Phil's Automotive Activities

phil_lihp

The stars have aligned, Saab shenanigans may be back on due to a strange coincidence involving the owner needing to drive south for a collection of their own next week.  Still at the planning stages at the moment but looks positive thus far.  

I know, I bet the suspense is probably killing you.

You're probably right Mr B, they tick a lot of boxes.  I had my eye on a couple of the later ones but they had iffy MOT histories suggesting corrosion was becoming a problem, the earlier 600-ish ones seem a bit more resilient in that department.  That or a Carina E would be great in a lot of respects, they're just about getting old and rare enough to start becoming interesting.

Nevertheless, Swedish barge plans are afoot, the suspense is intense.

Honda autoboxes are fine, it's people not changing the ATF that kills them. Needs doing very regularly.

They're really not. The one in my S-MX is a piss-poor design. It isn't just neglect that kills them off. Same with the one used on the V6 Accord. Your statement is a bit like blaming a lack of maintenance for K-Series failures. Sure, a lack of maintenance really doesn't help, but they'll break anyway.

My Prelude was certainly like that, it supposedly needed 3 flushes.  The fluid that came out didn't seem filthy but could have been cleaner.  Even after the change, as DW will confirm, that box's fault manifested itself as not being able to stay locked up in top, it never slipped or thumped between changes (well, not for me) so wasn't the end of the world but didn't make it great at higher speeds.  That was a 1992 2.0 non-VTEC though, not sure if it's the same box on the 2.3.

Sadly the 9-5 didn't work out, some things aren't meant to be.  No fear though, thanks to an intrepid shiter in that there London, a new steed has been found.  Mr B will approve I suspect, it's dead posh with electric everything and the finest pleather interior, plus headlamp washers.  Collection shenanigans begin tomorrow night without me, I'll do my bit on Saturday if all goes to plan.

I wondered if that was the one you meant when you said you'd seen one on Facebook, just put 2 and 2 together!  Can't be many of those about.  

Seller seems like a sound enough bloke, apparently the only fault is a broken driver's window regulator (they all do that, natch) so I won't complain if everything else functions.  Which it will, because 90s Honda.  Oh, and it's a manual so no autobox fretting to spoil the day.

Good luck with the new motor Phil, sounds like your due a bit of luck for a change.

Honda changed the design of their autoboxs in the late 90s to make the changes smoother by slipping the clutches before engagement, which wears the clutch linings out, which clogs the internal filters (which you cant clean without splitting the box), which starves the 2 gear clutch pack, which fucks everything.....

Older design boxes like in the 600/Accord change harder but last for fucking ages, just don't put Honda DW-1 fluid in them as it can soften the clutch linings apparently, no idea if there is any truth in it.

The Accord coupe owners club guy recommended Carlube ATF_U as it's meets Honda Z-1 specs and he's done a few tests in his own cars with no issues, might be worth looking at. I'd imagine any Z-1 compliant fluid would be ok, the Mannol Multi-vehicle stuff on ebay is cheap as chips.

Sad days, and the end of Rover/MG ownership for me, at least for now. I don't have much luck with them.

Sadly the 9-5 didn't work out, some things aren't meant to be. No fear though, thanks to an intrepid shiter in that there London, a new steed has been found.

Is it that burgundy Accord? SWEET!!!

you've basically got a Rover 623 manual there then, very nice

LOL! :D

Customary pez shot.

post-5013-0-74604500-1512684420_thumb.jpg

I wangled a work from home day today, which allowed me to slope off early and collect this for Phil. Fingers crossed after his recent bad luck I think he's on to a winner with this.

Drives lovely and being a 2.3 manual it can shift. I kept the hoonage to a minimum (honestly) and working cruise plus a toasty heater made for a pleasant 80 mile trip home. Prime WBoD material.

Incidentally, the seller told me the driver's window didn't work but it appears to be open in that photo!

Nope, he's right. It's just the rear one is all steamed up and the front is clear. With the blowers on it cleared up no probs.

A definite stealth motor this. You can bait Audi TDIs with it, or just sit happily at 60 in the inside lane listening to Radio 4.

If you find a cheap source of regulators LMK!

Ouch, these really aren't cheap, are they?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-Mk5-FRONT-RIGHT-DRIVER-SIDE-WINDOW-REGULATOR-WITH-2-PIN-MOTOR-NEW-/161054726696

£136, get out!  I think I'll start by having a look at the fault in case it can be bodged or repaired in situ (I'm guessing not but no harm in looking).  No rush on that, anyway, seeing as it's winter.