Slightly tatty red bling-o. Now for breaking if any other Bling-lickers want anything.

Talbot

Given that there has been a little bit of interest on here, and there are a few Berlingo-lickers around, it's worth an advert:

2004 NI registration model WCZ5215 if anyone wants to look it up. (actually a NI car, not a personal plate) 2.0HDi 90 with Modutop roof, in red.  186k miles.  No history.  We've owned it for 3 years and it's been utterly reliable in that time.  Has been my wifes car and kiddie taxi for that time.  Has 11 months MOT,  Due 28th August 2018.

Dents, scratches and scrapes on the bodywork, and a fair number of areas where the laquer has split and is coming away.  Interior cleans up well.  Driver's seat is not suffering from the ususal droop on the bolster.  One roof Modutop door has broken hinges (very common).  The passenger-side rear sliding door has an issue with one of the track-runner bearings, meaning it doesn't slide very well.  A replacement roller would fix it.

Engine runs well, gives good economy and is quite sprightly.  Clutch is a little on the tired side and will slip if (heavily) provoked: it's only if you're lead-footed with a gearchange and give it loads of revs before bringing the clutch up and continue to floor it.   Once a gear is engaged it does not slip at all (even full beans up a hill).  It has been like this for the whole time we've owned it and has not got noticeably worse.  You don't even have to be especially careful with it, just don't side-step the clutch at 4000rpm and it's not an issue!

Gearbox is smooth and quiet with the exception of 3rd gear synchro, which is also tired.  Going up the box you just have to give it a bit of time and not rush the gearchange.  Going down the box you can do the same, or a double-declutch allows a quicker change.  Only other mechanical issue is a knocking drop-link, which was advised on an MOT 2 years ago, but not this year... I really should have fixed it, but haven't.

4 fairly good tyres.  Everything works.  Modutop roof is very useful with pockets and trays everywhere, including the overhead bin in the boot, which is brilliantly useful. We've just been on holiday in this car with 5-up, a boot ram-packed full of baggage and a camping trailer on tow (Yes, has a towbar and single 7-pin black socket electrics) and it performed faultlessly, even giving around 50mpg.  It's been an excellent car, but my OH wanted a webasto-roof model, so when one popped up and I bought it, this one is very shortly going to be redundant.

These (facelift 2.0HDI models) seem to make between £500 for a rough one with shortish MOT to £800-£1000 for a tidy one with long MOT.  Given the issues this has, and to another Autoshiter, I would take just below that range.  £450 would drive it away, and I might possibly be persuaded to haggle a little, depends how quickly I get it's replacement on the road.

If there is enough interest in a Roffle, I would do that too.  Assuming all tickets sell, £7.50 a ticket will do just fine.

Images coming shortly.  I haven't got any on this computer.

• 2 months later...

Well, there's not a lot of point trying to sell this for more than scrap, as we had an interesting* development today.  Got a call at about 12:30 while SWMBO was collecting smalls from nursery, saying "the arse has fallen out of the car", so a fairly serious FTP was occuring.  Give her the number for RAC recovery and fingers crossed it's nothing too serious.

45 mins later I get a message to say that it's taken 40 mins on hold to get through to RAC (!) and that they won't be there for another 2 hrs.  Dafuq?  That's not an emergency breakdown service!  By that point they would have been sat at the side of the road for two-and-a-half bloody hours, in 3°c,  Bollocks to that.  So I blat home from work, collect them, and we all sod off to tesco to get the click-and-collect that is now somewhat overdue (which is where SWMBO and smalls were due to be going after nursery). We time it so that there's a chance we might be back to the car for about 15:00, which is when the RAC are due to be at the car.

With shoppings collected, and now back on the way home, SWMBO gets a phone call from RAC to say they are going to be another 45 mins AFTER the expected time, which would be well over three hours after the original breakdown.  Fuckers.  So we swing past the broken-down car, I shove SWMBO in the driver's seat and we drag it the 5-or-so miles home on a 5-tonne ratchet strap.

With everyone inside, I can now investigate the fault.  Clutch pedal feels very awful, and running the engine gives a rather nasty rattle from the bellhousing, which completely dissappears when you move the clutch lever to move the release bearing away from the clutch, and there's now MUCH more available movement to do so.  Brilliant.  So, as far as I can see, the fingers of the clutch pressure plate have worn completely through at the tips, leading to the release bearing pushing through the pressure plate, and a clutch that will now not release at all.  Bollocks.

So I call the RAC back to tell them not to bother coming to do the recovery.  After another 35 mins of being on hold, I can eventually tell them to bugger off.  Good thing I did do my own recovery, as at that point (now 15:45) they have STILL not been out to the breakdown location.  Very apologetic woman puts me through to customer care.  After ANOTHER 25 minutes of being on hold, I get to complain about their shockingly awful service.  This is now two-for-two with the RAC, as the last time we had to call them out (for a failed engine mounting) they sent a van that couldn't carry the number of occupants in the car, and it would have been a 2hr wait for another truck had I not been available to ferry people home.

So  tl:dr..  Car's fucked.  RAC are fucking useless.

Who do I change to for breakdown services?  Someone who I can actually rely on, so that when I'm away with work, people won't be left freezing cold at the side of the road for what could have been 5 hrs (I have no doubt that had the RAC van eventually turned up, he would not have been able to tow it, as again it would have been more passengers than he can cope with, so another 2hr wait for a flatbed recovery truck with a crew cab?)

Looks like I need to get that cheapo Berlingo from a couple of months back actually MOT'd and pressed into service ASAFP.

I joined the RAC once when I ran out of "lives" with the AA (it was a particularly bad year).  The one time I used them they were fucking useless, taking 3 1/2 hours to get to me (I was on the Norwich ring road; the contractor they eventually sent was also based on the Norwich ring road, about 10 minutes away).

Sorry to hear of the problems with the Blingo, Talbot. The RAC's non ability to do the one thing they need to do is unforgivable. See if you can get your money back, even if they offered you free cover next year as compensation it would be pointless going by their track record.

I binned the AA when my oldest started learning to drive and they were stupidly expensive to add her on. Changed to GEM and have home start & recovery for all four of us. They use local contracters who are really good, usually Elva, they even have trucks that would pick up an XM when on it's lowest suspension. Always got through to them really quickly and they phone you back with updates of ETA. The longest we've been kept waiting was when the Moodus cam belt broke which was about 45 minutes.

I'm with AutoAid these days.  I just checked my documentation (renewed last month actually) and it's attached to me as a person (and my husband), and doesn't seem to mention anything about vehicle age that I can see.

I was with the RAC for a couple of years back up north - and the one time I needed them, it took them over five hours to get to us - and I then had to go and get a lift home from my parents anyway as the RAC couldn't find me as the road wasn't in his sat-nav (it was a bloody B-road!) and they couldn't find me as a result.  Had to give them my folk's address, meet them there and guide them to the car.  Which he then clouted with a hammer and left a huge great bloody gouge in the side of the carb body (stuck float).

They then wanted to charge me £150 the following year for a renewal...Sorry, no thanks!

AutoAid so far haven't been called on so I can't comment - though for £40 a year I'm willing to cut them a but more slack than for the rip-off prices the RAC charge.

I don't know who the 6 series is with as it's done through the insurance but both times they came out, they were spot on and using whatever firm was local to the breakdown zone. The second time, the driver I used to work with years before... Chances of that?

I used to get breakdown cover for the other cars but never use it and the premium keeps rising. Figured I just need rope and cable ties to get the disco home and the other BM relies purely on my regular intricate maintenance using high quality materials. Help is always a phone call away though... Money talks. 

AutoAid were fine for me when my Micra disgraced itself. They contract out to local companies so you shouldn't ever be waiting too long.

I think they are the shiters choice for budget recovery.

EDIT: Hmmm 15 year old limit? When did that come in  :?  My Micra was over that when they recovered it late last year. Please can you point me in the direction to that in their terms as I may need to arrange alternative cover :(

Further edit: I can't see that in the policy document anywhere

Yer not wrong -  just checked it again and I'm wrong, thankfully. Sure I read it on here, but senile. Apols for misinformation

I recommend AutoAid. Not used them yet, mind, but business model as per Britannia.

Auto Aid are brill. They were out in about 45 minutes for my Mrs when she broke down, contractor was Advanced Auto recovery who were great. My Mrs was gutted because she thought she would have got a longer skive from work. She had em out again for tyre again good. I had 43 quids worth last year for sure!

Not sure how you are fixed but I have a dw8 Berlingo that'll be on the road and for sale at the end of the month.

That's a very kind offer, but I have got another Berlingo that just* needs MOT and it'll be on the road.  I've been meaning to do it for about 3 months now... might have to get off my arse and do it now!!

All in all the RAC have done us well, to be fair. When the Insignia failed to proceed last week, it took them longer to answer the phone than to get out here. 

Second Third vote for Britannia - they saved me twice with the Skoda.

I now use Auto Aid, but have been reminded of their 15 year old car limitation, so only of use to moderns

Are you sure? Never knew about it and they recovered my 40 year old Holden off the M1 ok?

Edit - ah I see this has been covered already.

vehicle rescue direct - used local gadgee in local village - had to wait an hour but that wasnt a problem

was 38 for bike

only time ive ftp puncture in tread of tyre was 11pm at night at beaconsfield svs

they woulda tried to fix it but couldnt be seen in the tread

so they hoofed me 200 miles home

i was so impressed i bought it for the car too

its been 9 years - keep buying it even tho never needed it since

Clutch pedal feels very awful, and running the engine gives a rather nasty rattle from the bellhousing, which completely dissappears when you move the clutch lever to move the release bearing away from the clutch, and there's now MUCH more available movement to do so.  Brilliant.  So, as far as I can see, the fingers of the clutch pressure plate have worn completely through at the tips, leading to the release bearing pushing through the pressure plate, and a clutch that will now not release at all.

Sorry to hear you've lost at clutch roulette.

I had the diaphragm spring finger tips go on a 106. 70 miles from base, I drove it home clutchless and bought a clutch on the way home. Fitted it on the drive over two days. Three days before getting married.

In retrospect, it was on the cards. It was gradually getting worse and going into gear as the clutch was dragging a tiny bit. Then it'd be okay for a bit, then it would need a bit more pedal. It had around 78k on the clock at that point.

I blame the wife - It was her car so she must have been riding the clutch.