Goodbye old chum

I am soon to be in the market for another car. Looking for something goodish on fuel and I am thinking of1) Peugeot 306/106/early 2062) Citroen zx-late model3) Early Ford FocusAny advice what to look for/thoughts of which car/model to avoid would be great. Also any advice of other cars of this sort of size that should suit me. I will have £1000/£1300 to spend needs to be reliable :D

I know they are almost universally derided, but for your budget, you will definetly get a mint Vectra, with decent milege.Late 51/02 plate LS models can be had for this money, and even a decent Y-plate CDX will be available for £1kish.I have found mine comfortable, roomy and reliable. The only weak spot they have is the rear trailing arm bushes. Parts can be had from anywhere, from E-bay and all motor factors. As they are so undesireable, parts from breakers are dirt cheap as there are so many being disposed of.

I reckon you'd get the best ZX in the world for £1k. They are nice simple cars, comfy and avoid the 306's image problems.

x2. There was a ZX turbo diesel on Ebay not far from me a while ago with loads of t&t and sold for naff all.

Merc 190-wildcard I like but bigger than I require. Are Vauxhall Vectras really anygood? I have seen a lot of buggered ones on my travels :(

They're reliable, but feel very heavy. I drove my mate's when they first came out and then his W-reg and the steering stuck with my as lifeless.Worth it for a daily runner, they're almost perfect for that. Go for post facelift, the V6's give same economy as the 2.0. Top of the range can be had for three figures, don't get pov spec. Out of all those listed, I'd go for the Vectra, even though I don't really like them.

Or maybe it's Lancer - I can't remember. Whatever the non-madbastard version of the Evo is, anyway. Think it's a 1.5 or 1.6. Either way, no slug and dead reliable.Or you could buy my Range Rover Sport :D before my girlfriend crashes it, too.

The non EVO will just be a bog standard Lancer. I love the last & final Galant (over here anyway, they continue in the East & US) model, I'm tempted to find myself one of the early 2.0 GLS' (about 97 P reg) but what I really crave is the VR4. Will have to work up to that though, both money wise & insurance wise!

Thanks Regie I couldn't remember, and my mate Henno's not answering his phone. It's a nice machine he has, even the faux-MBTex faux leather stuff isn't unpleasant. I drove it once and I reckon one could live with it everyday quite nicely.

Great stereo too.

Edit: Looks like this, wheels and spoiler are the same, Henno's is black, which I believe was a popular choice.

Posted Image

Vectras are SHIT SHIT SHIT!Go for a Focus Saloon every time.You won't be disappointed. The steering will not leak, the springs will not break, it will drive like it was designed for the road, not a garage ramp..............etc etc etc. By the way I work for Vauxhall and am on my second Focus.......

Vectras are SHIT SHIT SHIT!

quote]

I'm actually laughing out loud at that, thinking of my (other) taxi-driving mate who had a Vectra and would've said the same!

Windows 7 screengrab sent to said mate.

If you`re getting a 306, look for a Sedan, they are hard to sell and go for less money, but obviously are just as good as a hatch, unless you really want a hatch of course. Bit harder to find, but your grand should go further.Same applies to the Focus, but only 2.0 Ghia ones ever seem to come up.

ZX's can be quite rust-prone, in a way that a 306 doesn't seem to be - so if you find a ZX I'd check it very carefully around the inner wings and rear suspension mounts. Otherwise, an estate ZX 1.9D is probably the only car you'll ever need - unless you want A/C, of course.That said, I think a Focus 1.8 Ghia saloon is the obvious standout from your list though.

How about the first generation of Almera; reasonably good at everything bad at nothing and fairly cheap to run, the lack of a diesel will be made up for as you cruise happily past the garage without popping in for summat to be fixed, no cambelt for starters :) Should be comfortably in your price range; an earlier version of thesecond generation might even just make it

Watch for rust in those Almeras, in the rear sills/floors and front crossmembers - the 2nd gen are beginning to suffer as well. But these motors are dead reliable and not bad at all - I had a few hundred miles in an early 2nd gen 1.5 and it was entirely acceptable.

I’m finding my 2.0 Primera remarkably good on fuel, saloons/hatches will probably be a touch cheaper than estates so you should get a good facelift model for your budget. Keep it simple and avoid the CVT model, but do look for a high-spec example with evidence of private ownership.I’m getting 36-40mpg on my rural travels, the first bit of my journey when the engine’s cold and I’m on narrow lanes knocks me down a bit, but cruising at 40-60 really picks it up. The engine is torquey enough that driving at 30mph in 5th is feasible. Good handling helps keep speed up through the corners too.Even if you don’t like the looks it’s worth going for the facelift. I think the economy is better with them and they strengthened the gear box, possibly a weakpoint (like it is on the Galants of the time too).Footwell maybe a touch cramped if you have large feet, and manoeuvrability not brilliant due to their poor steering lock (even worse on larger-tyred Sport models).As discussed for Almeras, chain-drive engine. I wouldn’t bother with the 1.6 (too small) or 1.8 versions. Even 2.0 doesn’t feel mega-quick, and while the 1.8 should be a good compromise and promise better economy it’s a bit more complex, with stuff like coil-pack ignition.

If I recall the second generation of Almera have a reputation for stretched timing chains, which knocks the management light on and makes the car think it needs something which ultimately doesn't fix the problem (camshaft sensor?).I reckon you should get the very first generation of Primera saloon, preferably a 1.6 carb. Then when you get fed up of it, I can have it for buttons.

Focus, definately.Vectras are disgusting, 306s are ok but nowhere near as good as a Focus. Golfs / Audis etc are normally badly maintained but shiny when they get to the price range. 190E is still probably the most disappointing car I've ever owned, mine was incredibly tidy but I broke it for spares because I hated it. I normally like Mercs, but the 190E 2.0 Auto is a car I never wish to experience again. Lousy. Hey ho. Made money on it anyway :)The Focus is head and shoulders ahead of everything else you've suggested.

Merc 190-wildcard I like but bigger than I require. Are Vauxhall Vectras really anygood? I have seen a lot of buggered ones on my travels :(

How can you say a 190 is bigger than a Vectra? I could understand why a 190E 2.0 would be a bit pants but my 2.6 190 was incredible-so smooth it was unreal-might be a bit juicy for some though. I'd be tempted to say get a Jap car, generally I've found from all my years in the trade that they are miles better than the europen stuff and I'm well impressed with my Accord.

Watch for rust in those Almeras, in the rear sills/floors and front crossmembers - the 2nd gen are beginning to suffer as well. But these motors are dead reliable and not bad at all - I had a few hundred miles in an early 2nd gen 1.5 and it was entirely acceptable.

They are fuggin' shit, my granny has one - it ate a gearbox at 40k, various engine sensors not long after. It doesn't feel anywhere near as solid and reliable as the '80s and '90s Nissans.It isn't a bad thing to drive though, if a bit gutless.

FORD FOCUS. End of.P.S just noticed your budget was £1000-1300 and not £1-3000!Therefore a Focus saloon will be lower mileage and newer for that money, although you should get a pretty reasonable petrol hatch on a W or so. Diesel hatchs will be older and higher mileage but still OK if you choose carefully.I wouldn't buy a diesel hatch or estate at auction for that money, as they are such an easy private or bombsite dealer sale, so anything at auction (unless it is a direct from new car dealer part ex) is likely to have problems.

anything at auction (unless it is a direct from new car dealer part ex) is likely to have problems.

Yep-got shafted on a clio a few years ago-so auctions are out :lol:

Almera is not my cup of tea-unless I go into a sideline of evening pizza/curry deliveries. Focus seems to be the winner here and fit into the price range I have. Theres a few in/on the autotrader including a 1.4 :shock: . Any info of focus problems to look for received with thanks. Also see a few puntos like this shape

Posted Image

Are these ok? And w.t.f is city steering :lol:

Well Mrs 9000 has a Vectra 1.6 Envoy (read lowest of the low) the I purchased for the princely sum of £140 10 months ago. The only money I have spent on it was on new filters and road tax! They are pretty bland to drive but it does everything that is asked of it. Al through the snow it started touch of the button whereas next doors 4 month old BMW wouldn't.Personally I have just bought some new shite in the form of an Audi A4 Avant.Wondered about the odd spec when I got it as it is black with cream leather and climate, roof rails etc but steel wheels! On inspecting the service manual it appears it was purchased new in Cyprus. 2 owners, 79k with history and new MOT all for £700.So the entire 9000 fleet cost less than the neighbours new fence