Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

That's the one I think...Didn't realise it was meant to have a lid!

First plan for mine is to stick in in the dishwasher, it seems to do a fantastic job of cleaning brass up like new.

I've nothing against the fuses to be honest - it's just the fact that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find them in physical stores that puts them out of contention for me.  The only ones I seem to be able to get within 10 miles of here at suppliers I know are boxes of 2x 20A ones...other ratings, nope!  Have to resort to web based suppliers.

I know, carry spares and all that - but you could be good money on the one day that you accidentally short something out showing someone something and pop the one that isolates the entire starter and ignition system would be the day that the spares weren't in the car or you've just given them to someone at a show to sort their own car out with...Murphy's Law and all that...

When you fix the grp on the door it might be a good idea to use a couple of bighead fasteners to spread the load over a bigger area of the grp to stop it cracking again.

http://www.veckfasteners.com

Scott's composite handbook gives a decent but of info on GRP repair, quite a lot of useless stuff in it as well.

http://cn.scottbader.com/uploads/files/3381_crystic-handbook-dec-05.pdf

Apply to DVLA for V5 history. Enclose £5ish cheque. Worked with one of my previous projects - basically they dig deep into the vaults, and photocopy all the historical V5s they have retained for your vehicle.

I’m amazed the service still exists to be honest - do it while you can.

Doubt it'll work. These were never registered to the driver as far as I can work out.

Just a thought, DW. Have you done a compression test on the engine yet?

Mate was by here today and mentioned that the "sneezing" that both of ours is currently doing (which nearly lost me my eyebrows today at one point) is a classic symptom of a slightly leaky inlet valve.

Planning to check that on mine shortly (aka: as soon as the compression tester surfaces), but might just be worth checking. Quite likely that these engines have spent a lot of their lives doing low speed stop-start work and the heads could well benefit from a decoke.

You've got a fancy endoscope camera haven't you? Might be worth seeing if you can see anything meaningful through the plug hole or down the inlet manifold.

If it didn't mean disturbing 43 year old exhaust manifold studs I'd have already had the head off to have a look...

When you fix the grp on the door it might be a good idea to use a couple of bighead fasteners to spread the load over a bigger area of the grp to stop it cracking again.

http://www.veckfasteners.com

Scott's composite handbook gives a decent but of info on GRP repair, quite a lot of useless stuff in it as well.

http://cn.scottbader.com/uploads/files/3381_crystic-handbook-dec-05.pdf

Not sure there'll be room for them. The handle holes go pretty much into a curve. Awful design. Will hopefully get the doors off so I can show this better.

Mate was by here today and mentioned that the "sneezing" that both of ours is currently doing (which nearly lost me my eyebrows today at one point) is a classic symptom of a slightly leaky inlet valve.

Planning to check that on mine shortly (aka: as soon as the compression tester surfaces), but might just be worth checking. Quite likely that these engines have spent a lot of their lives doing low speed stop-start work and the heads could well benefit from a decoke.

You've got a fancy endoscope camera haven't you? Might be worth seeing if you can see anything meaningful through the plug hole or down the inlet manifold.

If it didn't mean disturbing 43 year old exhaust manifold studs I'd have already had the head off to have a look...

No, haven't done a compression test. It drives. If it can cruise at 50, I'll be happy. I'm still blaming the carburettor, as that's easier.

Not sure there'll be room for them. The handle holes go pretty much into a curve. Awful design. Will hopefully get the doors off so I can show this better.

Maybe a bit of ally plate bent to the curve bonded on with a MMA adhesive would help spread the load, it would also give you something to laminate against, it's going to be fun finding the right shade of ladyboy blue gelcoat as well.

Top work with this wee motor, the videos are top notch as well. 

Maybe a bit of ally plate bent to the curve bonded on with a MMA adhesive would help spread the load, it would also give you something to laminate against, it's going to be fun finding the right shade of ladyboy blue gelcoat as well.

Top work with this wee motor, the videos are top notch as well. 

Thanks. That's more my thinking. 

That's the one I think...Didn't realise it was meant to have a lid!

First plan for mine is to stick in in the dishwasher, it seems to do a fantastic job of cleaning brass up like new.

I've nothing against the fuses to be honest - it's just the fact that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find them in physical stores that puts them out of contention for me.  The only ones I seem to be able to get within 10 miles of here at suppliers I know are boxes of 2x 20A ones...other ratings, nope!  Have to resort to web based suppliers.

I know, carry spares and all that - but you could be good money on the one day that you accidentally short something out showing someone something and pop the one that isolates the entire starter and ignition system would be the day that the spares weren't in the car or you've just given them to someone at a show to sort their own car out with...Murphy's Law and all that...

The advantage of the glass fuses is that in an emergency you can replace them with a Philips screwdriver bit from a Poundland socket set.

Yep, I’ve heard that too.

New oil filter and rocker cover gaskets arrived today, so they got fitted and I refreshed the oil again.

DWBGG3OWsAYXOCD.jpg

All seems to be staying inside so far, though my poor neighbours have had to put up with a shouty flat twin once more. Aircooled cars are LOUD!

Oil recommendation is straight 30 grade, though 20 in the summer. I was warned away from synthetic as it can apparently cause problems with the oil seals. However, I ran out of 30, so she's got a mix of that and semi-synth 10w40. Started absolutely instantly (after an ignition-off crank to build up oil pressure), but she's definitely chugging a bit on tickover. I left her idling for a bit, and the nearside rocker cover was much warmer than the offside, so that iffy valve theory may be true after all. Open the throttle and she chugs briefly before clearly firing on two. Can't say I much fancy pulling a head off, so wondering if some Redex abuse may help.

Also received new (well, used) lower plates for the engine. They're not great, so I really am going to have to strip those and paint them I suspect.

Excellent progress, I don't think I quite 'get' the Invacar thing but that doesn't stop the videos being entertaining viewing.  The first test drive was a good distraction whilst peeling vegetables, looked absolutely terrifying.  I wasn't expecting it to be that lively but as has been said, they don't weigh much I guess.  My only memory of these is being in the car with my parents as a kid and us being held up by an elderly lady driving one through Westward Ho! very slowly with much uncertainty of direction.  

There is an old boy in Cheltenham who drives his mobility scooter on the road, this is a pavement model with no plates or lights or anything, I like to think he is dreaming of a drop top Invacar but the scooter is the closest he can get.

I do remember these in Herefordshire in the early 1990s but they had all gone by about 1996.

Anyway well done for persevering and look forward to seeing this beast in it’s plastic blue flesh in July.

I think this will be a real attention grabber at the festival, because they virtually vanished overnight, at one point you saw em everywhere, then as Ian would put it, 'ptssssssssh', gone. You deserve much kudos for doing this Ian, this really is a long lost bit of motoring history you are bringing back to life,and being disabled myself it brings a real smile to my face to see this project developing. Team Wobbler are doing a sterling job, well done to you & Rachel

Oh yes! If you watch the first video, it cuts to my right foot trying desperately to operate a brake. They are scary to drive, with a lot of potential for disaster. No wonder they got such a reputation...

Anyway, here's another video, containing another drive.

Oh yes! If you watch the first video, it cuts to my right foot trying desperately to operate a brake. They are scary to drive, with a lot of potential for disaster. No wonder they got such a reputation...

Anyway, here's another video, containing another drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqrM_6ks4xw&feature=youtu.be

Just as an aside seems a nice place you have there, quirky layout to the house

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Charging yes but it shouldn't go out by going dim. Does look like it cuts off the no-charge warning though and cuts back in too soon.

It should be a sharp on/off so it looks like the regulator just needs a bit of adjustment. Those Lucas ones are good once they are set up but it said in my book it all needed to be adjusted up when it was up to temperature. What's "up to temperature" in Wales?