Volkswagen Golf 1.6CL - offers - clutch fried, would it roffle for £1.25?

pandamonium

What did you do with the airbag connector? The other end connects in under the steering column housing, so if you are hoping for a loose connection, did you check there?

I might have a back wiper, I'll have a look if you want.

Nothing wrong with Mk3 Golfs.....

I've fixed the central locking, interior light and the cigarette lighter. Just one fuse.

However, the battery is weak, so perhaps I'd have been better off leaving it. I'll grab a new battery when I've got some cash.

Went out for a little drive and I'm pleased with it, getting used to the heavy VAG feel (ooh matron).

post-1804-0-04312600-1507811653_thumb.jpg

post-1804-0-15002000-1507811704_thumb.jpg

post-1804-0-00849000-1507811761_thumb.jpg

Update: Still OK, still works.

I am starting to compile a list of things to do...

New wiper blades - done

Fix central locking - done

Fix interior light - done

New rear wiper arm

Cure lazy starting issue in mornings - new battery fitted, no different. Must be a power drain...

Cover bonnet lacquer peel with something

Deep clean interior

Finding out why Radio loses stations.

Cure squeaking brakes.

First gear crunches.

Touch up bumper scrapes.

I'm sure there will be more to add.

The lazy starter has been  there from the day I got it. The starting sounded worse than it was, it never failed to start at all and the starter seemed to spin over better with increased use of the car. The wiring check re: earths could well be a good start and wouldn't hurt anyway. Squeaky brakes could well respond to a good clean of the calipers and so on, due to circumstances the Golf would spend fair amounts of time parked up, am sure a good tidy up would reap benefits.

Gear issue. Maybe a change of gear box oil would be a good place to start, not sure when it was done but wasn't done on my watch. It was on the hopeful list however.

Radio. Umm, not sure. I think I used a proper connector set up but the radio is not much cop and was one I had lurking in the garage. I will be taking the DAB one out of the Volvo to fit to the Rover, so I will post the Rover one back to you early next week hopefully.

I think the only bit of the interior that I didn't tackle was vacuuming the carpet and finishing off the boot area carpet properly, especially the rear 1/4 panel trim and the rear seat belts. They will need a good deep clean. The dash and front seats should be in pretty good order cleanwise. 

Bonnet maybe repainting the bonnet wouldn't be that pricey, a replacement is not expensive either. Shame about the lacquer as the bonnet is in virtually mint condition otherwise.

Cover bonnet lacquer peel with something

See other posts on here on the subject. Very difficult to do without complete respray IMHO. I also think that is worst red ever Flash Red, LP3G. (Nerd)

Finding out why Radio loses stations.

VW of this era have the switch live and permanent live the wrong way round to the standards. Don't worry if it looks like you need to connect reds - yellows and not red - red ; yellow - yellow. Preferably check with multimeter.

Cure squeaking brakes.

Pad wear or cleaning up and lubricating. Backs can fill up with dust and need new split pin, correct resetting of hub nut etc. so are a bigger pain than the fronts.

First gear crunches.

Should have synchro on all gears IIRC. Check clutch cable. IIRC is meant to be self adjusting but things go wrong at the ends and the cable stretches.