Thread Dibnah visit - crumbled like a chimney stack

dollywobbler

CHANGE OF PLAN

As seen earlier, the Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre (ie his last house) is going to close at the end of November. I much fancy the idea of a visit, so we can see some demonsterations and such like. The cost is £12 per head and I'll confirm arrival time once we've got some numbers in. For those of us travelling some way, I'm sure we can arrange an evening meal the night before or something. We can probably coordinate transport as well, as I'm not sure how generous the parking situation is. EDIT - parking is fine. Located: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Radcliffe+Rd,+Bolton+BL2+1NU/@53.5765471,-2.414722,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ba65bdca8c8db:0x5cc2278c89a2d59!8m2!3d53.5765223!4d-2.413389

Please keep discussion to a minimum in this 'Fred', to make it easier to keep track of numbers. Any grumbling about price would be best kept in the News thread. If 4th is no good, 18th is a possibility. Some random info here. http://www.freddibnahheritagecentre.com/

Nahh-then, So what's happening with the place? (Didn't know about it being open t'public until reading this thread) Assume it's still got the big, steam powered workshop and mineshaft headgear in the back yard as seen on the numerous TV programmes he did? Is it being sold off or just closed so family etc can live there in peace?

So what's happening with the place? (Didn't know about it being open t'public until reading this thread) Assume it's still got the big, steam powered workshop and mineshaft headgear in the back yard as seen on the numerous TV programmes he did? Is it being sold off or just closed so family etc can live there in peace?

http://www.freddibnahheritagecentre.com/

Chap who runs it is 70, but has failed to find a buyer, so he's closing it down. There were fundraising attempts to get it all working, but I'm not sure what actually works at the moment. Probably nothing. It's just a chance to see the house and grounds.

I'd imagine getting it all working with all the steam safety certification and all manner of H&S bullshit would be a huge nightmare not to mention an expensive and time-consuming task. All that would be needed before having any chance of opening it to the public as a working museum/entity/shrine etc.

This is something I'd prefer to see some national lottery money spent on to preserve but I'd imagine it's not trendy or 'cool' and has no modern tech angle to latch on to so the lottery people wouldn't be interested. 

1. Dollywobbler.

2. Hooli + Lucky

Do we know if dogs are allowed? I'll check the website in a bit but it's not always clear on such things.

ETA: Can't see 'owt about it on t'website, if you're in contact with them DW could you ask please?

Just so y'all know,there is no steam,no engines,no roller or traction engine,no landrover,no living van.The owner bought it originally to make a quick Buck,advertising it for sale only as year or so after buying it,but couldn't sell,so was pushed into making it a heritage centre.Clearly its not been making him enough,as he's now selling it all off for half a million more than he bought it for.His family have wanted nothing to do with the man from day one,and although a lifelong fan (big prized collection of dibnahbilia) I've never been.What made it special was Fred and his engines,they've long gone.