Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mk1 MX5 WBOD: Hoon complete

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 6,782 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

I’d avoid any calls with the insurance till you are sure what you want to do. Once you’ve deducted the excess off and calculated 5 years worth of increased premiums I’d very much doubt it’s worth claiming. Once you’ve told the insurer you’ve had a bang though there’s no way back.
  • billyboy406v6 likes this

#152 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

... Once you’ve told the insurer you’ve had a bang though there’s no way back.

When it comes to renewal and they ask about any accidents in the last 3 or 5 years you need to give the details anyway or face fines/prison/death (delete as appropriate)

Of course with it being a driver from overseas then they will no doubt not be sharing any details with other insurance companies :)

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1957 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1972 Triumph Toledo

1986 Talbot Express Camper

1999 Renault Clio

2001 Alfa 156

2004 Renault Clio

#153 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

• Full Members
  • 460 posts
  • 16 thanks

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

As it wasn't your fault (he moved into you IIRC) then I'd wait until at least SOME contact is made by either the driver/company/insurer..... so you'll know their approach. As it'll be company insurance - you could also contact them direct..... tell them you don't want 'too much' hassle and if it'll damage their insurance premiums to a greater amount then a cash settlement would be easier all round.... worth a shot.

If plod didn't register it, and no report number is active then it won't show on any insurers database so you'll be clear on that one too...... if worried - a friendly insurance broker could do a check and see if anything is logged on 'the system' - they do this all the time even for telephone quotes.

Good luck fella - perfect track soldier now I'd say......... get 'er done!

#154 OFFLINE   Wack

Wack

• Full Members
  • 991 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

Can't get a hold of the driver or are the company ignoring you

Ask mid now has a cost option for you to get the insurance details of the other party , think its about £5 but youd need to check it can get the detsils of a foreign policy

Were there any witnesses, did you take out the legal cover with the policy , if you did they should do all the chasing on your behalf

2003 Range Rover HSE

2006 Mazda MX5 BBR200

2002 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa

2015 Mercedes B220 CDi 4Matic

2011 Ford Transit XLWB Dropside

#155 OFFLINE   ERNO

ERNO

• Full Members
  • 130 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationHackney

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

After meeting MrTwoShoes at work the other day and chatting mx-5s, I've been thinking about what I'd do.

Since you have a contact for the Polish haulage firm I'd drop them a nice email with some pictures, times, dates, etc. and ask them for some money. It's not in your interest or their interest if you start to make calls to the Met Police and insurers imho. It's pretty easy for them to sack you off and there's not that much feasibly you can do about it though.

I'd tidy up the damage, the main thing being that there's no bare metal showing over winter. The truck's paint will come off with some Farcela G3 or something. Cut back as many of the scrapes with something like that or maybe a very gentle soapy wet fine grit sandpaper? You mentioned you had Kurust but it shouldn't need Kurust unless it's going quite rusty already. If the paint's broken in places cover it with something. Zinc primer maybe. If it's just small bits spray it in the aerosol cap and put it on with a small brush. You could probably get body colour and touch it in if it's not too bad. I'd budget for panel beating and paint in the spring, maybe getting some other bits of bodywork tidied at the same time it's with a pro. 

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/1845840836 This is the best MX-5 book. It's really well written compared to a similar Haynes manual.

I don't mind your wheels. What steel wheels would fit that you know? Golf G60 steels look nice and are the right bolt pattern but are offset for FWD.

1087821130_1b63732d56_b.jpg

My old Eunos Roadster for comparison.

• jackytwoshoes and Laseraligningfoofooflanges like this

- Gerry

#156 ONLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 11,132 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

C'mon Jack, bring her over and we'll have a good look.

• jackytwoshoes likes this

Hyundai i10 auto - white goods shite

Rover 75 1.8 auto - wafty kettle

Ford Galaxy - big red shite with added space

Triumph Toledo - 2.0 for added sleeper shite

Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto - crusty shite

#157 OFFLINE   jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Haven't done much with this at all- sent the company that owned the truck an email which they resoundingly ignored.

I CBA with a claim and all the increased insurance on all my other policies.. so inaction is the only action. It's shame that I have to live with the dents, but hey, at least I'm alive.

Having not used it much I'm about to embark on million miles North around Scotland in it- can't wait to drive on some proper roads with bends.

Preparation for the trip has amounted to trying to polish the rear screen with Brasso, which kind of worked, and topping up the oil. I also briefly considered trying to get rid of the smell of dog, but didn’t quite get it together.
  • loserone, purplebargeken, Jerzy Woking and 2 others like this

#158 OFFLINE   jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Well this completed over a thousand miles with no fuss, other than the rear screen seemingly cracking all by itself one particularly cold night, promptly repaired by clear gorilla tape. 

I got the opportunity to hoon like a right bastard at certain points, and can further confirm that I miss my X1/9. 

Screen_Shot_2018_01_07_at_12_38_27.png

IMG_0024.jpg

• Fat_Pirate, barrett, The Moog and 10 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users