Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Regulator on these is a Bosch unit, and I've heard from a few people in totally different places now that they can be a swine of a thing to adjust properly.

Aye. The procedure is in the manual, and looks horrendous. Especially as you daren't meddle with it running, so you need to put the cover on, THEN see if it's made a difference. May go solid state. Or may just live with it. The fact it keeps starting suggests it's getting enough charge.

Oh, nice. The act of refitting the lid puts it all out of whack?

How novel. Introducing microwave waveguide style tetchiness into something designed to have minimal maintenance.

Phil

No, but it means you can't do adjustments on the fly. It's disconnect battery, remove voltage reg lid, faff about in a very precise manner (preferably with special tools), put lid back on, reconnect battery and see what difference it makes.

not sure if this will work on a dynastart but maybe worth a looksee- check charge light wattage and if its 1.2/1.5w change for a 2w as this has the effect of lowering the required engine speed to start charging (this is a genuine mod for minimetros with a flickering alt light at idle as listed in the good ole HBOL)

No, but it means you can't do adjustments on the fly. It's disconnect battery, remove voltage reg lid, faff about in a very precise manner (preferably with special tools), put lid back on, reconnect battery and see what difference it makes.

That sounds efficient*.

Phil

Just had a thought, Mr Wobbler. Going back to 1998 my Simca suffered HGF, after a short while after reassembly a valve clearance went tight as I put pushrods back in reverse order (ie cylinder 4 had cylinder 1's rods) and had similar symptoms to TWK's chugging idle. Wondering if a bit of build up crud has come off the valve or seat, or something dropped down the manifold, since burnt away, and the clearance has closed up a few thou.

(don't ask it wasn't HGF)

Well done of the fixerating of this here vehicle.

I can remember seeing the odd one about when I was a kid and thought they were total and utter shite.

Nevertheless, I guess some people were mighty pleased to receive one in the days of late 60's mobility.

Seeing the inside of yours confirms the total basicness of the shite, raw glass fibre and basicness.

All a part of motoring history and fair play for taking it on and getting it going, champion of the underdog.

Thanks to Cobblers, who I met at the weekend. He supplied me with a couple of batteries.

Here's a battery tray shot for our other Model 70 shiter.

DWZpySXXcAE5stD.jpg

Utterly failed to take a photo of the battery in place. Can't find the clamp, so it's just bungeed in for now.

Went for another test drive. I now have the front lid from the spares car fitted. The locks are seized on both, because they sit flat and fill up with water. I've gone for a pretty bow for now, but will have to engineer a finer solution.

DWZjCpPWkAAF2ce.jpg

I seem to be cornering the market for cute little cars. The Lexus is clearly going to have to get swapped for something cuter.

The door does work, but they're a bit of faff to open and close at the moment, so I just leave them open, then drive around pretending I'm a delivery driver in the 1970s.

Thanks to Cobblers, who I met at the weekend. He supplied me with a couple of batteries.

Here's a battery tray shot for our other Model 70 shiter.

DWZpySXXcAE5stD.jpg

Utterly failed to take a photo of the battery in place. Can't find the clamp, so it's just bungeed in for now.

Went for another test drive. I now have the front lid from the spares car fitted. The locks are seized on both, because they sit flat and fill up with water. I've gone for a pretty bow for now, but will have to engineer a finer solution.

DWZjCpPWkAAF2ce.jpg

I had to replace the lock on the Rialto bonnet last year too, same thing. Mine looks like a filing cabinet lock.

Doesn't it have a little flap to keep the worst if the elements out? Squidging it full of either silicone grease or the funny gooey stuff you put in phone jacks* may help.

Phil

*It's the same stuff those funny gooey stress ball things you could get that would stick to the wall or a window of you throw them

Doesn't it have a little flap to keep the worst if the elements out? Squidging it full of either silicone grease or the funny gooey stuff you put in phone jacks* may help.

Phil

*It's the same stuff those funny gooey stress ball things you could get that would stick to the wall or a window of you throw them

It does, but I think they're more designed to stop stuff splashing in than deal with a deluge direct into it. I'm not sure they were really designed for horizontal use.

Not much to report really. Still awaiting a 1/4" whitworth spanner so I can get the doors off without yet more socket abuse. Also, the Honda has taken over the garage temporarily. However, I thought it important to have some instructions to hand, given how tricky the Invacar is to drive.

DWj4Cf6X0AAKqrn.jpg

I have also refitted both the external and internal engine covers. Much quieter!

DWj4EcVXcAAtWFY.jpg

A sensible person would have washed the internal cover first, but I kind-of like the moss, and maybe it'll produce oxygen to offset fumes from the heating system.

It's so narrow, I can get away with parking it here. 

DWj4EcaWsAAzdbI.jpg

Went mad in another bit to escape my laptop, and stole the rear window from the spares car.

28058393_10156196774873200_7528431870067

Managed to fit it inside out, despite carefully laying out the window rubber the right way. I'm an idiot. Still, it'll have to come out again I suspect. The seal isn't great, and I should probably sort out the broken bits of bodywork. Still, Invacar is sitting out for a while, so good to have it vaguely weathertight. Especially as a bird flew into it yesterday and shat on the fuel gauge.