Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Had an issue yesterday. The engine cover lock seized.

DWupEESXcAIsM8M.jpg

Had to remove the inner bulkhead, undo the hinges and then gently tug on the cover in many directions until it finally came free. Slightly terrifying with freezing cold fibreglass. Lock freed off and refitted and it now seems to release. Had another little drive to celebrate. Will need to get some fuel as I've now covered over a mile going back and forth on the driveway! Still spitting a bit when revved from idle, but starts absolutely beautifully.

Most annoying thing is the lack of time. Work deadlines mean it's the odd hour here and there at the moment, with tinkering time also getting absorbed by the Honda. 

Interesting.  Take it getting the pins out of the hinges wasn't an option?  That's how mine came off.

Haven't managed to get the inner bulkhead out of mine yet.  Couple of the screw heads are stripped.  Likewise my engine cover lock is seized - albeit luckily in the open position.

Thanks for that shot...tells me exactly where the number plate light lives...

Ah, I can guess whose car that was! I'm glad TWC avoided the fate of being used as a field car.

Have you got any working doorhandles in the stash? I've only got one that works at the moment. The other won't unlock (key turns, but sticks before doing a full rotation. Various fluids have been tried with little joy).

To go back a bit ...to that washed out Mustang.

On another thread of his about changing the oil he gets "advice" to wash out the engine with 20-30 gallons of water, and turn it over a bit.

Probably he believed that and thought it was a good idea. I feel a lot of sympathy for him, he needed help and mentoring, not the answers he got  :-(

Now back to Invacars with dodgy valves. :-D

Finally having a working ignition light on the dash, I can confirm that mine behaves very similarly to yours, though I think it goes out at a slightly lower engine speed.  I've got a couple of spare regulators here, so might try one of those to see if it's different and if not, have a bash at adjusting it.

From my experience of seized fixings, I would advise that the correct size screwdriver is essential. This might sound obvious, but it's amazing how many people just apply any old screwdriver! If these are Philips or Posidriv, then you want a medium/large one which won't slip. Don't be afraid to put your force to it to add some weight so it won't slip.

I would be surprised if the bulb has failed - it's much more likely to be a connection issue especially if it's one of those rotten push-in bulbs.

From my experience of seized fixings, I would advise that the correct size screwdriver is essential. This might sound obvious, but it's amazing how many people just apply any old screwdriver! If these are Philips or Posidriv, then you want a medium/large one which won't slip. Don't be afraid to put your force to it to add some weight so it won't slip.

I would be surprised if the bulb has failed - it's much more likely to be a connection issue especially if it's one of those rotten push-in bulbs.

I'm slightly lost with this one. Are you on about my Invacar or Zel's?