The Rover 400 WBOD Now with dent free doors and brakes

Vince70

I was quite lucky as I had some plastic levers which opened the door up enough without damaging any paint etc.

The only damage was the outer door rubber but I imagine it will be only about fiver and a 10 minute job to fit.

But I've got to tell myself do not spend money on this car giving it a repaint etc which will be a first.

I'm now sitting in a Rover courtesy of my next door neighbour we used the junkman method and used what looked like welding wire.

I've got to admit I'm very impressed with the old car as its drives spot on and now have a car again that I don't mind getting a few battle scars on the way.

I'm glad no one bought it when I put it up on the for sale thread the other week. image.jpeg

I just need the stereo code next so any ideas on how I find out what the code is plus I now need a new door seal lol. image.jpeg

I was able to find out the code for the radio of my old 25 by phoning up the local ex-Rover dealership and asking them. They had it for me in less than 30 seconds.

Unfortunately this only works if it is the original one, but is still worth a shot anyway.

I've got to resist the urge of turning it back to mint condition as this will save a repaint on a couple of scratched doors.post-9282-0-98656900-1507633662_thumb.jpeg

post-9282-0-00950100-1507633693_thumb.pngpost-9282-0-45211600-1507633735_thumb.png

But I did buy some stereo keys today and the D series takes 10/40 oil so is cheap as chips to service it could end up a slippery slope.

I've got to tell myself don't spend a penny on it and just check the oil and coolant and fill the washer bottle from time to time.

You could also break the rear quarter light. Less mess then.

Failing all that break the glass. Take you half hour to swap it. Use one of those glass hammers save getting it everywhere.

If anyone does take the 'put the window in' route, it's a good idea to cover the glass with gaffer tape or parcel tape or whatever; that way the glass doesn't go everywhere.

I've got to resist the urge of turning it back to mint condition as this will save a repaint on a couple of scratched doors.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.png

But I did buy some stereo keys today and the D series takes 10/40 oil so is cheap as chips to service it could end up a slippery slope.

I've got to tell myself don't spend a penny on it and just check the oil and coolant and fill the washer bottle from time to time.

£30 the pair, sorted.

I might have to buy them now as apparently my girlfriends eldest wants the car when I've finished with it so she wants it as a keeper rather than the sickly green Polo.

And being it's a decent old Ronda it should have a few years of life in it.

The only fault I've found so far is the rear brakes are sticking but it's done no mileage in the last 3 years so hopefully once it starts getting some use they should free off.

And dare I say it but I had the equivalent BMW 316 auto compact a few years ago which was a real nice example and the old Ronda seems to be a better drive for the average joe and more economical with more legroom and practicality and a far more plush interior and as well screwed together I'm amazed these didn't sell by the shed load when new.

Bloody hell Im now getting attached to the old thing, next I will be selling my BMWs and looking for some K series action, I already have an old can of K seal gathering dust at the back of the garage.

Today the stereo keys arrived from the eBay seller and I was expecting the worst in that I would have to take the original radio out and put something else in its place or phone around and pay for a code but it seems the Philips codes are hard to come by.

But to my surprise I found it had the 4 digit code written on the stereo and now I have a nice working radio and can use an old fm transmitter which I haven't used in about 8 years on my ancient IPod in the car.

The stereo is like new and looks like it's never been used.post-9282-0-79697200-1507824180_thumb.jpeg

Why do my images keep coming out upside down.

I’ve not had any luck with the doors as the owner is now not accepting offers on the doors and wants £20 each for them plus I’ve got to find a big hatchback or estate car to collect them.

But I did manage to use the 55% GSF code today though and for £24 I got my filters oil and rear pads as I’ve a lazy Caliper which hopefully should free out.

I've managed to buy the doors for the asking price so I'm off to Brighton to pick them up on Friday evening, I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive from GSF then I will get cracking on with the car and hopefully have it sorted by November 1st.

I have a sticking calliper on the rear offside which was picked up on the MOT hence the rear pads..

I just wondered could someone give me some advice on freeing it up as I don't want to keep throwing money on a WBOD.

I was just going to go for a hammer and the WD40 route.

D series HHR? I had no idea you could get those. Thought they dropped the D with the R8 when they worked out how to put a CVT on the K series.

Nope. D-Series proper auto was indeed standard HHR fare. Worked with a chap who was convinced that his new Rover 400 saloon had a Honda engine. "The rev counter goes up to 6000rpm, so my mechanic said it's definitely Honda." I told him he was wrong, and that only the auto had the Honda engine. About a week later, Simon Mayo happened.

Seeing that this one won't be going Simon Mayo on me (hopefully) I thought what better thing to do than and block the airflow to the radiator on my winter chod.

I had an old repro AA badge which had been sitting about in the shed since about the mid 90s which was bought to stick on my old Anglia but I never managed to get get the time to fit it before I sold it, so I thought it would be fitting to fit it to a Japanese rover.post-9282-0-09039900-1508241741_thumb.jpeg

I've already been told that for our £5 secret Santa this year I'm getting a trilby and a walking stick plus a tartan rug for the motor.

No K series in this Bexhill Babe magnet as it says Japanese stuff under the bonnet and it says 16valve on the Cam cover and the gearbox is on the drivers side.

post-9282-0-91031200-1508242443_thumb.jpgpost-9282-0-55736200-1508242496_thumb.jpg

So I can now pretend I have Vtec so it must be the fastest car on the planet.

I also found the cars service history today and I think it might be just overdue a cam belt.

I was thinking of phoning up the old couple to find out if it's been done but I don't really want to hassle them.post-9282-0-50733000-1508243052_thumb.jpg

I've never done a belt before is it hard to do on one of these.

But I've bought the HBOL for a couple of quid off eBay..

post-9282-0-64085200-1508249506_thumb.png

The rover one doesn't cover the Ronda

Easy enough cambelt but the marks can be a bit confusing as they used the same pulleys / casting for a few different engine codes . Best way is to tip ex it all before you start and put it back as it was . Also remember the engine runs anti clockwise .

Oh and the bottom pulley bolt will be silly tight and often need a 3/4 impact gun to loosen .

I think this one is going to be a money pit as after cleaning the caliper up and putting it back together I noticed that the pedal sometimes drops to the floor when braking so the system isn't holding pressure and the only thing I've touched is the caliper and pads on the OSR.

Would it be possible that I could of damaged the master cylinder as when I first started trying to free it up and wind it back in I forgot to take the lid off the master cylinder.

To be honest I should of done what junkman suggested and binned the lot I guess but at the time I thought it would be a good idea to try and save a bit so I guess it's going to have to go to the garage before I start using it.

Anyone know of a good place online for a new caliper.