HOW TO: Make a 40 year old carpet almost like new

vulgalour

Could you have put the carpet in a washing machine rather than using the Vax?

I read that as running the dye through the vax!

Id imagine the carpet in the washing machine would have destroyed it, as the backing crumbled away and it all slowly knackered the machine! I usually say hit removed carpet with a pressure washer but even that is fraught with danger on old fabric/carpet!

You should get some nice but cheap white over mats vulg, then dye those so at lease if it proves to not withstand heavy use it'll only be the mats that go manky, not the carpet! It looks like new once fitted!

It's not flexible enough to go in my washing machine since it's latex backed stuff.  I also wouldn't trust the machine to destroy the carpet even if it did fit.  If you haven't got a vax machine you can use regular spray-on cleaners, it's just much more work and the vax does a much more thorough job, quicker.

A newer, less-worn carpet would probably tolerate pressure washing, I'm not sure this one would have.

I think I've still got those beige offcuts I was using as floor mats in the front, they don't fit as well as the modern mid-grey set I have but they should dye to match.  Good thinking, I hadn't thought of doing that.

Dyes are amazing, like they seem to be so good it's almost magic - like we're always so let down by paints and stuff that when something actually does change colour properly it's mindblowing.

The other day I dyed a pair of tan brogues black and honestly you'd never know they weren't made that way. Done in a few hours. Shame really as they were lovely to start with, but I needed black ones cos I'm the best man.

When fresh it smells just like old fashioned felt tip pens.  Once cured it doesn't seem to smell of anything.  Inside of the Princess still smells just like the inside of a Princess.  Might be different when it's had time to bake in the car for a bit.  It's certainly low odour enough to use indoors with no ill effect, it's quite a pleasant smell really.

That looks like a great result. I vaxed my cortina carpet about 15 times and it went from stinking spider farm to quite present able. Better than I though.

I recon one of those steam clean jet wash things would do quite a good job of cleaning one up.

That looks like a great result. I vaxed my cortina carpet about 15 times and it went from stinking spider farm to quite present able. Better than I though.

I recon one of those steam clean jet wash things would do quite a good job of cleaning one up.

I've revived many synthetic carpets from cars by nailing them on a wall and jet washing them. Red 106 Rallye ones come up lovely! With enough detergents you can get the smell of gearbox oil out too.

Great result! Was that a standard colour, or did you have to get it mixed up?

Standard colour "Burnt Orange" which isn't far off Paprika.  They seem to have close matches to all the standard Princess carpet colours, even the rare 100 Club purple carpets have what looks like a reasonable match in the range.

heh... originally this car had brown carpet, door cards and seats, called Sorrel trim.  I replaced those with the full black set from a car I stripped.  Paprika was, I believe, late model Princess and was seats, door cards, carpet and a plastic skirt around the bottom of the seats that only the late models got.  So no, Paprika carpet and black seats isn't a factory combo, but it should have been.  Normally Paprika was paired with Champagne Beige or, if it was an Allegro, whatever the plain silver was called.

Dyes are amazing, like they seem to be so good it's almost magic - like we're always so let down by paints and stuff that when something actually does change colour properly it's mindblowing.

The other day I dyed a pair of tan brogues black and honestly you'd never know they weren't made that way. Done in a few hours. Shame really as they were lovely to start with, but I needed black ones cos I'm the best man.

And there was me thinking your username was based on a colloquialism for a load of old rubbish.

I used a household Vax machine and the fluid pictured.  It didn't take very long at all to clean up the carpet.

Ive recently acquired a VAX 6131 from my sister, as she was moving house, n bought a new hoover; she said she could never get the 'carpet n fabric' washing bit working on it... she had all the attachments, extra bucket n even the user manual with it... I brought it home n spotted a chaffed clear line near the machine plug in bit; cut about 2 inches back, n reattached (clear line into a mug of warm water n onto the brass barbed fitting 'ala' washwipe fix on a car)...

I tested it on an old household car mat I use for 'lying under cars', and later the 'smaller head' on a shit'shiney old drivers seat; not much at all happening 'washing wise' n the water stayed milky clear; I even used a household pump sprayer with just warm water in it to pre soften up the filth, before hittin it with the VAX 6131 but again it 'shagg all' (boom boom!!)

......am I missing something?? clearly am looking at your brown water pics there...

Ive recently acquired a VAX 6131 from my sister, as she was moving house, n bought a new hoover; she said she could never get the 'carpet n fabric' washing bit working on it... she had all the attachments, extra bucket n even the user manual with it... I brought it home n spotted a chaffed clear line near the machine plug in bit; cut about 2 inches back, n reattached (clear line into a mug of warm water n onto the brass barbed fitting 'ala' washwipe fix on a car)...

I tested it on an old household car mat I use for 'lying under cars', and later the 'smaller head' on a shit'shiney old drivers seat; not much at all happening 'washing wise' n the water stayed milky clear; I even used a household pump sprayer with just warm water in it to pre soften up the filth, before hittin it with the VAX 6131 but again it 'shagg all' (boom boom!!)

......am I missing something?? clearly am looking at your brown water pics there...

Paging beko. Is Mr beko1987 available?

The problem with using a vax etc is if it's an oily type stain, it probably won't shift. Vulgs dirt looks more organic, so mud etc, which is water soluble.

The best thing would be to pre treat whatever it is with some proper chemicals, then scrub it with a good stuff brush, then rinse it using just water in the vax, which should pull all the dirt out.

Re no water out if the vax, if its a modern tub one, check the water is actually coming through the little tube, they shit their solution pumps for fun, and that's £20 for a new Chinese one. Not sure if there's a one way valve anywhere, I've not had one apart in thst much detail. I had a 6131 to sell once but it was so knackered I broke it for spares (still got a brand new filter housing with filter and orange recovery bucket if anyone wants it?)

Back in 1991, I bought a 1986 Hyundai Pony 1.5GLS from a local farmers son for the princely sum of £240!

I believe it was used to transport livestock to the local markets based on the state of the interior....

I stripped out the interior and removed the fabric from the seats and put them through the washing machine - came out like new!

The carpet was taken down to the local Jet Wash in Galashiels and the generally black carpet returned to a lovely blue colour!

Took a couple of days for everything to dry out but the results were very impressive.

I think the Hyundai carpet was 100% plastic, so it was great for pressure washing.

I tend to use the pressure washer on car mats these days, usually cleans them up a treat.