Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

throughly enjoyed this video of an invacar going round in circles far more then I had any right to :)

its pretty cool to see some external shots of TWC in motion, even if you couldn't quite manage a full doughnut this time, I appreciate the effort  :mrgreen: (if you mouse over the time bar for a preview it looks like one of those fast forwarded benny hill type clips  :mrgreen: )

BTW I noticed in your latest fox post the Model 70 manual in shot :) was that sent in with the fox stuff or is that the manual you have had since the start?

Oh very cool thats nice of him :)

it would be interesting to see if it differs in any way from the manual you already have on hand :) (and of the PDF scan of one I have from Zel)

edit: I noticed it says "drivers handbook" was this something else handed out to anyone who got issued an invacar or is that what the Manual does say on the front?

iv never actually seen a model 70 Manual of any kind apart from the PDF scan i have so I dont actually know what to look for...

I think it's the same manual. All very high-level about how to drive one. Naturally, not much on looking after one, because you didn't have to do that.

"It is not recommended to exceed 50mph." Oops...

interesting, the manual PDF I have seems to be more a "workshop manual" then an "owners manual"

and it goes into a lot of detail about servicing everything, but does not really go into how to actually drive one

(im pretty sure the engine section is directly from/written by steyr puch :) )

for example I somehow I doubt they expected the disabled users to be able to such things like remove the engine/transmission  :mrgreen:

post-25614-0-69786200-1549474865_thumb.png

heres a link to the PDF on Zels website http://loz.zelandeth.org/cars/ac-model-70/Invacar_Manual.pdf

Oh, thank you! It'll probably arrive tomorrow. When I'll be in Buckinghamshire... (sod's law!)

I did have a run out in TWC today, because the weather was just beautiful. It was seriously warm and very pleasant indeed.

DzYBkMUXgAIkfWz.jpg

On the flat and downhill, she's an absolute riot. Uphill, still just painful. Still, hopefully I can do something about that next month. I need to get the Fox finished (or at least roadworthy) and then TWC is due another session in the garage. Full service, new pulleys and belts, new transmission fluid etc.

Sadly can't really offer any hill comparison yet... I've driven up the one through our neighborhood a few times and don't recall noticing any real difference to on the level...though it's not massively steep really and is a 30mph zone so I was hardly flat out anyway...

TWC seems to have got worse. Bit annoyed I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, not that I've had a great deal of time to investigate.

TWC seems to have got worse. Bit annoyed I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, not that I've had a great deal of time to investigate.

gotten worse? its not the brakes sizing up again is it?

I wonder if its worth pointing a camera at the belts system then going for a hilly drive, then watching back the footage so you can observe whats going on exactly? :)

Got some news for DW :)

while speaking to Stuart he told me that TWC725K is actually the oldest known surviving Invacar made Model 70 how cool is that :)

(with TWC725K being the 3rd oldest overall, with GPG721K being the oldest and KPK888K being the second oldest, but those are both ACs)

on this note I think it would be fitting to repair TWCs original engine and reinstall that at some point :)

There has been some mutual trim swappage this week. Now TWC has trims!

Dzyxr01XQAEa5UW.jpg

I also took the opportunity to adjust the belt tension so it's more like TPA. This appears to have made sod all difference to anything other than making the drive take up more snatchy. Oh well. Have also ordered up some service items as she's getting on for her annual service! She can sod off if she thinks she's going to get the regular attention she would have had in service.

There has been some mutual trim swappage this week. Now TWC has trims!

Dzyxr01XQAEa5UW.jpg

I also took the opportunity to adjust the belt tension so it's more like TPA. This appears to have made sod all difference to anything other than making the drive take up more snatchy. Oh well. Have also ordered up some service items as she's getting on for her annual service! She can sod off if she thinks she's going to get the regular attention she would have had in service.

OMG! who are you and what have you done with the Real DW?  :mrgreen:

at this rate you will be fitting new head lamp trim rings and glueing back that small bit of body work that broke off when she fell off the jack stands :)

looking pretty good to me I love how they matching patina with the rest of TWC  :)

(its amazing how much more period and "normal" the hub caps make her look all of sudden #stealthinvacar :) )

we are going to need some new exterior shots of her in motion now :)

It's amazing how something as simple as a set of nave plates can transform the look of a car.

During the 80's there were a couple of local older chaps who had model 70's; I seem to remember they always jolted a little when they pulled away, as if they'd let in the clutch too quickly. Wondering if that's just the way they are?

It's amazing how something as simple as a set of nave plates can transform the look of a car.

During the 80's there were a couple of local older chaps who had model 70's; I seem to remember they always jolted a little when they pulled away, as if they'd let in the clutch too quickly. Wondering if that's just the way they are?

I think thats because technically they would be "letting the clutch in" too quickly, since its a centrifugal clutch I imagine if you from idle at a stop suddenly when full throttle as these where seemingly driven, the clutch would probably fly out quite suddenly with the engine already going at some revs so the rest of the drive system would jerk into motion... (and also any slack being taken up in the drive belt probably wont help either)

well thats my theory at least :)

Used the Invacar for today's post run. Not sure if it's the weather or my recent adjustment of the belts, but by heck she was flying today! There's a hill just outside the village that she usually grudgingly crawls up at 25-30mph that she galloped up at 40 today, and she topped 60 several times. Still not perfect, but definitely better. Sadly, I think the belts are a bit too loose, as she chunters on hill starts. May need a subtle tweak.

Was a lovely day for it.

D0QI4XWWwAIwjRk.jpg

Mmm more Scenic invacar, glad to hear she is running nicely, will be interesting to see if it holds  :)

with the recent pass for the Skoda, im guessing its TWCs turn next? will be very interesting to see how she has faired over the year since her first MOT in 15 years :)

BTW is it me or does that hub cap stick out just a little too far or is it the rusty wheel giving that effect?

Oooh video action! :)

enjoyed that very much, Camera angle worked very well for capturing all the controls/dials in action and the road ahead :)

did you give her a hose down after a visit to the beach due to all the salt?

the transmission comment does make my wonder, what IS under the plate on the gearbox with the Big AC Logo on it? (also on that note have you checked all the gearbox/diff/chain case fluids/whatnot?)

BTW that ptschoo at the end was the first time you managed to capture the fading text on the badge successfully on camera I think  :mrgreen: