Collection fail. Car now home. Aircon compressor seized!!!

sporty-shite

Youre lucky here.. I bought a zafira with only what can be descibed as a 'tinkling' from the aircon pulley. Never put it down to much until one day it wouldnt turn over. Diesel 150ps 1.9 cdti. Wouldnt turn, hot wires, hot battery, loads of odd signs.

Starter motor could have been bad, who knew. In the end i pulled the aux belt, tried it and it turned over fine. Seized aircon pulley was actually so seized it was stopping the entirely massive starter and huge diesel battery from turning the engine over.

Pretty impressive tbh

I'm pretty sure this is what happened with this car. When we came back to it, it wouldn't turn over, but I just presumed the battery was knackered, as we had to boost it to start when we collected it. Connected jump leads, and it clicked a couple of times, then fired, but without belt.

At least I know the starter is strong!!

It does not. The clutch merely switches it on or off. All A/C compressors have it, regardless what the internals of the compressor are like.

Ok, sorry you are right. I miss read the Saab Workshop manual - which describes this engine as its shared with Saabs. Incidentally the Saab workshop manual has detailed description sections which are really excellent in describing how modern automotive systems work - not just in a basic level but also detailed technical level. Anyway the petrol engine on the Saab (which is not used on the Alfas). Anyway on the Saab engined vehicles, the compressor doesn't kick in or out with the a/c clutch. When A/C is demanded, it stays permanently on, rather than cycling the clutch to maintain pressure.

I read these "clutch-less" compressors as no clutch. Where as they don't use a clutch to control themselves but still have one to physically enable or disable the system.

EDIT: Scratch that, clutch-less variable deplacement compressors do exist. Used on Lexus, VAG and others - made by Denso, Valeo, Sanken, et al.

Ok, sorry you are right. I miss read the Saab Workshop manual - which describes this engine as its shared with Saabs. Incidentally the Saab workshop manual has detailed description sections which are really excellent in describing how modern automotive systems work - not just in a basic level but also detailed technical level. Anyway the petrol engine on the Saab (which is not used on the Alfas). Anyway on the Saab engined vehicles, the compressor doesn't kick in or out with the a/c clutch. When A/C is demanded, it stays permanently on, rather than cycling the clutch to maintain pressure.

I read these "clutch-less" compressors as no clutch. Where as they don't use a clutch to control themselves but still have one to physically enable or disable the system.

EDIT: Scratch that, clutch-less variable deplacement compressors do exist. Used on Lexus, VAG and others - made by Denso, Valeo, Sanken, et al.

Notice the lack of clutch:

post-20071-0-88873600-1507837896_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-05753100-1507837903_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-65859200-1507837928_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-78712700-1507837932_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-SEAT-ALTEA-1-6-PETROL-A-C-AIR-CON-COMPRESSOR-PUMP-1K0820803N-/122739287202

According to this you need a 6PK 1038mm belt for 1.9 JTD non-aircon, should be about £15.

https://www.rexbo.eu/optibelt/v-ribbed-belts-6pk1038?c=100431&at=11766

Probably easier to replace the compressor though, as you have the right belt etc already.

Lovely looking things these, well played despite all the arseache.

According to this you need a 6PK 1038mm belt for 1.9 JTD non-aircon, should be about £15.

https://www.rexbo.eu/optibelt/v-ribbed-belts-6pk1038?c=100431&at=11766

Probably easier to replace the compressor though, as you have the right belt etc already.

Lovely looking things these, well played despite all the arseache.

Euro Car Parts got one for £13.29. Think I'll phone around for a S/H compressor tomorrow, and if I can't get one, just bung a short belt on for the time being.

• 3 months later...

I'm not getting on at all. Mrs S drove it home, and promptly claimed it from me!!

It's doing really well (touch wood). Put a short belt on to bypass the aircon compressor, and had a hose made up to bypass the leaky oil cooler. Only other thing it needed was a drivers electric window switch, which are a common fail, therefore second hand ones are £££.

Mrs S likes it, but I think she'd prefer another five door car. She floated the idea of another 147 the other day, so I may be shopping soon!!!