Last Holden produced today

pshome

There is also problems with domestic violence, lack of communities, racism against the native and general intolerance in Oz. Not helped by most living in suburbs, reliance on the car and the lack of social interaction between neighbours.

Grass isn't always greener.

Quite! Plus the current discussions about gay marriage reveal that a lot of Aussies have no tolerance at all. The treatment of the indigenous people is utterly shocking but fine, applaud them for being a bunch of nasty arseholes just because they say nasty things without a care.

Who was it who said we should replace 'political correctness' with 'being respectful?'. They were right. 'This is being respectful gone mad.'

So it looks like we make the Astra here and ship it there. Various other models like the Barina are probably made in the Far East (surprised they chose that over the Corsa but hey ho) whilst some of the bigger stuff looks like it comes from the US.

Strangely, it's the other way round.  The Holden Caprice exists only as an ADM version of the Chevrolet Caprice, which is (was...) built in Oz and shipped to the US for use as a police car or similar.

chevy-caprice-ppv-police-car.html

I'd wrote something similar, then didn't post it because when I realised it was just as applicable to to the Irish and most countries in the western world.

True, the rest of the world is still at the stage of just stealing off each other rather then investing it in houses.

I guess this means the end of the Vauxhall VXR8 pick up and saloon then.

I also wonder what they will do for a Commodore and Astra replacement with the current Astra being the same as ours and the 2018 Commodore being basically an Insignia, now that PSA own Vauxhall Opel who’s cars these effectively are, will they stop being allowed to use them or was part of the deal to sell to PSA that PSA had to allow GM to use the Astra and Insignia to sell as Holden, Chevrolet, Buick etc models?

It seems to me the reason they had to end car production is because the stuff they were producing over there was built solely for the domestic market in the way a lot of US stuff is, so stuff which couldn’t be sold in Europe for example due to huge engines, poor fuel economy etc. But whilst the US was big enough to produce domestic cars and have the potential to be profitable due to population, Aus wasn’t, if they were producing “world cars” or exporting to Europe or whatever then it would be a different story but the stuff they were producing there wouldn’t really have sold elsewhere, which is a shame because I liked their cars, they were different, had a bit more character, weren’t as clinical and thus more endearing cars.

^^ semi-serious...

French seem to rent at [reasonable %ge living wage] every age. Single/family/OAP.

Does the whole edifice operate to everyone's 'advantage'?

Is property held like 'trusts' = 3.5% return over the next 100 years.

TS

More space so less pressures upwards on prices as less people competing for each purchase. So much cheaper but you have to live in frogshire..

More space so less pressures upwards on prices as less people competing for each purchase. So much cheaper but you have to live in frogshire..

Population density in the UK is greater but broadly similar to Germany; so why the disparate prices?

Australia has none such problem; but still prices at the level they are

Ultimately, density means nothing

... my slant was more "why buy?" if you can afford a manageable rent & have total Tennant security + save/take kids to Disneyland/run chod.

As opposed to broke/bankrupting yourselves/rows/miserable kids[see: rows]... to sweat over a hoped for 'asset growth'/up on the Jones - leave it to the kids*

*possibly flushed down khazie for Aged Care :(

If you see what I mean....

TS

I saw a new silver one today in Tescos car park and realised Holden had gone. It reminded me of the night Radio Luxembourg finished. The DJ said the last thankyous and goodbyes and once the last record had played, it went deathly quiet.

Maybe 30 seconds later some shit (a French station) came on air to replace it and there was a chunk of my youth just gone.

In other news, Liverpool council went ahead and knocked down the old NEMS building, Brian Epstein's record shop and office block where the Beatles signed. Replaced no doubt by some architects wet dream, the very idea of restoring the old place and doing something cool with it was out of the question - I suspect profit was involved and fuck everything else. 

You have obviously never been there...

Far more of this ' got to be seen to be more PC than you' attitude over there.

Any fun you want over there that isn't paid for: there will be a sign saying you can't or there will be a fence round it...

I can only speak for NSW though

Yeah, the impression I got (from Sydney and the surrounding areas at least) is that NSW is about as "Australian" as Paris is "French". 

I don’t want to open the Brexit box again but anyone who is mad for ‘going it alone’ ought to soak up this story carefully. If you are a country that is able to export large numbers of cars economically, treasure that situation and make full use of it. Don’t shit all over the mechanisms that allow you to do it!!!!

Alaways a shame when a 'Motoring Era' comets To an end. Years ago in NZ they were big on CKD assembly of BMC's finest. Not sure how the 1800 Utes got screwed together.

Now however it all pans out with regard to The UK's interface with Europe, the big German car manufacturers must be pulling the buttons of the seats of their chairs with the cheeks of their arse trying to make sure Miss Merkel doesn't shit all over the mechanisms that allow them to blast GM with a BeeEm in the UK market.......the boys in the U.K. Don't vant straight bananas or Euro coins or the Euro registration system or even 4,2,2 MOT testing and a load of Jean Claude's other shite ideas, but very do vant to keep selling them BeeEm, VW Audi and even GM that are built in ze garden

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-15/holdens-cruise-the-streets-of-adelaide/9051598

I was in Melbourne when this happened, as you'd expect there was a fair amount of local coverage. 

After the Holden owners did their cruise some parked up on the central reservation and had to be moved on

luckily the 50 turned up in Commodores.

The previous week the Toyota (Camry) factory in Melbourne closed, less fuss but the ex-staff were given a barbie.