Citroen ZX 1.9D Avantage, £325. 11 months MOT, cambelt done etc

bramz7

Hmmm. Not sure why I, but I just can't get on with this. Drove a long(ish) journey on Saturday and didn't actually really enjoy it at all. Whereas with the soon to depart 405, I couldn't wait to get in it and go somewhere (fuel bill notwithstanding).

Anyway, that's pretty meh for an opening gambit in a car advert. 

It's done 110k which will surpass 111 when it (hopefully) sells. 

The good:

Long MOT, until September 2018.

Cambelt and water pump done 4k ago, which is backed up with an invoice. 

Plenty of recent and thus relevant service history. 

New glow plugs very recently.

Brand new unused tow ball, which cost a frankly staggering £450, again paperwork.

Drives very well. Like unusually pokey for a straight diesel, 2nd onwards and it has some impressive torque (for a non turbo XUD) backing it up.

Great heater.

Superb fuel economy, XUD duh. 

Unusually bright red paintwork.

Incredibly high standard of welding done to inner wings

Good tyres all round.

All electrics work

Spare key

The not so good:

Some marks and dings to the bodywork, but nothing drastic

Typically the speedo wobbles like a drunk in a hurricane. 

Seems to stutter for a second when cold (i.e. after 12+ hours) started

Gear shift a bit squeaky. 

Otherwise, it's impeccable. Bit sad to be selling so soon as it's a genuinely great car. Sadly the recent cars I've bought and sold (Xantias and 405s) have made me yearn something a bit plusher.

Have some photos:

36746812994_1c71d0e2b0_k.jpg1993 Citroen ZX Avantage. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

36746803984_5963494aad_k.jpg1993 Citroen ZX Avantage. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

36746799394_5cce724c5e_k.jpgCitroen ZX Engine. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

36746811554_2e60589e2d_k.jpgCitroen ZX Avantage interior. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

As per, I can deliver it to you. Ideally either this coming Sunday (22nd) or the Saturday (28th). We can discuss how I get back if you're interested.

As ever, I am in Reading. 

Not ZX related but K-RAF related, some years ago I was tempted by an XR2 from 1988 that had somehow become K25RAF, whatever rules prevented a car carrying a newer registration mark had obviously been disregarded there. Didn't buy the car though.

I'd say around 45-48mpg?

Depends on how you drive it though, proper eco and you'd crack 50 easy

Drive like a teenage yobbo, a bit under 40mpg.

I like the look of the seats in this

YES. This has everything mine didn't; tweedy seats (the fabric, not the (alleged) racist toilet pugilist), no immobiliser, rubber gear lever gaiter, and UNPAINTED BUMPERS. In spite of all that pov, it's got leccy windows? Maybe the first owner could only stretch to one option.

And it's a mk1.

And the obvious question?...(I don't know how to tell the difference)

Looking forward to seeing if I agree with the 405/ZX comparison, as this will be taking over everyday duties from my unexpectedly rotten 405 estate (also 1.9 n/a XUD) in November.  It's got a lot to live up to; the 405 is the first modern car (modern to me is less than 30ish years old) that I've truely gelled with.  Given the extent of rot found it should be put out of its misery, but instead will be going in the long term restoration queue along with my landcrab and one of the 1100s.

Looking forward to seeing if I agree with the 405/ZX comparison, as this will be taking over everyday duties from my unexpectedly rotten 405 estate (also 1.9 n/a XUD) in November.  It's got a lot to live up to; the 405 is the first modern car (modern to me is less than 30ish years old) that I've truely gelled with.  Given the extent of rot found it should be put out of its misery, but instead will be going in the long term restoration queue along with my landcrab and one of the 1100s.

As someone who is currently (but not for much longer) running a 405 and ZX in tandem, I found them both very likeable to drive. I'd hazard a guess that the n/a XUD in a ZX is a bit quicker though...

Anyway, you'll find out soon!

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure why you don't see me as I'm pretty sure we even leave in the same part of Reading, I just took my Rover for a late evening cruise too, down the A4 and back via Sulham.

Also glad this is still in good hands. It was a neat car, but no longer what I wanted.

A friend if mine has a very well tuned black 3 door diesel in Stratford, London that's running about 250bhp and an enormous amount of torque

As for me, I rarely visit London but this red ZX did 150 miles on my trailer today. A grey 2.0 16valve did the same amount last week on the trailer back from Anglesey for a friend.

I have a ZX diesel auto but its not on the road. Nothing much wrong with it, I just don't need it right now!