1985 Opel Rekord 2.2 CDi Manual. £Sold

sutty2006

This may not be everyones cup of tea on here, but its worth a try. It is with deep regret that I am putting my Opel Rekord up for sale. Too many projects and not enough time/money for them all.

For those of you that don't know the car, I bought it as a rolling shell in 2014. The engine, gearbox, wiring loom, radiator, fuel tank and pump plus more was missing. I sourced a genuine 2.2 injection engine, a Manta 5 speed gearbox and the rest of the parts came from all over the UK.

73800 miles.

Almost 12 months MOT

Some areas of body work were repaired, A pillar by windscreen, sills, a patch in the o/s/r door, front valance plus more. Paintwork was matched brilliantly but the prepwork must have been crap as there are areas that have boubled up (roof and rear arches)

Engine. New timing chain kit and water pump. New plugs, leads, oil and filter. Engine oil has been changed again since going back on the road. Correct 2.2 flywheel was blasted and skimmed, and a NOS clutch kit fitted. New clutch cable. Radiator was sourced but required reconditioning so is as new (tripple core)

Rear axle is an estate axle (slightly wider) with new diff pinion bearings and a new o/s/r wheel bearing. Fresh diff oil.

New front disks and pads, new rear drums and shoes on the rear.

New rear shock absorbers and 1x new spring

New front ARB links

New heater matrix

Cd Player fitted with new speakers in the dash.

New chrome screen trim front and back.

4x new tyres

New old stock fuel tank sourced then hit with a few coats of hammerite black.

1x New rear light lens

New Handbrake cable

New Battery

The list goes on and on. Ive used new parts where ever possible and ive put hundreds of hours into it to get it road worthy.

Electric windows, electric + heated mirrors, central locking, power steering, electric boot release, trip computor.... all in good working order. The interior is in very good condition. Runs and drives superb.... must be driven to appreciate.

Needs minor fettling to make mint. Fan blower motor is seized (second one thats seized, must be common) and the rear arches could do with sorting sooner rather than later. The o/s/r arch wants doing, Ive got a new panel to use. Ive already put well over £4000 into the restoration so making a loss as it stands. Any questions please ask. Located in Stoke on Trent.

£1895

post-17429-0-89576100-1508171083_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-16336000-1508171096_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-80793500-1508171110_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-99330100-1508171128_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-03172400-1508171142_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-30068300-1508171164_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-71918600-1508171180_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-93172700-1508171191_thumb.jpg

post-17429-0-76749800-1508171230_thumb.jpg

A local MP (TD) was driven in one identical to this from 87-92, then a w124. Actually he had an early Ascona 1.6d in silver before that, but in 1987 he got a ministerial promotion that came with a car so that's where the Rekord came from.

Except his had the bonnet bulge. Because fuel.

Lovely, lovely car; can only imagine how this one drives; I've driven a diesel Rekord since and it really was dangerously slow

But could you imagine any government minister nowadays not looking for a Merc or a BMW (by the w124 he got in 1992, the times had probably changed then)

• 2 months later...

Would you consider a swap for a 1975 Vauxhall 2300S (FE Victor) that’s in need of a tune-up but otherwise good? (I could probably sort the tune-up if motivated.)

attachicon.gif99C5CE94-1F5A-4AA6-BC08-9F0A640F460B.jpeg

It’s worth a chunk more than £2k, but I haven’t jelled with it.

Shit the bed man. If Sutty's not up for that I will give you £2k for that  tomorrow and you can buy the Opel. 

What a lovely looking motor. My old man had one well over 20 years ago, all I remember was it was the first car my dad had with an alarm so he spent ages bouncing the car to see if it'd go off.

It was a Moss alarm, so naturally it did go off, a lot :mrgreen: It also had knackered piston rings.

I'd love one :D

Would you consider a swap for a 1975 Vauxhall 2300S (FE Victor) that’s in need of a tune-up but otherwise good? (I could probably sort the tune-up if motivated.)

attachicon.gif99C5CE94-1F5A-4AA6-BC08-9F0A640F460B.jpeg

It’s worth a chunk more than £2k, but I haven’t jelled with it.

Well, as far as vauxhalls go.... Ive got a soft spot for the FE victor, vx4/90 and such..... so yes, I could see myself in that very happily.

Hmm, I need to talk Mrs Skizzer round - nothing against the Opel, it’s just that swaps don’t count as the promised fleet reduction. (Buying back the Granada didn’t either, and it turns out I’m still deep in the doghouse for that.) I got a fierce talking to today but will work on her over the next week.

If you get a better/confirmed offer in the meantime of course then don’t hold back. Will also dig out more Victor details at the weekend.

Hmm, I need to talk Mrs Skizzer round - nothing against the Opel, it’s just that swaps don’t count as the promised fleet reduction. (Buying back the Granada didn’t either, and it turns out I’m still deep in the doghouse for that.) I got a fierce talking to today but will work on her over the next week.

If you get a better/confirmed offer in the meantime of course then don’t hold back. Will also dig out more Victor details at the weekend.

We are but two men in the same boat. I need to thin the fleet also, however a swap is technically not gaining nor loosing me space. Which I can live with. And future to be Mrs Sutty prefers the looks of the Victor over the rekord. Is it Automatic?

Also sutty glwts. Brings back many memories if my childhood.

Exactly the reason I bought it. Grandad had one many many many moons ago..... so yeah there is a bit of sentimental in it.

That's the thing. I grew up with carltons,maxis,cortinas,capris,granadas,volvos,rover sd1 etc all hanging out their arse. Now they are cars in demand. Like my 340,grandad bought one a few months old in 1990. He died in 99 and sold the car in 2001 as my dad used it. His also was a 3 door cvt but in blue.