare dizzy for sale, just in case!

Great its off, I did wonder if you`d find some kind of locking pin/biscuit or something as you went down through it seeing what a resistance its put up. Quite amazed nothing more obvious came to light. I just hope the drive hasnt been damaged by all the hammering.

Start soaking the donor cars one in readiness, & if its seized in any way, use a webbing type strap wrench on the bottom section of the dizzy body, maybe after placing a spreading piece behind the pivot to stop the dizzy body cracking again. Maybe putting 4-5 large jubilee`s in a line on it would help direct the force rotationally instead of inwards.

Also, see if you can find a spare dizzy for sale, just in case!

if the spares car dizzy offers resistance i might be inclined to remove engine, strip and see if it could be pushed from inside.

i am guessing these parts are unobtainium

A new dizzy shouldn't be hard to get. Engine is the same as the Haflinger.

Sure enough, the dizzy on the spares car is not keen to move. The engine cover is damaged on that car, so it's got damp in there as well as just not being touched for 17 years or so.

So, I had a go at brakes. Infuriatingly, the hub gets in the way of the wheel cylinder, but that was overcome and I eventually got it fitted. But can I get the drums back on? No. The springs are little fuckers and have reminded me just how much I hate drum brakes.

You can't assemble the pair and fit, because the hub gets in the way. I can't see any way to remove that, as it seems to be part of the driveshaft. So you have to struggle to fit the shoes with the springs in place first. Got one shoe fitted and then the top spring fell off. Walked away.

AAAARGH! Things have not improved. FINALLY got the shoes back on, only to discover that I'd fitted the wheel cylinder the wrong way around, which means the shoes just will not centralise, so you can't get the drum back on. I was sure I'd checked it...

So, everything had to come back off again. Swapped it around, but then the brake pipe wouldn't tighten...

DTMMPR3W4AEK8N9.jpg

FFS! That's it. No more tinkering this week.

I sympathise DW. There are always days you'd wished you'd given it to the professionals. Come back to it with fresh impetus after a couple of days.

As a series LR botherer, I'm used to the annoyance of drum brakes. Wouldn't mind a picture if the set up on these. Might be able to offer some pointers. Is the cylinder at the top?

Speaking to someone today who has apparently some experience with these little blue buggars, apparently it wasn't unknown for them to be "mistimed" from the factory as the full 20bhp was deemed to be too much in some cases.  So not unknown for them to be poorly tuned as a very crude form of governing engine power.

Speaking to someone today who has apparently some experience with these little blue buggars, apparently it wasn't unknown for them to be "mistimed" from the factory as the full 20bhp was deemed to be too much in some cases.  So not unknown for them to be poorly tuned as a very crude form of governing engine power.

That was my thinking. I'd heard that they were restricted, but didn't know how. Presumably it'd actually start and run fine if it was generally in better health.

I'd guess so - probably just that one thing too many for your one to start at that moment!

Having now encountered just how much they don't weigh, I imagine 20-ish bhp would be verging on terrifying!  The home-built tractor/go-kart we had on the farm was nigh on as heavy, and it felt plenty fast (and was quite capable of drifting in the yard) with half that power...