Mk1 MX5: Fresh pics. £700 or swopz

Fabergé Greggs

Ah yes! Too many threads at the moment. Problem is, getting sills sorted out properly, which is really what you want, can be pretty expensive. As in £400-500 per side before paint.

I had a merlot about 6-7 years ago , sills were rotten but only the outer bits below the rear wing , got a talented guy at work to cut them out with an air buzzy thing then he bent some sheet metal to the right shape slid it under then welded it in , quick flick of filler and a rattle can and it was done

Took about 3 hours , it's all a £700 car needs , it's never going to be valuable classic so if they're bad enough to need more than that walk away.

A guy I know bought a good one for £450 , this time of year it's a buyers market

Merlot makes it a uk car, not an import, 20 British winters will have taken their toll - check it carefully. As a special edition, it is fairly basic - metallic paint, leather seats, Momo steeering wheel, different alloys. No lsd, keep fit windows, mirrors, aerial, no aircon or headrest speakers. Essentially, less to recoup your losses if it does end up being a breaker. I'd say around £500 is nearer the mark.

Welding up the sills (properly) only makes sense if it is a keeper, if you are looking for a keeper you might want to choose a better starting point.

Having said that, get a proper drive in it and discover just how much fun these little cars are :)

Hang on, where are all these MOT'd MX5's for 400-500? I can't see any!

In general, the days of running/driving/ticketed MX5's (esp. Mk1's) in this price range are not necessarily over but getting very short, you might get lucky if you look hard for long enough but I wouldn't hold your breath, not down here anyway. 

The category that requires some work (servicing, £1-200 of parts max, bit of spannering etc.) but no major expense (ie:welding, clutch etc) in the near future are now four figures and that includes Mk2's which were pretty unloved for a while. 

As others have said, £700 is a bit steep for basically a project. £500 is probably nearer the mark IMO. 

Throw the rusty bits away, keep the fun bits and make them more fun.

exocet4.jpg

That one is from an American company and is called the Exomotive Exocet but I'm sure something similar can be sourced in Europe. Not the cheapest or a particularly practical way of doing things but it'd be a good use of one that is too far gone (especially if you turbo it  :-D).

Oooohhh I like that...............I feel another project may happen.

Can I have the interior if you ever break it for my poverty spec Monza.

I have a luxury* leather interior from my v-spec that I stripped out - tan leather seats, tan carpet, tan seatbelts - yours for £notverymuch as it is clogging up my attic space

Pics here

http://autoshite.com/topic/25192-stroppy-mazda-collectioning/

Now bought for £300, practical* WBOD and the most modern car I've ever owned.

Haven't driven it yet due to insurance issues- Peter James are closed for the weekend, so I'd obtained a decent temporary quote, which at the point of checkout said "service not available"... grrrr

Anyway, here's a pic.

post-17997-0-24906900-1508614724_thumb.jpg

I've hardly driven it and I'm already googling super/turbo charging kits..

Don't rule out throttle bodies. I've driven an MX-5 so equipped and it was ruddy hilarious. A proper induction growl and a good power boost. On the road, supercharger is the way to go. On track, turbo for maximum giggles. Worth checking out the Mighty Car Mods vids on MX-5s. A bit of extra bracing goes a long way on these too.

I disagree - I've driven both turbo and supercharged mx5s but have no desire to own either - the fun is in thrashing the nuts off the stock engine and making the most of that wonderful handling. decent tyres and a full alignment make a massive difference, but for now, just enjoy that omgmegabargain :)