1985 Opel Rekord 2.2 CDi Manual. £Sold

sutty2006

Didn't realise they sold a Rekord by 1985 in UK? Whats its history?

Previously registered overseas. My guess is it was ordered by a seriveman posted in Germany and brought back to the UK when he returned. It was originally fitted with Pencil beam headlights which have been removed (probably on return when converted to right hand beam lights)

A mate of mine had a Mercedes W114 that had come by this route, bought in Germany in right-hand-drive and registered over here when he brought it home, so the reg plate made it look a few years younger than it actually was.

Nobody ever thought to change the headlamps in the intervening forty-odd years so people were always flashing at him.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of anywhere I can advertise this for sale? eBay is a big no no, twice advertised at £15 a time with no joy. Its currently on car and classic and retro rides, cant think of anywhere else to advertise it really.

A mate of mine had a Mercedes W114 that had come by this route, bought in Germany in right-hand-drive and registered over here when he brought it home, so the reg plate made it look a few years younger than it actually was.

Nobody ever thought to change the headlamps in the intervening forty-odd years so people were always flashing at him.

Im surprised it ever passed an MOT like that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I reckon it’s in the right places - so maybe you’ve got to think about price? I don’t know anything about these at all - but if you’re taking it to the right market and getting no bites, then perhaps it’s a bit toppy.

The only other place people part with proper money for cars is PH, but you will have to pay and it’s not classic PistonHeads fodder.

Good luck!

I reckon it’s in the right places - so maybe you’ve got to think about price? 

This.  It's nice and it's rare, but do these have much of a following?

If it was a Ford Granada then you would have a queue of buyers at twice the price, but life ain't fair!

This.  It's nice and it's rare, but do these have much of a following?

If it was a Ford Granada then you would have a queue of buyers at twice the price, but life ain't fair!

If it didnt owe me the best part of £4k (lost count after hitting that mark) I would drop it, but its worth it all day long. Someone will get a bargain and theres been a few other mk2 carltons for sale in much worse condition for a similar price.

If it didnt owe me the best part of £4k (lost count after hitting that mark) I would drop it, but its worth it all day long. Someone will get a bargain and theres been a few other mk2 carltons for sale in much worse condition for a similar price.

I love this. Smart, capable, cherished - full house on numberwang bingo.

But, it’s worth what someone is willing to pay. Sorry to be ‘that guy’ but it’s an undeniable truth.

Worth more to you? Certainly. I get that.

Sit on it. You need one buyer, and I doubt these will ever be worth £300 so hold tight and good luck.

I love this. Smart, capable, cherished - full house on numberwang bingo.

But, it’s worth what someone is willing to pay. Sorry to be ‘that guy’ but it’s an undeniable truth.

Worth more to you? Certainly. I get that.

Sit on it. You need one buyer, and I doubt these will ever be worth £300 so hold tight and good luck.

I personally have told sutty to keep and enjoy this but I know he has too many cars one of his unfinished projects is my fault, he let his heart rule his head saving this when he heard it got engine raped for a manta and the remains getting sold on as banger fodder, we picked it up and he set about getting it welded up and painted at a mates garage and getting all the relevant bits to get a 2.2 injection back under the bonnet then puztting it together, having a stainless exhaust made etc there has been a lot more time,effort and cash input than the cars true value, but the car is a great drive and is something different than the norm just a shame they havnt got a bigger following

The day it was picked up

post-4828-0-92905900-1519379216_thumb.jpg

I wish I could have this.

It's like a MK2 Cavalier with the drive at the correct end of the car.

Have you looked to sell on Autobahnstormers? Any 80's Vaux is very welcomed over there.

I thought Autobahnstormers was for 6 cylinders only? Could be mistaken.

I had a Vauxhall 2.2 CDi back in 89. Sold it to buy a house.

What a great car, I was only 19 and this thing was the mutts nuts. Wheelspin, donuts, 120mph, everything I owned packed up in it for a move. 

If only I had more space. I have 4 cars more than I can park outside my house already and Mrs G. keeps threatening to get the scrappy round every time I go away for work.

She also wants a skip to empty the garage. Now that is just cruel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...