Do you ever think about how safe your car is?

Heidel_Kakao

Not sure if we have had a thread like this before but I came across the video above while browsing YouTube and shock horror an old Proton is terrible in a crash. I think we all know that old cars are not as safe as newer cars but I don't actively think about it while driving otherwise I might not want to get in the bloody thing.

If you want to find a crash video of your own car and post it up feel free, or don't and remain in blissful ignorance which I would not blame you for doing.

Yes, best crash protection is to avoid one in the first place.

( PPE fails to danger)

The 2cv usually behaves remarkably well in real life crashes as it's so flexible it is just knocked away. The X1/9 is amazing in being one of only two cars ( the other being a Volvo) that passed the proposed strict USA crash tests in the 1970s. No US car did and so the rules were abandoned.

Only time I think about it is when I think I'm about to crash & the thought is always 'this'll hurt'. That doesn't happen much these days though.

The S60 may not be terribly large anymore compared to recent modernz but it came out quite well from the 40mph moderate overlap...

Here is an S60 being unexpectedly crash tested courtesy of a rather quick Audi Q3...

https://youtu.be/TSmiukbyw0I?t=47s

An article in the comments has some photographs clearly showing how well it held up to being hit at around 50mph by a weighty crossover...

http://fishki.net/auto/2082921-avarija-dnja-sereznoe-dtp-s-postradavshimi-v-sankt-peterburge.html

Someone who has interpreted the article said it confirms no fatalities, with the injuries unfortunately coming from from pedestrians waiting to cross the road and the Audi driver.

So from this I basically have learnt that to ensure optimum safety levels are maintained in my Volvo I shouldn't go to Russia.

Also, the thread reminded me of this video demonstrating nothing other than physics; Seicento vs XC70.

If we all put 1% of the effort into driving safely as we do in bragging about how safe our cars are, road accidents would be cut dramatically.

^ WHS.

If you're still worried, here's some reassuring (lies, damned lies and) statistics : G-reg Protons were involved in no fatal car accidents whatsoever over the past decade in the UK. Driving one therefore makes you INVINCIBLE !

^ WHS.

If you're still worried, here's some reassuring (lies, damned lies and) statistics : G-reg Protons were involved in no fatal car accidents whatsoever over the past decade in the UK. Driving one therefore makes you INVINCIBLE !

Well when you put it like that :) I can imagine having kids would make you think differently, I had my sister with her baby in the XM the other day and I don't know if I would feel as comfortable taking them in the Proton. Myself personally I don't care.

https://youtu.be/iXwP780LBw8