Phil's Automotive Activities

phil_lihp

I'm recognising a fair bit of Rover-esque switchgear there, no bad thing!  I do hope that the 'wood' is suitably chintzy and the 'leather' is as plasticky as I would expect from a 90s Japanese car?

Proper Honda floor mats too, I'd agree with your assessment of giffer ownership, for most of its life up until about 4 years ago it looks like it had the same owner according to Cazana.

The leather isn't too bad actually, certainly not on a par with the shite pleather you get on late PD Rovers.  The switchgear is indeed familiar seeing as most 90s Rovers had it.  Shame they couldn't make it pleasant to use though, the stalks could do with a softer, less clicky touch.  Tactile switchgear is one of my fetishes, you might be less bothered Phil.

Badge of win.

attachicon.gif20171207_212411.jpg

Is this top spec? My knowledge of Honda specs is zero, but this one seems to have electric everything.

I have no idea how Honda work their model ranges but according to this it is pretty much top spec bar the Aerodeck versions.  L-series diesel power also available!  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/honda/accord/207384/

I've never had a car with working cruise control, quite the novelty.  The Jag had it but I don't think it ever worked properly.

Anyway, time for bed.  Collection stage 2 commences at 0700 hours tomorrow.

Face for radio, me.

I just landed home, very impressed overall. It goes like stink and is very smooth to drive, pretty comfortable and enough Rover switchgear to remind you that this isn't a completely Japanese thing.

The seller could probably have been more honest about the bodywork, both wing mirrors are damaged, the paintwork is scruffy and the bumpers have definitely seem a garden wall or two; it also badly needs a machine polish. The interior is a tad minging but won't take much to clean up and it has four different brands of tyre on it, fortunately all quite new but I'll address that in due course. Nothing major and nothing of note on such a cheap car.

Mechanically it's superb aside from a few funny noises from the clutch bearing. It's likely to head down to Cornwall soon for a service with our resident Honda mechanic but really it wants for nothing much at all, just a little tidy up.

Rob is a legend, even provided lunch and a station collection in the lovely 626, I'm sad I didn't have time for a test drive but it's a marvellous thing to be driven in.

All in all, a grand day out! I'm off out for dinner with the family, maybe there'll be some Honda photos tomorrow if you're good.

One item to address is that it only has one key and I cannot find a seller on eBay listing either keys or fobs for a mk5 Acccord.  Rover aficionados will recognise this style of key - I was expecting the usual generic Honda type.  I am beginning to suspect this generation of Accord is more Rover than Honda!

post-5492-0-76214100-1512894061_thumb.jpg

I can probably get any local Timpsons to knock up a spare key, I doubt the immobilisor chip is in the key itself.

Daft question but should this have a remote fob?  It has electric everything else, seems a bit odd that it would have no remote central locking, my 1992 Prelude had it and was a low-spec model.  It looks to have a remote sensor in the roof panel with the sunroof controls and courtesy light so it'd be nice to reinstate it if it's not going to be too much hassle.

In theory I could pick up one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-CIVIC-CRV-ACCORD-JAZZ-2-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB/132397398991?hash=item1ed37ffbcf:g:XSYAAOSwb3lZ8bO5

But I don't know if it'd be the right one for this car.  I even wondered if it would actually have a Rover-style plip given that the key's a Rover one.

Assuming the 600 and Accord share the same system (which it sounds like they do not!) then this applies...

http://forums.mg-rover.org/rover-600-121/remote-key-fobs-504243/

Red keys, barcodes, T4 systems...sounds like a colossal hassle with potential for immobilising one's car, therefore I rate this a solid 10/10 on the Sack It Off and Have a Cup Of Tea Instead scale.

It's the learning key - when you prog keys with hds or the pgmfi pooter it asks for that when it starts the new key coding process. If you use the red key without being told to it locks the immob unit iirc . Some dealers used to hang the red key inside the rear boot trim too . Hidden from the customer to prevent cock ups from old Ford customers that would use the red key because it was the only one that wasn't worn out

Ah. The one my mum had was in a sealed plastic packet like batteries come in. I think it's probably still in the kitchen draw of unknown keys, appliance manuals they don't own any more and other useless junk.

Looks like R196 HMW is dead now anyway.

Timpsons will be able to cut you a replacement with their off the shelf blank - got one (two actually, as the locks were changed on this car at one stage) yesterday - about £9 a key (yes, saw me coming but I was in a rush).

Chappie asked 'has it got a transponder chip' (Timpson's records seem to suggest every Rover has a transponder chip in the key) - nope, it's a separate fob. No hassle. Sound bloke actually - let me wander off with one key and check it before paying.

pQ0ILr4PQ0qXkVS92ddu1g.png

Obviously not the bendy Rover type, but they'll do when the time comes...cos senile