Louise2cv's Allegro?

barrett

Looks like BL did it this way so that they only needed to use one tooling/pressing for the wiper arm pivot holes.

They later just used blanking plugs for the old holes (Mini, Metro). The LHD for RHD way is good in that the blades hold the water at the base of the windscreen. The RHD wipers don't meet the A post, but wipe towards the bottom of the screen, leaving a load of water to blow back up the windscreen.

Hillman Hunters also had LHD for RHD and vice versa. The Citroen GS and Peugeot 504 had LHD wipers for EVERYTHING.

Triumph 2000s and Volkswagen Type 2 bay windows had LHD wipers for RHD, but Australia ruled this stupid, and insisted on RHD wipers. So, Austrialian 2000s had Stag wipers (with pantograph action, HOT). 

37059.jpg

And Australian VWs had RHD wipers.

ebay142655907632079.jpg

The 1970s was a crazy time.

Australia had some fantastic* regulations that were introduced in the 70s and 80s that made foreign manufacturers very* pleased**.

For Example:

Cars with rear door mounted spare wheels had to have the brake lights, tail lights and indicators mounted in the bumper, as to not be obsqured by the wheel.

British/Normal Disco 2:

Land~Rover~Discovery~2~(2002-2004)~(6).j

Aussie Disco 2:

1999-2000_Land_Rover_Discovery_II_Td5_5-

This meant that manufacturers had to make "Australian spec" models, or design cars to meet our special rules.

For more information, See: https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/ 2nd & 3rd edtion ADRs

Do you really want to open the Disco lights can of worms?

I've never been sure which lights should be where on Discovery 1 and 2s , I'm sure my first (89) V8 had everything in the upper position but subsequent ones had either everything in the bumper or maybe just the tail lights there. The most vulnerable place and also likely to be filled with mud , or in the case of one liable to be washed out of the bumper when fording.

For Example:

Cars with rear door mounted spare wheels had to have the brake lights, tail lights and indicators mounted in the bumper, as to not be obsqured by the wheel.

British/Normal Disco 2:

Land~Rover~Discovery~2~(2002-2004)~(6).j

Aussie Disco 2:

1999-2000_Land_Rover_Discovery_II_Td5_5-

This meant that manufacturers had to make "Australian spec" models, or design cars to meet our special rules.

For more information, See: https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/ 2nd & 3rd edtion ADRs

Actually, your pics merely show the Disco II and Disco II facelift (top). They were the same in the UK, though a rule change meant they no longer had to observe the 'lights must be seen' rule. Maybe they put extra lamps in the door? No idea.

On the Disco 1, the facelift introduced rear lamps in the bumper, but they were so shit that many got their dealers to fit the higher-up lights as well.

Looks like BL did it this way so that they only needed to use one tooling/pressing for the wiper arm pivot holes.

BL weren't even consistent with which way their wipers went - Landcrabs and Maxis have theirs set up the correct way. The Renault 6 has LHD wipers too, probably because French (i.e. they couldn't be bothered to change them for RHD).

Do you really want to open the Disco lights can of worms?

I've never been sure which lights should be where on Discovery 1 and 2s , I'm sure my first (89) V8 had everything in the upper position but subsequent ones had either everything in the bumper or maybe just the tail lights there. The most vulnerable place and also likely to be filled with mud , or in the case of one liable to be washed out of the bumper when fording.

Actually, your pics merely show the Disco II and Disco II facelift (top). They were the same in the UK, though a rule change meant they no longer had to observe the 'lights must be seen' rule. Maybe they put extra lamps in the door? No idea.

On the Disco 1, the facelift introduced rear lamps in the bumper, but they were so shit that many got their dealers to fit the higher-up lights as well.

The Disco 2 was a bad example, The 70 series Land Crusier would have been better.

Japanese Market:

DSC06683.jpg

Australian Market:

4129b7e3cf1d481e9774686610d02b87ab6dd80a

(You can see the blacked out indicators in the top lamps)