Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Oooh video action! :)

enjoyed that very much, Camera angle worked very well for capturing all the controls/dials in action and the road ahead :)

did you give her a hose down after a visit to the beach due to all the salt?

the transmission comment does make my wonder, what IS under the plate on the gearbox with the Big AC Logo on it? (also on that note have you checked all the gearbox/diff/chain case fluids/whatnot?)

BTW that ptschoo at the end was the first time you managed to capture the fading text on the badge successfully on camera I think  :mrgreen:

Yes, fluids have been checked, but I'll do it again when she gets a service. Order just placed for bits. She hasn't had a hose down yet...

was talking to a lady the other week who had an Invacar "back in the day"

she has very fond memories of it doing all the forbidden things with passengers!

it went on holidays quite large distances as well by the sound of it!

i'm sure she said 80 was achievable, certainly more than 60 :o

• 3 weeks later...

MOT tomorrow. Windscreen washer is knackered. Found a 2CV manual pump in my stash. That's knackered too. Went into town, nowhere sells washer pumps anymore. Sigh.

Bodge time then.

squeezey bottle a bit of tubing? :)

or take the windscreen out, cant fail on windscreen wash if theres no windscreen for it to wash  :mrgreen:

You need to get an AC Cobra badge for the back...or maybe a made up name...AC Rattlesnake?

TWCs not an AC tho TWC needs a Greeves badge instead  :mrgreen:

although AC Rattlesnake would be a very apt name for an AC Model 70 ill give you that, given how they very much do shake rattle n roll :)

Ugh. Sod it. I just need actual working parts, and perhaps some new piping. My bodge mostly squirts water everywhere, and while some does indeed go through the washer jet, a lot doesn't! She's MOT exempt so I'll just order up an actual, working pump, buy some new piping and sort it out properly. Sod wasting more time on a temporary fix!

Also, this sodding weather can piss right off.

Gave up on that job. Someone sent me some pulleys to try, so I've been pissing about with that, dodging bloody hailstorms as I went. There's a problem.

D13t2uGXgAAotd3.jpg

New pulley on the right. Note that the circlip sits closer to the end of the shaft. This leaves the sheaves too far apart, meaning I cannot apply sufficient tension to the belt at rest. UGH.

Now, it's tempting to undo the three bolts and see what happens, but I reckon what actually happens is that the pulley explodes into pieces with considerable sprung force. BOTHER.

Nope. No good. Major belt slippage with the new pulley, so put the old one on. Then I noticed that the main spring had snapped on the other pulley...

So that's sh*t. Had to dig out my only spare second pulley (the one linked to the road wheels) and it's shite. Pitted something rotten. Sure enough, the test drive revealed that it was utterly horrible. Lots of noise, very reluctant to accelerate, and even more noise. 

So, I went for a drive, because it's really what I wanted to do today. The noise was horrific, so driving into really remote parts of Wales with no phone signal, tools or spares was clearly the right thing to do.

D14YOwxWoAUxjCF.jpg

It was rather worth it.

D14YDjTWsAAR4qY.jpg

So, I need some actual Invacar Model 70 pulleys, that aren't completely knackered. They should be easy to find then...

In conclusion, I set out to fix two things today, failed at one and made it worse with the second. Joy!

Is everything ok on the new pulley other than (apparently) the circlip sitting too far up the shaft?  ooer..

No. Because the clip sits higher, the pulley sheaves are too far apart, so I can't get good belt tension. It will drive with the new pulley, but there's a lot of belt flapping when slowing down and when off power. Some CVTs actually use this belt slippage like a clutch, but I'm not sure that's a good idea here.

like for more scenic TWC shots :)

on the pulley issue, have you thought about carefully opening a bad one in a container, so you can figure out how it does all go together, and if it does explode in comical fashion the box will be there to hopefully contain some parts?

out of curiosity, what does the markings say on the sad Model 70 pulleys?

failing all else theres a couple people I know with a stash of Model 70 parts, have you tried contacting them if they have any pulleys?

ah here we go

I think the issue is someone sent you a 780 Pulley where as the Model 70 uses a 795 system (at least according to the Model 70 workshop manual)

post-25614-0-10372500-1552866467_thumb.png

if im looking at the diagrams from the workshop manual for the transmission itself http://www.vintagesnow.com/Clutch_files/SalsburyShopManual.pdf

there might be a shim you can remove from the 780 Pulley :)

I reckon at this stage you're probably at the point that carefully disassembling one of the pulley assemblies to see how it's put together is your best bet to see if you can make one good one out of the various bits. Probably worthwhile after this many years anyway as stuff probably wants cleaning and fresh grease applied to the sliding parts internally.

One possible alternative that might be worth a shot (I'd give it a bash if it were me) would be seeing if a belt somewhere in between the two in terms of width could be used. Imagine an agricultural wholesaler would be your best bet there, I remember back when I used to help out around a couple of farms (you get popular when you have a reputation for being able to make things work again!) there's a load of stuff that uses belts of all manner of sizes and shapes, so a decent stockist should be able to help you out.

Figure as there's a decent chance of being able to find that locally it was worth mentioning.

With regards to the state of the pulley surfaces, I imagine it would be a pretty simple job to carefully skim that with a lathe to clean it up...any old school machine shops around you? Sort of job that a generous donation to the coffee fund is likely to see done, and it's always good to make that sort of friends, especially in an area like that where a lot of folks seem to know someone who knows someone when you need something odd fixed.

Have to guess based on your experience that I've been quite lucky in that my transmission (based on less than half a dozen 40+mph runs anyway!) has just worked out the box more or less... really want to sort my carb to continue with that testing...too many cars all demanding attention!

Meant to add earlier...those are some lovely photos too. Those definitely need to go into the desktop wallpaper folder on my desktop workstation (it changes every half hour, different image on each of the three screens).

The more time I'm spending around them, the more I am finding that the Invacar is actually surprisingly pleasingly styled, it's one of those cars where the proportions are just "right" to my eye at least.

The more time I'm spending around them, the more I am finding that the Invacar is actually surprisingly pleasingly styled, it's one of those cars where the proportions are just "right" to my eye at least.

yaay thats not just me then  :mrgreen:

they even look good with as a convertible (as long as you dont start sticking silly wings or tail fins on them)

as shown here

post-25614-0-43095900-1549149923_thumb.jpg

it does make me wonder how well the Model 70 would of done on the car market, 

(ie if it was sold just as a small personal car rather then as an invalid tricycle)

I think one of the things that helps with the good looks is the fact, that its still a classic 3 box design despite being shrunken down, and for 1 person

Besides if it all goes wrong you could do a video going all Basil Fawlty on it, would be hilarious DW :D

surprised you didn't say "if it all goes wrong you could stick a hayabusa lump in it"  :mrgreen:

although I agree with Zel that if I was forced to put an alternative engine into a Model 70, something like whats in a Morgan 3 wheeler would be my go to :)

(on that note, I wonder if DW has a 650cc pistons and barrels upgrade planned for TWC at some point? would make for an interesting comparison to his 2CV :) )

Oh dear. Got my posts deleted on the Classic Microcars UK Facebook page, because Invacars aren't Microcars. I thought the microcar world was over such pettiness (a lot of folk in the scene are) but clearly some dissenters remain.

Which makes me all the more determined to have a lovely display of Invacars at the National Microcar Rally this year. The chap running it is certainly happy to have us there.

In other news, this looks very close to what I need.

https://www.geminikarts.co.uk/product/comet-salsbury-770-driven-pulley/

Same bore, larger diameter (so lower starting ratio I guess) but only about three quarters of an inch difference. Might just go for it, because most used pulleys are not in great nick.

Oh dear. Got my posts deleted on the Classic Microcars UK Facebook page, because Invacars aren't Microcars. I thought the microcar world was over such pettiness (a lot of folk in the scene are) but clearly some dissenters remain.

Which makes me all the more determined to have a lovely display of Invacars at the National Microcar Rally this year. The chap running it is certainly happy to have us there.

In other news, this looks very close to what I need.

https://www.geminikarts.co.uk/product/comet-salsbury-770-driven-pulley/

Same bore, larger diameter (so lower starting ratio I guess) but only about three quarters of an inch difference. Might just go for it, because most used pulleys are not in great nick.

have you told them that the Model 70 was actually available for the everyman to buy new if they so wished?  :mrgreen:

(and with about only about 25 being sold privately you would think they would be prime microcar shite LOL granted in some ways im kind of glad they are rejecting the Model 70, as i imagine they would be the same people to pay/bid silly money for one cuz "look what i have!" rather then actually appreciate what it is)

I wonder if that group is full of Apes? because if you want to be pedantic about things, those are 3 wheeled pickups/utility trucks rather then a Microcar LOL

on the Pulley front, weirdly enough I cant find much online for the 795 that the Model 70 uses, 770 780 790 i can find things on but not much for 795...

but looking at things would 790 not be a better match?

post-25614-0-47088000-1552916385_thumb.png