Hot Hatch Investment / Fettle / Fun

face

So, I may be in a position to both financially afford and store a weekend motor. This will hopefully be early in the new year.

I'm a spannertwat, but would like to change that gradually. Also would love a weekend hack and, knowing how things go, keep it for 10-20 years as an investment.

To be honest, I don't care so much about the investment bit, but it would be nice.

So I will spend up to £2K.

I have really whittled it down to three options:

Puma 1.7 (I had a 1.4 and loved it)

Clio 172/182 (always fancied one)

MX5 MK1 (had one, loved it)

I think any of them would be perfect for what I want and should appreciate given any luck.

MX5 is distinctly last choice.

Puma is £1500 for a really nice one

Clio is £1750 for a really nice one.

Any opinions?

Advice?

To be honest, I don't think that you can go too far wrong with any of those three.

Gut feeling from that list is the Clio - from a financial point of view they're still seemingly at the bottom of their depreciation and must surely go up given the way that 90's Peugeot 106/306 are doing currently (and 205/309's have long since done) and from a driving point of view, they're probably one of the last of the "old school" hot-hatches and great to drive. Depending if you can weld or not, they're also the least tin worm infested of the three...

To be honest, I don't think that you can go too far wrong with any of those three.

Gut feeling from that list is the Clio - from a financial point of view they're still seemingly at the bottom of their depreciation and must surely go up given the way that 90's Peugeot 106/306 are doing currently (and 205/309's have long since done) and from a driving point of view, they're probably one of the last of the "old school" hot-hatches and great to drive. Depending if you can weld or not, they're also the least tin worm infested of the three...

I can't weld but know somebody who would see to anything for me.

I think you're right on the Clio - it's the only one of the three I have yet to drive (driven a newer 200).

Of those three, the 182, but keep it stock as a rock (apart from replacing the boat-like steering wheel, I will allow that).

Saxo VTS yes, will appreciate. VTR probably won't. Again originality counts.

MX5 probably the best for cheap thrills, but will go rusty and therefore won't appreciate.

Puma is a hoot to drive and on the road you can pretty much use all of its power without things being too illegal. 

They are a bit small inside and only 2 seater. FRP are already going for decent money. 

Depending where you are you are more than welcome to have a drive of the Puma. Or buy it off me so I can buy a slightly broken 172 :-) 

All three sound good options, as does a Saxo. £2k would get you a nice example of any, and they'll all be good fun to drive and go up in value (though I'd rather that Saxos didn't, since I'd still quite like to get one)

Don't know much about Clios, but as far as I know, the thing to look out for with Pumas and MX5s is rust. Find a solid one and look after it, and I don't think you'd have too many issues. I haven't had either though, so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt

Puma is a hoot to drive and on the road you can pretty much use all of its power without things being too illegal. 

They are a bit small inside and only 2 seater. FRP are already going for decent money. 

Depending where you are you are more than welcome to have a drive of the Puma. Or buy it off me so I can buy a slightly broken 172 :-)

I had a 1.4 and it was great :)

Of those three, the 182, but keep it stock as a rock (apart from replacing the boat-like steering wheel, I will allow that).

Saxo VTS yes, will appreciate. VTR probably won't. Again originality counts.

MX5 probably the best for cheap thrills, but will go rusty and therefore won't appreciate.

Yes, anything I go for will be kept to stock.

Not sure any Rovers will make it as an investment... Not even a BRM or Tomcat. They'll go up but they're not cool enough.

Saxo VTS and VTR yes, Fiesta Zetec S is probably not quite bargain bucket but it is at the bottom of the curve. Clio Williams you may have missed the boat on.... RSi? Pre Facelift Megane Coupe?

I'm a spannertwat

Any opinions?

Advice?

On the basis that the MX5 isn't a hot hatch I'm going to make the serious suggestion of a Porsche 924 which at least has a hatch and rear seats for little people. I was a massive spannertwat when I got mine 4 yrs ago and they're great to learn on as there's no electronickery and a solid knowledge base from owner/fixers. It's all mechanicals and electricals. I'm still not an expert but I've not yet attempted anything and had to bail out due to being out of my depth or not being able to work it out/get help. Although prices are on the up I'd say you will still get a decent one for 2K, especially this time of the year. They're cool and although the sub £1K boat has sailed the £2K boat is calling last boarding.

£1500 should buy you the best possible Puma in the world. With £750 in cash in the boot.

If I were you I'd be looking for a Focus 'Collection', they're really sought after now and getting harder to find. Plus, oddly enough, I have one for sale.