Heads up: Machine Mart VAT free offer.

Cavcraft

Machine Mart have a 'VAT free' offer from the 29th October to the 5th November. Minium spend is £50, and there's a discount code on a card they send out, but I expect if you haven't got the card you could ask them for a code anyhow.

If that doesn't work and anyone wants to use my code, then just sing out and I'll pm it to you.

Out of interest: When did you get your last one?

I got one July sometime via email, but it seems that they hit different groups of people at different times. I've had plenty of limited offers (shelving, temp garages, etc.) I know at one point I was getting some emails and some postcards, but that may have been down to me buying from 3 different branches.

Out of interest: When did you get your last one?

I got one July sometime via email, but it seems that they hit different groups of people at different times. I've had plenty of limited offers (shelving, temp garages, etc.) I know at one point I was getting some emails and some postcards, but that may have been down to me buying from 3 different branches.

The card came through this morning, Eddie.

I might buy an engine crane or a parts washer. Trouble is, so much Machine Mart Clarke stuff is absolute crap.

I quite like their stuff, tbh. Most of what I've had has been decent enough and lasted a while. The parts washers are ok if you're just 'hobbying' but for serious use, you need a proper (SK) type one. 

Guest Lord Sward

^^^^ ... reminds me of the guy who went off to work and came home to find BT had shifted a telepole to the middle of his drive access.

Something about 'dropped kerb/council permission to cross a pathway'....

*no caravan content, sozz :(

TS

I had a similar thing happen to me with the electric board.  We used to have this massive, end of street electric pole for the over head wires. It was listing so badly, they had to put a cable into the ground on the opposing side to stop it falling over.  Anyway, the third time the council tapped into it for more electric I said enough was enough and claimed ownership of the land and ordered the electric board off.  

Sorry, no machine mart content.

Their ratchets are ace. I’ve had the 3/8 Drive one for the last 15 years at least. Works like new, they sell good 6 point drive sockets as well, never had one split on me. Their screwdrivers look shit though. Best screwdrivers I’ve had bizarrely were the Wilkinson’s ‘The Best’ range. Naff I know but really comfortable to use and they’ve never lost their edge, only something like £3 for a medium size Pozi.

Their ratchets are ace. I’ve had the 3/8 Drive one for the last 15 years at least. Works like new, they sell good 6 point drive sockets as well, never had one split on me. Their screwdrivers look shit though. Best screwdrivers I’ve had bizarrely were the Wilkinson’s ‘The Best’ range. Naff I know but really comfortable to use and they’ve never lost their edge, only something like £3 for a medium size Pozi.

The catalogue is already open. Whilst justifying to Mrs BMH purchasing tools is always a tricky problem, this has worked out well as it's fallen when my birthday occurs!.

Trolley jack is top of the list as the current one has started loosing pressure when lifting. Another tool cabinet is also a possibility as I bought one of Aldi's finest early this year as I was fed up with the Snap-On tool box being on the floor. It was excellent value for money and fits nicely in the back of the garage as well as allowing easy access to the tools now. Mind you, I forgot to measure the distance between the MG and the garage door so it took several hours to get it there. It'll be a smaller version this time as there's still another tool box on the floor.

temp garages

Sorry, this maybe better in the SQA thread but...

Are their garages any good?

I see they've got an offer on at the moment and my car cover is fucking the already fucked paint on the 924 even more, and it's not as waterproof as it claimed to be. I'm starting to tidy the car up so I'd like to not use the cover but the sunroof leaks. 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig1015-heavy-duty-instant-garage-gre/

This one for £250ish looks alright. Anyone have actual experience please?

I might buy an engine crane or a parts washer. Trouble is, so much Machine Mart Clarke stuff is absolute crap.

I disagree, almost all the stuff I've had from them down the years has been fine and good VFM. The only thing I can recall being disappointed with was an air hose that seems to perish & leak in only a few years (the replacement has lasted much longer).

I find their stuff fine for even quite heavy DIY use, sure it isn't up to pro standards and the Snap-On/Mac queens will doubtless slag it off but for what most people (non-trade) ask of their kit, it's perfectly OK.

It's interesting that the USA's sort-of equivilent - Harbour Freight, comes in for similar criticism according to an American colleague of mine but again is fine for most stuff.

If you sign up online, MM send out these VAT-Free codes by email too. I get one every 1-2 months. 

Got a VAT-free email a couple of days ago on the 18th. For Carlisle Sun 22nd Oct 2017 10am-4pm OR Sun 29th Oct 2017 10am-4pm.

I've also bought stuff in Glasgow and Chester.

Last purchase was end of July saving a wedge of VAT on this Clarke HDPlus (got fed up trying to find my tools in various random places):

post-19900-0-36313000-1503173821_thumb.jpg

Now I can fill it with posh tools*, rather than buying a posh trolley.

*yeah okay, that's a Lidl T20 + T25 screwdriver on top  :oops:

Machine Mart have a 'VAT free' offer from the 29th October to the 5th November. Minium spend is £50, and there's a discount code on a card they send out, but I expect if you haven't got the card you could ask them for a code anyhow.

If that doesn't work and anyone wants to use my code, then just sing out and I'll pm it to you.

Thanks for sharing Cavcraft. I assume more than one person can use your code? If so, pm incoming.

• 5 months later...

Heyup lads, I'm just about to drop £380 on a welder, I don't suppose MM have another offer on? 

Apparently the latest vat free offer ended - according to my inbox - on the 27th March. Id phone em up and ask them if they'll do you a deal. I'm sure they would if you mention something about a good deal on ebay or whatever.