Mk1 MX5: Fresh pics. £700 or swopz

Fabergé Greggs

I have a luxury* leather interior from my v-spec that I stripped out - tan leather seats, tan carpet, tan seatbelts - yours for £notverymuch as it is clogging up my attic space

Pics here

http://autoshite.com/topic/25192-stroppy-mazda-collectioning/

I have a seat with a hole in it already. :shock:

Righty ho, let's have a look at what we've got. It needs a clean, and it's a questionable shade of purple. I think I'd also like it about 300% more if it was on steels instead of these questionable "Merlot"alloys. 

IMG_7673.jpg

IMG_7674.jpg

That flag has to go. 

IMG_7676.jpg

Mildly crusty passenger sill. 

IMG_7675.jpg

This picture tells two stories- a sad one about the crusty drivers side sill, and a cheerier story about the excellent set of Pirelli P1's that it wears. 

IMG_7679.jpg

Some bleb on the drivers arch. Hopefully this will just go away if I don't think about it. 

IMG_7677.jpg

Inside. Special edition means two rings of "wood" around the vents and and leather steering wheel of questionable style. It feels a hell of a lot nicer to hold that it is to look at. 

IMG_7680.jpg

First impressions? 

The fuel gauge appears to be broken, but stuck on full. Some quick googling reveals that they have a "non return gauge" which means it reads even when the ignition is off, and it has a full tank of fuel. This clearly an immediate win aside from the sad absence of a pez station shot. It's also got one hell of a misty rear window, but there must be some way to sort this..

So once insured today, I took it out for a blast. It's hard for me not to compare it to my X1/9 which I did 40,000 miles on come rain or shine, and certainly compared to that it's pretty remarkable how well engineered all the contact points feel. It's got a pretty spot on handling/ride balance, although perhaps less refined that I was expecting over imperfections such as motorway joints etc. The steering is definitely really nicely weighted and communicative, and combined with the sorted chassis makes it feel super fun, although I have to say initial impression is that it ultimately lack's the X1/9s razor sharp tip toe feeling steering and balance that I know so well. It's great, but lacking that italian fizz that makes an X1/9 so engaging (and bloody tiring sometimes..). This is all within traction limits- tail out action has yet to have been achieved. 

The engine is pretty nice, surprisingly torquey and tractable from low revs, with a pleasant sharpening of note and performance from around 4500rpm. It feels sort of quick, though I definitely wouldn't object if it was faster. Oddly it's one of those cars that feels like you're doing 100mph on the motorway when you're doing 80.

The gearbox feels a little bit notchier than I was expecting given all the praise heaped on them, maybe a fluid change is due.The pedals are pretty nicely weighted, and before too long I was pulling off some reasonable heel/toe action, but we'll have to wait and see what happens when maximum hoon is engaged down some Scottish B roads. Time for a visit to see the family North of the border!

Looking good, the first ever mx5 I drove was a merlot, I scared the crap out of the girlfriend on a roundabout when I took it for a test drive (not on purpose but she didn't need to know that) I didn't buy it as the salesman was a dick and wouldn't budge a penny on price.

The rubber gearshift gaiters are more than likely bolloxed and the turret oil escaped (google "hakuna miata oil tutorial")- a quick and easy fix (you might as well stick mx5parts.com in your favourites list now) for the rear window, try renovo polish.

Your alloys are original to the car so may be worth something to someone, if it's steelies you fancy, genuine mx5 ones only came in 14" but 15" bini steelies fit and look pretty good, gives you a better choice of tyres too.

29 August 2018

Advisory notice item(s)

vehicle has covers fitted unable to see certain testable items

front brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3)

rear brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3)

Handbrake Has Travel

Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Oil leak ()

Exhaust System is Corroded

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)

Offside Rear Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)

Nearside Rear Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)

Offside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)

Nearside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)

Brake Pipe Are Corroded

Front Suspension Are Corroded

Offside Front Front suspension ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Front suspension ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Offside Front Upper Front suspension ball joint dust cover damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Upper Front suspension ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Rear Suspension Are Corroded

Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Brake hose slightly deteriorated Rear Both Side (3.6.B.4d)

Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)

This MoT tester is Britain's most desperately in need of a blowjob man, outneeding Britain's

second most desperately in need of a blowjob man by not a narrow margin.

£300? Bargain!

I get the impression that if there was the potential to issue fails along the lines of the following, he’d have bloody issued them:

* Vehicle has been used.

* Vehicle has marks on the paintwork.

* Vehicle is not merlot* due to no part originating from France.

I bet he looks like this...

At least we all now know never to visit Formula 1 autocentre at Woodford Green.

post-4721-0-24008800-1508769094_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Took this out for the first time annddddd.... Crashed it.

Well, someone crashed into me.

On the motorway two lorries collided in the middle lane about a mile ahead so the traffic slowed, I was crawling along at about 25 mph in the fast lane, with traffic needing to merge to avoid the accident.

A big arctic just didn’t see me and merged from

the middle lane right into my side. It was left hand drive so I must have been in a blind spot.

The driver didn’t speak English but was massively helpful. I checked with a policeman that arrived on the scene and apparently I’ve got all the details that I need. It was a polish registered truck.

So.... I suppose I stick a claim in. I’m worried that it’ll get written off and I’ll have to go through the whole cat C thing to get it back on the road..

post-17997-0-36259700-1510855374_thumb.jpeg

I doubt it'll ever leave your street, insurers will simply ring you up and agree a value so start finding adverts for similarly immaculate and cherished examples of such a rare model to justify the high price you want to settle   :-D  and for fucks sake don't mention you paid what you did !

Grand cash at least in yer hand and you keep the car 

I doubt it'll ever leave your street, insurers will simply ring you up and agree a value so start finding adverts for similarly immaculate and cherished examples of such a rare model to justify the high price you want to settle   :-D  and for fucks sake don't mention you paid what you did !

Grand cash at least in yer hand and you keep the car 

Lets get you rolling 

£1200  https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-mx5-mk1-merlot-/1274859136

£3995 http://www.classiccarshq.co.uk/ads/for-sale-1996-mazda-mx5-merlot-limited-edition/

Get the cash back and continue driving. I call those dents, lane change assisters.

Wrong lane? Indicate and start pulling over slowly. As it looks like you've hit stuff before and if the car in the next lane is newish, they won't want to risk a ding.

That was one of the reasons I left the passenger side wing of my green zx fucked for so long, didn't get any bother! People didn't creep forward so much at junctions, didn't wander into my lane on roundabouts etc... Cosmetic damage is recommended!