Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
For Sale

Slightly tatty red bling-o. Now for breaking if any other Bling-lickers want anything.

For Sale

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 24,911 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Apart from ruining my Rover 600, I can't complain about the AA. I have breakdown cover via my insurance but it always seems to be AA.

RAC ended up leaving me at the side of the A449 dual carriageway for five hours last summer. Maybe that was my fault for breaking down in a posh car that wasn't mine.

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1973 AC Model 70

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#32 ONLINE   lesapandre

lesapandre

• Full Members
  • 520 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationParis Tokyo Deptford

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

The AA and RAC are both owned by private equity groups after buy - outs. They join BHS, Boots, WH Smith, Debenhams and quite a few more in having the maximum juice squeezed out of them by the ' private wealth funds. It's useful to check who owns a business you give your money to and the kind of service they provide. I expect their staff are not happy bunnies either.

• chaseracer, catsinthewelder, Joey spud and 4 others like this

#33 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 5,880 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Twice I've had to wait >3hrs for RAC to recover me. Once was by the side of the motorway in the peeing rain. I'll never use them again.

I'm currently paying for the Nationwide Plus account and its services. Took 45 minutes to come out to the MGB and they used a private contractor. Going by the text message I received on the status, I think Nationwide are using LV to provide the service.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#34 ONLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 3,244 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

It all depends on the state of the patrols in the area when you break down, I dont think there is all that big a difference in skills and training between RAC and AA patrols....you are just as likely with either to get someone who likes old cars and is willing to spend 45 minutes fucking about with points and condensors or to get some disinterested grump who just glances at it says "fuck that" and calls a flatbed or some fresh out of college kid who cant find the OBD port on your 1983 Fiat Panda.

Waiting times depend on load in the area at the time.

I cant complain about the RAC....when the Ranger shat out during collection I admittedly had a long wait on the hard shoulder, but it was the first day of school holidays and apparently the entire road network was chaos....I definitely got my moneys worth with a multi-truck relay from fuck-knows-where up to Aberdeen through the night.

• Lacquer Peel and jollyfkr2 like this

#35 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 5,114 posts
  • 26 thanks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Twice I've had to wait >3hrs for RAC to recover me. Once was by the side of the motorway in the peeing rain. I'll never use them again.

I'm currently paying for the Nationwide Plus account and its services. Took 45 minutes to come out to the MGB and they used a private contractor. Going by the text message I received on the status, I think Nationwide are using LV to provide the service.

Private contractors can take hours too fyi
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

#36 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

Given that this evening I have already started nicking bits off this car to fix the replacement Bling-o, I think this one's days are numbered.  Despite having 7 months' ticket on it, I doubt anyone is going to give me more than bridge money for a tatty Berlingo with an utterly fubar clutch, so I may as well break it for bits, both for our new one, and if anyone wants anything, and then bridge whatever remains thereafter.

The engine is a good DW10 HDi90 engine.  Despite 189k miles on it, it starts first twist of the key (even with a slightly-tired battery and questionable glowplugs) and runs really rather well.  Decent power and economy.  Shiters price, £50.

Everything else is for beer tokens.  I much prefer to see stuff re-used rather than wasted, so I would only want a token amount for anything.  All of which will likely be re-invested in roffles.

#37 OFFLINE   SherpaMog

SherpaMog

• Full Members
  • 208 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

I had a great experience with that aa crowd. Had a van with slamlocks,they were told don't leave the keys in the van, one guy went over his tacho. Change to another truck and and driver, warned about slamlocks, don't leave the key in the van. Locked the van on first truck, Keys left in the fucking van.
They called the aa. After an hour of fucking about with airbags and shite lock picking I lost rag and bent drivers door out enough to open the cunt.

#38 OFFLINE   ruffgeezer

ruffgeezer

• Full Members
  • 3,159 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSpilsby, Lincs

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

Where abouts are you Talbot?

1973 Datsun 1200 Station Wagon
2002 V70 D5; mega. mega miles. Mega broken.
1995 AX VTS
2007 Berlingo (Mrs Ruff's)
***This space available for more Chod!***<p>autoshite2.jpg
Autoshite Dealership Stickers £1.75 including postage, Pm me for info!

#39 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:08 AM

I am RH20, which is Pulborough in west sussex. However, I am due to be driving the length of the country to go to Edinburgh week-after-next, so as long as anyone isn't too far from my intended route, I could deliver bits on the way.

#40 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 8,957 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

Is it a phase 1 Berlingo?

#41 ONLINE   95 quid Peugeot

95 quid Peugeot

• Full Members
  • 498 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSuffuck

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

The AA and RAC are both owned by private equity groups after buy - outs. They join BHS, Boots, WH Smith, Debenhams and quite a few more in having the maximum juice squeezed out of them by the ' private wealth funds. It's useful to check who owns a business you give your money to and the kind of service they provide. I expect their staff are not happy bunnies either.

My mates sons is a RAC breakdown bloke st the moment. It's always been his dream job. He's as handy as they come for fixing things, nothing fazes him. Old chod or decent Stuff.
He's been with them just over 18 months and had just put his notice in and going back to a local independent.
Reason. Cost cutting. No technicians on call and having to explain daily why he's taken 2 hrs to get to someone when he's scheduled in for a job miles away first or they're not first in his queue

CHOD

The Peugeot 406 of much cheapness. 190k miles  Deceased, twatted into Central Reservation of A1 Southbound, RIP 10/12/16

The Gaylander TD4 of much gayness. 172k miles 180k miles Sold to nice Romanian man to take to Eastern Europe.

The Peugeot 407SW Mrs 95 quids son # 2 hack 174k miles 182K Miles 190k Miles

The BMW Z4 in the delightful bell end purple colour.      :angry-smiley-007:

The Rover 75 of much comfyness 126k miles, new purchase, very Count Arthur Strong Sold 11.6/17 (Trilby moved to Sterling post sale)

The Skoda Labia TDI of son#1 120k miles 138k Miles 143k miles

The Clitroen ZX of much gifferness reliably earning me .45p/mile work use    95 quid mansions pool car

The Sterling of much grey leather and low miles Sold

The Team Sven Mobiles V70 and XC70  why oh why ?

NICE SHITE (Now much reduced in Number)

Triumph TR7

Renault Dauphine

BMW Z4  Ordered by Mrs 95 Quid to move her car into this section. :-D and its still bell end purple.

Bristol 603E

#42 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

Is it a phase 1 Berlingo?

No, it's a 2004 M59 Berlingo.  What bits were you hoping for?

#43 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

No technicians on call and having to explain daily why he's taken 2 hrs to get to someone when he's scheduled in for a job miles away first or they're not first in his queue

The operator I spoke to initially when I called up to cancell the call and then bend someones ear sounded remarkably like she agreed with my complaint, but had heard it all before many many times and it was no surprise to her.  I think that's why she also put me on to "customer care" as soon as she could as she knew exactly what I was going to say, and knew she couldn't help me.

#44 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 8,957 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

No, it's a 2004 M59 Berlingo. What bits were you hoping for?

Headlight trim but a pair of front seats if they aren't fucked would be good.

#45 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

Front seats are in reasonably good condition. You can have them if I can work out a way to get them to you.

#46 OFFLINE   omegod

omegod

• Full Members
  • 1,507 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

RAC got me out the shit last week and managed to find a tiny broken wire from the ECU that was blowing the ECU fuse, in his own words I was a jammy bastard that he'd spotted it. 

Berlingo wise a mate has a phase 1 non turbo van that ran and drive fine but spat all it's oil out from somewhere and has been parked since, he's planning on bridging it, anything worth pinching ? any likely easy cause of oil loss ?

#47 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 529 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:41 AM

Still maintain RAC membership as an absolute last resort, but I really don't trust them.

Was left stranded a number of years ago on the A27 just outside Lewes after they refused to attend. The reason given was that I couldn't provide them with the exact postcode for the spot I had FTP'd (this was pre-smartphone days, in fact I didn't even have a mobile at the time and had to trot a mile or two to a payphone beside a closed-down Little Chef). Giving directions, distances and landmarks to describe my precise location was not, apparently, good enough for them. I sent off a strongly worded complaint to customer services, but never even received an acknowledgement.

They also mis-sold me European Breakdown Cover for a 26 year old Vauxhall - I'd phoned to see whether they would even cover a car that old, and the customer services bod assured me they would - kept repeating "with RAC you're the member, not the car - so you're covered". Of course, like a fool I took him at his word and drove the car down to the French Mediterranean coast. The starter solenoid went pop on the second day, and RAC Europe refused to attend - because the car was over ten years old. Had to bridge the contacts with a 13mm spanner for every start, all the way home.

AA are no better, mind - Mrs DC was a member through Club Toyota for over a decade, and the blurb always emphasised how she could enjoy perfect peace of mind as she was 100% covered even as a passenger in anyone else's car that broke down. The one and only time she ever needed to call them (when my newly acquired Polo broke its drivebelt literally five minutes after leaving the seller's house, some 50 miles from home) they refused to come out because they'd withdrawn this passenger cover clause earlier that year - only her Yaris was covered now. The renewal forms had made absolutely no mention of this, and this fairly major change to T&Cs was buried in the miniscule small print.

From the comments above, breakdown organisations that use local garages for recovery seem to have a better rep - but last time I looked into that, very few of them operated in Northern Ireland.

Bollocks to the lot of them.

#48 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,021 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Headlight trim but a pair of front seats if they aren't fucked would be good.

I'm pretty sure van and MS seats are different.

The van passenger seat has a fixed base that tilts all the way forwards to store stuff underneath, the multispace one is a tilt'n'slide effort same as the driver's side. 

They probably have the same mounting holes and swap over, but do check just in case.

• Lacquer Peel likes this

2004 Citroen C8 Exclusive HDi

Assorted 2 wheel shite, motor and pedal powered

#49 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I'm pretty sure van and MS seats are different.

correctamundo.  The driver's seat is all-but identical but the passenger one has a very different mechanism.  That said, if you have a bulkhead in you Blingo van, a Multispace seat makes sense.

#50 OFFLINE   ruffgeezer

ruffgeezer

• Full Members
  • 3,159 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSpilsby, Lincs

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

I'm in Lincolnshire working about 20mins from Lincoln. I could do with the rh modu top rear bin door, the trim that holds the wanky basket thing in, a pair of front legs if the springs are good. I think that's it?

1995 AX VTS

#51 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

RH rear modutop door I think has a busted hinge.  It closes, but it's out of line.  I keep forgetting to see what's wrong with it.  I'll have a look, you can have it.

What is the "wanky basket thing"?  Completely lost on that one!

The front mcpherson struts.. yes, you are welcome to them, but I won't be able to bring them on this journey, as I have to get rid of the Merc that is on my flatbed trailer during the journey, and then put the Berlingo on it once I am back home before I make it immobile.

That said.. I wonder if I've a couple of bits of timber I could put in place of the struts to keep it rolling for the moment.  Hmmmmmmm.

#52 OFFLINE   ruffgeezer

ruffgeezer

• Full Members
  • 3,159 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationSpilsby, Lincs

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Ours should have the shopping basket mounted in the boot but the trim on the rh side is fucked.

1995 AX VTS

#53 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

That you can certainly have. Ours has the bracket but no basket, and the replacement car is a forte, not a desire, so not equipped with it. I nearly took the bracket out and binned it.

#54 OFFLINE   chaseracer

chaseracer

Autoshite HR & Refereeing Solutions Ltd.

• Staff
  • 10,333 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Could I have the LH modutop door please?  Mine currently has a temporary* repair involving a brass hinge...

2009 Cannondale Quick CX - pushy
2003 Citroen Berlingo 2.0HDi - daily
1995 Peugeot 205 Inca 1.7D - shiny (relatively...) 
1982 Citroen Dyane 6 - winter rebuildy

AS Midland Massiv - in chod we rust...

#55 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

• Full Members
  • 467 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Could I have the LH modutop door please?  Mine currently has a temporary* repair involving a brass hinge...

Yes.  PM me your address and I'll post it.  That one is definitely in OK condition.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: For Sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users