Secret Shitters

UltraWomble

German political cabaret heavyweight Urban Priol participating in a chod rally with his Audi 100:

e5e48feedf.jpg

He also owns a Dyane.

One day, he said, he sold his newfangled tosh and got himself the old Audi, because he got sick and tired

of being at the mercy of big corporations and wanted something that he can fix himself if something breaks.

Sounds like a bona fide shiter to me?

I want to post "For Real" when I read about Richey Edwards and his Cavalier but trying to sound clever and part of the 90's scene never works for me somehow.

I suppose it takes a special type of musician to drive a repmobile only just over a year old, Somehow I can't imagine Jimi Hendrix owning a MK2 Cortina 1.3deluxe with a flat battery.

Edit, no disrespect intended to any person's living or not.

Don't RCR have an undisclosed camera car? The MR2 is Mr R's personal car.

Are they keeping quiet on that for a reason or are they just taking their sweet time showing it?

has an Enfield 8000 in his stable of cars.

Bit of an understatement there, it's the quickest road legal electric car in Europe!

The-Enfield-8000-smashes-world-speed-rec

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/1975-enfield-8000-electric-becomes-europes-quickest-street-legal-electric-car/

The Manics were from south Wales, a Cav might have been truly aspirational to them.

Consider as well that an equivalent rep car now is probably a 520D, and that makes the Cav a bit more than you think too.

Are they keeping quiet on that for a reason or are they just taking their sweet time showing it?

At the end of this video (5:13) he says he's keeping it quiet for a while, so he can be anonymous for a bit. That was in June.

500k miles over 20 years, is 25k per annum.

John Peel lived in Great Finborough in Suffolk, so the commute to Broadcasting House from Peel Acres would be a 185 mile round trip.

Three times a week for 48 weeks a year gives you just over 26k miles.

He probably didn't drive in three times a week, but throw in some festival trips and continental trip once a year and 25k looks easily do-able.

Yes, he lived just down the road from me.  I never forgave my friend (who I used to ride shotgun with a lot) for going to John's to fix his TV and not taking me along for the ride.

In the later years he was at Peel Acres on R1 once or twice a week depending on sessions.  I mentioned KM because it was a left hand drive car - unlikely to be counting in miles.  Although perhaps it had a speedo change?  It's likely John bought it back from Germany where he had many connections, having lived there for a time.

Sadly, as it was scrapped in 2004 - and the online system didn't kick in until the year after - we'll never know.

Bit of an understatement there, it's the quickest road legal electric car in Europe!

The-Enfield-8000-smashes-world-speed-rec

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/1975-enfield-8000-electric-becomes-europes-quickest-street-legal-electric-car/

Oh I know :), he's a friend of mine.  I've seen him using it for the supermarket run before now :D

German comedian Dirk Bach and the car he owns since 1998:

ami08-promiautosbachslincoln-mpsams-5883

ami_072.jpg

He says he's got a corkboard at home where he pins all his speeding ticket photos.

This is the only car he ever bought.

Dirk Bach is now dead since 2012, wonder where his vehicle went.

James Hunt had a Austin A30 Van.

I did once did a week's work for an auction house. Hunt's A35 was in the auction. It was a nice looking thing, but only in fair condition from memory. Even with the Hunt connection it didn't make big money. This is going back a good number of years. I also remember there was a sage green Aston DB4 which I coveted, thinking that one day it might be on the cards. Its estimate was £14-16K. Oh the days!

Update:

Hunt's A35 didn't sell and the Aston made £18687 (about £33k in real terms):

http://www.motorbase.com/auction/by-id/1032666987/

Nile Rodgers still drives his yellow p38 Range Rover.

We never got a yellow p38 over here, his was a special edition for the US market (unlike that badly painted mess in Layer Cake).

A lesson to anyone tempted to shovel their way through $76000 worth of coke of an evening.

I want to post "For Real" when I read about Richey Edwards and his Cavalier but trying to sound clever and part of the 90's scene never works for me somehow.

I suppose it takes a special type of musician to drive a repmobile only just over a year old, Somehow I can't imagine Jimi Hendrix owning a MK2 Cortina 1.3deluxe with a flat battery.

Edit, no disrespect intended to any person's living or not.

It was a hire car