Classic commercial vehicle (big van) insurance? Sawtid!

danthecapriman

Peter James has been very accommodating to me.    

Can I suggest Just Kampers?    I wouldn't buy a wheel-nut from them personally but I have had my T25 camper covered with them since I have owned it.   Full-useage policy with no NCD (because I only ever have classic insurance) including commuting costs me about £145 pa.  Mrs Rocker on policy and no mileage limit either.   My van is still registered as a van.  

I also used them before I owned the Volkswagen when I had a converted Bedford CF Ambulance.   Again, no problem.  

Might be worth a try.   The only thing they seemed keen to stipulate was that I must have use of another vehicle for some reason.   Think you can fulfil that one!

Fook me I 've got the same letter from Admiral Van Insurance  ! Can't cover anymore ..  

And my van  I bought brand new in 2000,  is still new,  innit ?      Must be a conspiracy to get old motors off the road ..

Weird. Yours is much newer than my van too!

Oddly when I was trying to get quotes for insuring my Volvo (1988) lots of places I tried said they wouldn't quote for it. In the end I got it on classic insurance without any issue.

I'm convinced it's the age of the vehicles, certainly in my case anyway?

I've not got new insurance yet. Just waiting for my NCB proof to come through from the old company first.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this sorted!

I did try classic commercial insurance, however...

Technically it's not a commercial vehicle anymore, if it really ever has been given it's previous 'special vehicle' usage/build from new.

So I've gone for classic camper van insurance, insured as a home converted camper.

It's insured as a second vehicle (not daily usage), European cover included. For cheaper than the previous insurer so a little win there.

The only issue is that I've got 6 months to get the camper conversion finished and get the logbook changed to camper van instead of the current 'parcel van'.

Shouldn't be a problem as it's pretty much done now done, just wants finishing touches. Even as it is now it's clearly no longer usable as a van anymore!

There's no no claims on this policy as it's the same as classic car insurance in that respect, but since I've got 10 yrs NCB I'll send them the proof and they'll keep that in date for me if I need it in future.

Just need to find out the exact requirements for the dvla to register as a camper now. I'll have to send them pics of the van inside but I think there are a few things it must include to make the change.

Reading that I'd say a fold down shelf in front of the seats to use as a table would do as well.

Thinking about it, I suspect it only needs for be big enough for the number of people you can sleep in there too.

When I took the pictures for the V5 change on my VW it was far from finished. I can't remember why I was in such a rush but the pictures were staged with blankets and cushions covering iffy bits and they happily signed it off.

I would borrow a table from someone else's camper that can be propped into place for the relevant picture.

When I designed and built this van I did it in a way (funnily enough!) how I wanted it and how it'd work well, not to suit some shit list from the dvla. How it is means getting a table to work won't be that easy!!

I didn't bother with a table at all tbh, just use your knees!

Oh well, I'll just cobble something together for the pics then take it away afterwards.