Komplex Klex

eddyramrod

This story really begins at Dave's funeral the other week.  One of his daughters told me they had found some Saab keys in his flat, and because they knew his Saab had come from (and gone back to) me, would I be able to use them?  Naturally, being the helpful soul I am, I said the car had gone but I knew who had it and could forward the keys.  So, some days later, the keys arrived in an envelope and I messaged djimbob to say I had them.

By this time, I had won the 405 Roffle, for a car Jim had been fancying as he was in need of a towing car.  So I suggested a swop would be in order.

Accordingly, three of us converged on Lancaster from different directions: two by car, and me by train.  Jim went straight to the planned handover point (a supermarket cafe) and I waited at the station for Sam.  And waited.  And went for a walk.  More than once!  During which I spotted this...

post-4559-0-22904800-1509309147_thumb.jpg

So, Sam eventually arrived and I navigated him round the one-way system to join Jim.  We were fortunate to get a space right next to the Saab!  Meals were eaten, stories told and we repaired downstairs to complete paperwork and compulsory elements.

post-4559-0-14907800-1509309784_thumb.jpg

post-4559-0-49422200-1509309963_thumb.jpg

post-4559-0-05809100-1509310229_thumb.jpg

Yes, I now own this Saab for the THIRD time!  That was unexpected!  And despite getting day-insurance on it, I've managed to own the Pug so briefly that I didn't even get to drive it.

With paperwork complete and pies and cakes distributed, we headed off, Sam riding with me back to the station.  We spotted this in the traffic...

post-4559-0-00100500-1509310338_thumb.jpg

...which opened up a bit of discussion about Minis.  We decided the current scene tax on them is at best, lamentable, as it means Sam will probably never get to drive one.  He'll miss out.  On the other hand, he has developed a taste for a big comfy automatic, which is no bad thing!

I now need to show the Saab to someone who works at one of my drops, as he's interested in buying it...

Nice to meet you both. 

I can safely say I will miss the 405 as it ate the miles on that trip better than it should have. The train back involved 6 tickets (fare splitting yo) and 5 different seats. I gave up even attempting to bother on the first one. 

Departed Reading at approx 9:05

Arrived at Lancaster station around 13:20

Got train at 14:57.

Got back to Reading at 19:25ish.

Long day. 

Didnt you have the same experience with the xantia eddy? I am not sure you actually drove that before I bought it off you . 

Not quite!  I did get to drive that, but only to the station and back to pick you up ;)  The one I didn't get to drive, or touch, or even see, was the AS bike Rover 220.  When I won that one, it wasn't convenient to go and get it, and I knew Omegod was in need, so I sent him for it.  I've still never so much as seen it!

I had a great day out indeed, although I was knackered by the close of play, as I had done an eight hour stint DJ'ing at my friend's 50th birthday party - this was always going to be a long night, but I hadn't taken into account the clocks went back - so in effect I had planned on finishing at two o'clock, but the bar kept open to take advantage of the extra hour's takings! So not only did I lose an hour's kip, I had a panicked last hour trying to work out what else to play as I'd used all my usual end of night tracks, so no stress there then. So I finally got to bed about four in the morning aching like a bugger as I'd been on my feet most of the night, not my usual routine at my age!

Anyhoo, I woke up about nine, and was on the road just before ten, arriving in Lancaster about midday, at the Sainsbury's in the town centre which has a pay and display car park - I foolishly decided to put an hour's ticket on as I was sure we'd be done in that time - not so! (luckily the traffic wardens did not do the rounds as we were still there a couple of hours later at a guess, but my luck was soon to run out!).

I wandered in to the cafe, established Eddy was still waiting for Sam, and ordered a veggie breakfast for the win - I was informed it would be twenty minutes which I reckoned was fine - it would have been if they hadn't given me the bloody meat version in error :-(  So another twenty minutes later, they brought out the correct meal, which I proceeded to chow down on, and very passable it was in the end.

As compensation for the delay, the manager offered me a refill of my large size Pepsi, which I duly helped myself to after Eddy and Sam had turned up and eaten their nosh - this bit is significant to the return journey as I will relate soon.

Eddy supplied some quite wondrous baked goods for us, and frankly makes him the best Shiter of Eva 8)

We woolarded, mucked about as you do, exchanged paperworks and set off on our merry ways, with the warning that fuel refills were necessary and so on :-D

In my complete lack of wisdom, I placed my free Pepsi, in very large container with plastic lid and straw, in a cup holder I brought in the Saab as Peugeot were crap in the mid nineties for that provision, and set off gingerly into the lancaster traffic, eager not to run out of juice until I found a petrol station, which i did fairly soon - so stuck thirty quid's worth of unleaded in, and proceeded to test the abilities of the car, which were many and pleasurable, until one bout of rapid acceleration and kick-down unleashed the full contents and holder of the soda all over the centre console, passenger seat and carpet :shock:  BOLLOCKS!!

I sacrificed my fleecy lumberjack coat to mop up the worst of the spillage, but I was well miffed that I'd hardly had a drop of the wet stuff, and now there was a couple of hours worth of cleaning this environmental disaster up waiting for me some time in the next couple of days, bah!!

Next smoll inconvenience was the sludge the windscreen wipers blarted all over the windscreen when I tried to clean the windscreen several miles later, it seems the reservoir had run dry aside from the dregs, which completely obliterated the view, but that was fairly easy to pull over and I sacrificed a cloth bag for life cleaning it off, which turned out nice :-P

Anyway, aside form this baptism of excess and then paucity of liquids in a ten mile or so stretch, I thoroughly enjoyed the big Pug's qualities, which contrasted with the Saab's sporty skittishness - it was heavy compared with the steering, sure-footed, less dramatic with the power delivery, and hardly a creak from the interior - the full leather is lovely, and the front centre armrest is just fantastic, truly a mid level execs wet dream 8)  The interior is spotless from my cursory inspection, aside from the mess I have caused, and now I really must restore it to that state, and I still need to ascertain if the CD changer works, and maybe fit an AUX in for my phone, or even Bluetooth it somehow as I like my premium tunes - total kudos to Sam for keeping it so spotless, this is a mighty fine car!

I am really sad to see the Saab go, but Our Lass doesn't like it, and has an irrational hatred of soft tops, so it had to go for something she could use when the Magentis needs work (not often but still, she works too far away for public transport etc), and the towbar means I have a vehicle for dragging my shed next year which actually has working aircon as well. The Saab is in it's element on journeys like yesterday, a hundred miles from Leeds to lancaster via the yorkshire Dales on twisties, such a shame the roof is stuck, and it really needs regular useage - I would have used it for work if it had any kind of load carrying capability, but it doesn't understandably, so onwards with a new owner I guess :-D

I have to confess also I managed to tax the Pug online today, then realised I have paid for the whole of October - what an idiot :-(  I set up the direct debit monthly and missed the dates I was in such a rush, so if anyone has any ideas on how to change that I'm all ears, but resigned to the hit in reality :-P

to sum up, I fully recommend the Eddy Ramrod sales/swappage experience, especially if you literally love eating all the pies 8) 

Re the business of taxing... I've just been down to the post office (old-fashioned? yes, but also convenient) where I was told I couldn't do it until the first of the new month, without paying for the whole of October.  I haven't tried to tax a car online as the new owner, but I imagine the system works the same.  Bummer.

Oh and thank you for the kind words, Jim :)

Bloody Hell, hadn't realised my old Saab was still doing the rounds.

Last time I was aware of it, the rear window had been smashed.

As you say, it was a lovely car for longer journey's/cruises, but not that great around town.

I think I used to get apx 20 mpg Urban but 35 plus on a motorway run.

Always regretted not fitted cruise control, as supposed to be an easy fit,

As I say good to see she's still going strong,

I think it was Craigtheprincess that fitted a new back window, he was the owner before me.  I've always seen it as relatively economical, not that I bother much about that; most of my driving in it being around-town.  Anyway, it's available, as soon as I get the V5 back.

Yeah the 405 interior was incredibly well put together right?! I have sat in many PSA interiors but that was definitely top for me, even slightly edging the lovely Xantia I had. 

Sorry about the wipers by the way, I used tons of screen wash on the 1000 mile Scotland and back journey due to the insects intent on hitting the windscreen, but had no idea the wash had run out!

Ordinarily I'd miss it, but the Safrane fills the exec car hole I have.

No worries Sam,

it's not a proper collection without a minor FTP (not even sure a streaky window counts ;) ), and I had a few minutes of putting myself in Bear gryhlls shoes, contemplating finding a water source in the wild to wash the windscreen with, as I could hear running water where I had pulled over, but innate laziness kicked back in after I wiped it with the cloth bag and it worked ok :)

I do like a few little jobs to do when I get a "new" car, and playing with the soundsystem, cleaning out the washer bottle and removing sticky liquids from the interior are right up my street :) In truth there isn't much more to do really, the car is pretty damn solid and clean as you know :)

Bloody Hell, hadn't realised my old Saab was still doing the rounds.

Last time I was aware of it, the rear window had been smashed.

As you say, it was a lovely car for longer journey's/cruises, but not that great around town.

I think I used to get apx 20 mpg Urban but 35 plus on a motorway run.

Always regretted not fitted cruise control, as supposed to be an easy fit,

As I say good to see she's still going strong,

Yep Craigtheprincess had it and replaced the window.

I keep longingly thinking about it. Nice toasty heater and roof down in this weather is an ideal WBOD.

Thought he had it working or has it restuck itself lol.

It did indeed restuck itself, thereby finishing my mojo off for the bugger :(

I would have kept it if the roof worked, but Our Lass won't drive it either and we need a spare car which she will use when her Magentis is off road, and a towbar fitted too for dragging our Shed in the holiday season - couldn't find a towbar at the right price for the Saab, so the Pug was ideal and ticked all boxes - I've had a wanting for one of these for a while now, so Eddy has once again sorted my shite leanings out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had a phone call from a chap who works at one of my drops.  We had been talking about the Saab and I even pointed him at the forum so he's most likely read this thread by now.  Anyway, he's back off holiday today so he's coming to inspect the car on Tuesday.  All being well he will give me some folding and take the car away.

William has just been looking over the Saab, and we've shaken hands on it, although no money has been exchanged yet.  What I didn't know, but I do now, is: he's a top tribute act!  To whom?  Well there's really only one singer to be a tribute act for.  Uh-huh, yessir, thankyou ver'much,  Elvis.  Even better, he's got a performance coming up next month in Ulverston (where he lives), so I reckon that'll be a night out for Huggy!