Collection fail. Car now home. Aircon compressor seized!!!

sporty-shite

I've ordered the bits anyway, and I'll collect them on my way to the car, as Warrington was the only store with both in stock.

Tomorrow morning, I shall investigate the taxation issue, just in case I need to get it recovered.

Thanks everyone for your help.

another option might be towing it home with a 'towing bar'; I had to this a few months ago, as Id lend out the A frame; a mates  02 Opel vivaro had completely expired - TP insured only n no breakdown cover... stuck at the side of the motorway near NAAS here...

two days later, I went up with him n the plan was to hookup/screw in the towing eye attachment n hook it up to my Disco via the bar I bought 8 years or so (more often used as a breaker bar extension these days)... of course when we got up there; no tow'eye attachment to be found anywhere in the van or cab - long story short, I removed the indicator n lashed some chain tight around chassis leg of the van n onto the towing bar n towed it the 80 miles home... not ideal, n I cant advise on the legalities of such where you are  but sometimes you just have do whatever to get the thing home...

another option might be towing it home with a 'towing bar'; I had to this a few months ago, as Id lend out the A frame; a mates  02 Opel vivaro had completely expired - TP insured only n no breakdown cover... stuck at the side of the motorway near NAAS here...

two days later, I went up with him n the plan was to hookup/screw in the towing eye attachment n hook it up to my Disco via the bar I bought 8 years or so (more often used as a breaker bar extension these days)... of course when we got up there; no tow'eye attachment to be found anywhere in the van or cab - long story short, I removed the indicator n lashed some chain tight around chassis leg of the van n onto the towing bar n towed it the 80 miles home... not ideal, n I cant advise on the legalities of such where you are  but sometimes you just have do whatever to get the thing home...

Motorway or more scenic? I've brought a few things from that way over the mountains and never met a soul...

motorway - just before the first exit to naas (nass south- travelling TO Dublin way)- my mate of course told me it expired 'just after the last exit past' portlaoise; the motorway wombles put a load of cones round it (it was left at the side of the road/motorway for 2 days) - towed it home 'the scenic route' - much to the displeasure of my mate as there was quite a bitta backlash for him to contend with, n he said it aged him 10 years LOL

Not any actual help, sorry, but a Grin.  I never expected to find a thread I hadn't instigated, on here of all places, that referred to the places both my parents were born!  (Mother from Stoke, father from Dublin, Naas side/Balbriggan).

As you were.  Good luck Sporty!

Sounds like you're onto it now but a quick Shipley quote would have been ideal in this situation, my fear is always that is great to try and repair at the side of the road but one round bolt etc, something dropped/stripped can cause a whole world of hurt.

I'd say it would be less than a ton/ton and half to get it back to BOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTON, pretty much hassle free then.

Still, if it can be fixed/taxed easily enough then do it.

May the force be with you (not Staffordshire police force either).

Some questions, most of which you've probably already thought of.

1. Did you inform the car park management company of the situation?  Otherwise you'll have an invoice arriving soon.  I've found them to be very very understanding when stranded, having to take an extended stop.
  2. Do you have recovery on your bank account?  We have pointless double cover at the moment, but they'll be able to help if so.
  3. Is it really worth doing it at the side of the road?  One rounded bolt and you'll be even more annoyed.

I'm sorry I'm not much more help than that.  Good luck - I think if it was me I'd have it pulled by a local man.  Advertise on a facebook group or something?  Failing that, Lanky Tim to the rescue.

Thank you for all your suggestions and especially offers of help. After setting g off at 9 this morning, I have finally got it home. I just went to Keele, collected the docs from the car and found a local* PO to tax it. Returned to Keele and got Green Flag to attend. Luckily, they did not need me to go with the car, so I could drive the 306 back.

I just need to remember now, that if it isn't super rare, or ridiculously cheap, don't travel more than about 40 miles.

*may have been about 10 miles, because I took a wrong turn and had a leisurely drive through the Staffordshire countryside.

Right. Finally got to have a look at this today. Wisely* I bought a tensioner and belt in advance, so it would be a quick** and easy*** job.

Got the wheel off, arch liner out, it's all going well. Got a grip of the tensioner, and....... it spun easily and quietly. Got a grip of the idler, and....... it spun easily and quietly. Tried to pull the remains of the belt out, and it was stuck on the aircon compressor, which didn't turn. At all. Because it's seized solid.

Fuck it. Wheel back on, and I'm now off to search for parts. Added to that, the drivers window is now stuck open, an d it's wet through with oil underneath because the oil cooler feeds are leaking. 

All Alfas aren't shit. But this one possibly may be.

Quick piccy for the pervs, though. Forgot to get a pez shot, so this will have to do.

post-3906-0-91587400-1507818069_thumb.jpg

Depends if its a variable vaned compressor. No idea whats on this one, but some compressors run all the time, but vary the amount of compression - rather than binary on/off of old.

Could you not put a shorter belt on to avoid it? Failing that, a/c compressors tend to go pretty cheap second hand on eBay. Even if its buggered, at least it'd act as a pulley (providing it has a a/c clutch).

Youre lucky here.. I bought a zafira with only what can be descibed as a 'tinkling' from the aircon pulley. Never put it down to much until one day it wouldnt turn over. Diesel 150ps 1.9 cdti. Wouldnt turn, hot wires, hot battery, loads of odd signs.

Starter motor could have been bad, who knew. In the end i pulled the aux belt, tried it and it turned over fine. Seized aircon pulley was actually so seized it was stopping the entirely massive starter and huge diesel battery from turning the engine over.

Pretty impressive tbh