Classic commercial vehicle (big van) insurance? Sawtid!

danthecapriman

I've had my mk2 Transit insured with the same company since I bought it back in 2011 (yes yes, I know...). Not had any issues with them until the other day.

I got a call from them out of the blue, they said they just needed to check a few details about my cover. I thought it was a bit odd as they've never done this before.

Anyway, today a letter arrived from them to the effect of thanks for your business, your renewal is due in a months time and we won't be offering you a renewal!?

No explanation of why?

So, now I need to find another insurance company for the van.

It's a 1984 long wheel base mk2 Transit van, nothing obscure so shouldn't be an issue but does anyone know of or use a company good for such old classic commercial vehicles?

Just interested in other people's opinions and experiences.

I could use just any old van insurer but I'd rather stick to more 'classic' type insurance for this van.

I would be interested to know if being refused renewal by your current insurer will affect your future quotes from other companies.

They always seem to ask this question and I get the impression that if you say yes they will also refuse to quote or load the premium spectacularly.

Surely you are entitled to know why your renewal was refused. At least then you can plead your case with any new insurer.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

What happens when you get to the question on the application form "Have you been refused cover by any other companies?"

If you lie and you have a claim they are likely to void your insurance, but only after they have banked your premium payment.

I would be wanting to know in writing why they are not prepared to renew.

I would be interested to know if being refused renewal by your current insurer will affect your future quotes from other companies.

They always seem to ask this question and I get the impression that if you say yes they will also refuse to quote or load the premium spectacularly.

Surely you are entitled to know why your renewal was refused. At least then you can plead your case with any new insurer.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

What happens when you get to the question on the application form "Have you been refused cover by any other companies?"

If you lie and you have a claim they are likely to void your insurance, but only after they have banked your premium payment.

Weird isn't it!

They haven't said why they can't offer me cover for the renewal.

These are the exact words on the letter.

'Unfortunately, we have been unable to generate a renewal premium with our panel of insurers. This means that your policy cannot be renewed and will lapse at the renewal date.'

Fuck knows why? Maybe it's the age of the van? That was what they questioned me about when they rang me a few days ago.

I haven't ever claimed or had any issues whatsoever so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why.

I should be ok with the having insurance refused question as it hasn't really been refused they've just been unable to cover my needs from now.

Personally, I'd call them and politely but firmly request some reasons why because as said above, the question 'Have you been refused cover.....' really has to be answered yes and that could possibly effectively fuck you up rather in the future. 

While they are at liberty to refuse to renew a policy as any business is to refuse business, I think as a customer of six years you are due a little more (ie: better) explanation than what amounts to: "Well, thanks for your money & loyalty for the past six years but we can't be arsed with you any more so do one. Lots of love etc. etc"

You haven't been refused cover so please never use that phrase. Being refused cover would mean that they could provide cover but are refusing to sell you a policy. Being unable to renew your cover means that none of their current underwriters offer cover for your vehicle so they have no product to sell you. Sounds like they may have changed one of their underwriters or the one underwriter that was covering you have changed the portfolio of policies that they deal in.

I had a self built camper about 10 years ago that was my only (4 wheeled) vehicle at the time and I needed comp cover for 12,000 miles annually social, domestic and commuting. Only one broker could provide that cover and they only had one underwriter that would provide it so I had zero choice and was shitting myself that one underwriter would stop providing that type of policy. Needless to say it was feckin' expensive too.

As mentioned above I'd try going face to face with a small broker with a high street office. The internet is set up for mainstream selling and cares not for a collector of 30 year old vans.

Good luck.

Have you actually been refused cover though? You haven't requested cover for next year; they've just said they can't quote. So I would suggest that you aren't telling an untruth if you answer "No" to the question of being refused cover. I'm no lawyer though, not even an internet expert!

I've used Adrian Flux before to cover a van for non-commercial use, and now I'm using Privilege currently on a (modern) van - again, just for SD&P.

EDIT - crossed posts with Mr. Boilersuit there...

Thanks guys.

Yes, I think after so long as a loyal customer I'm entitled to some sort of explanation. Saying that though, my opinion of any insurance company is unbelievably low so this sort of thing comes as no surprise. Ultimately they're all money grabbing sharks and a law unto themselves so fuck em! If they don't want my money I'm sure someone else does.

I'm almost positive I've not had cover refused. Just as said above, they can't offer me a product anymore so can't sell it to me. My current years cover is still in effect and legal until it expires at the end of November. In theory it's no different to me telling them I won't be taking out auto renewal for next year.

Peter James Insurance

Call them

Tell us how it went

Is that serious? Or are they so shit I'll get angry!

I've been with Peter James for years and never had a problem.  Four cars on a multi-vehicle policy most years (never the same 4 from year to year).  Yes, you need an everyday car as well (in my case far from modern) but my renewal this year was only £95.  I've asked whether in principle they could include my Maestro van and they've said yes; so at my next renewal that will be being added unless it pushes the price up too far.  Whenever I've needed to call them the phone's been answered instantly in a friendly Brummie accent.  Others may have problems with them but I can only recommend them.

He hasn’t been refused cover. The company has just decided not to offer a renewal. Two very different things.

I’d hazard a guess and say the company has decided to stop insuring classic vans. Or an employee made a mistake when it was a new application, they’ve only just now noticed and decided it was best just to let the policy lapse at renewal (less likely but does happen).

They’re not obliged to offer renewal or to give any reason why they’ve decjded not to do so. Honestly don’t worry about it, just find someone else to insure your van. They wouldn’t be allowing the policy to run its course or thanking him for his custom if Dan had done anything wrong.

I've been with Peter James for years and never had a problem.  Four cars on a multi-vehicle policy most years (never the same 4 from year to year).  Yes, you need an everyday car as well (in my case far from modern) but my renewal this year was only £95.  I've asked whether in principle they could include my Maestro van and they've said yes; so at my next renewal that will be being added unless it pushes the price up too far.  Whenever I've needed to call them the phone's been answered instantly in a friendly Brummie accent.  Others may have problems with them but I can only recommend them.

I use Peter James for the 75 on Classic policy. Price and service are good but never claimed.

In the past I've changed vehicles and the current insurance company couldn't/wouldn't cover the new car

Go to another company and explained that so and so didn't cover the new car and it's all worked out so far

You need to ring and speak to someone though,or go through the online chat if available

If you are wanting it insured on classic insurance then I use RH Classic who have been excellent for my van although they won't do business use on a classic van but thats fine with me as I don't use it for that anyway.

Classic use + business use could be a whole different (and more expensive) kettle of fish.

Is their any benefit in changing it to a camper ?

Is throwing an old mattress and a camping stove self tappered to the floor enough for it to legally become one on the logbook?

Failing that try your local NFU broker, I once insured Mrs N's first Disco for almost half as much as normal companies, might have to pretend to own a horse though.

Is their any benefit in changing it to a camper ?

Is throwing an old mattress and a camping stove self tappered to the floor enough for it to legally become one on the logbook?

Failing that try your local NFU broker, I once insured Mrs N's first Disco for almost half as much as normal companies, might have to pretend to own a horse though.

Mines a camper but still registered as a van on the log book. Despite the fact that it has technically never been a van since new as it went straight to the BBC as a mobile radio studio, complete with windows and fully trimmed interior.

To get the logbook changed to camper you've now got to give photos etc to dvla to prove its unable to be stripped out easily and used as a commercial. Easy for me to do, and I will do that once it's finished but you can't just do as you suggest!