Anyone any experience of body panel adhesive?

danthecapriman

You don't want something too flexable as if it allows too much movement it may lead to the skim of filler cracking, highly filled resins are brittle so it's something to bear in mind.

The most important part of any of it is the prep, spotlessly clean and thoroughly degrease.  Degrease the area, abrade the paint off then degrease again to avoid deep grained grease or oil caused by abrading back through grease.

Interesting stuff. Given adhesives like these are available now, it does make me wonder whether it's actually viable to use them as an alternative when replacing originally spot welder panels. Especially when they're awkward to get to because several other bits of car that weren't there at that stage on the production line are now in the way.

The only immediate worry I guess is as has already been said... it's easier to see when a weld or two is bad, whereas there's really no way to tell how good a bond you have here until it falls to bits...and if three out of four are good you're going to be stuffed because the other three sides won't come off so how do you sort it? I suspect lots of grinding and a replacement replacement panel...

My experience with tigerseal was trying to fit a roof spoiler to a vectra B estate, cleaned area, applied tigerseal as per instructions, clamped, left overnight. In the morning, removed clamps, spoiler promptly hit the deck, picked it up, chucked in the boot, sold car

I'm sure I was the main problem in this procedure, but the only thing it really stuck well to was my hands, man it's a bastard to get off your skin, and the bootlid after the spoiler fell off.

With the adhesive Elddis use, the slightest bit of grease, anything in fact and it won't stick. You have to clean with special cleaner just before laying down the adhesive- just like the special primer windscreen fitters use..

If you stick new skills on a Mini for example then present it for an MOT, how does the tester view it?

Do you have to prove you used proper structural adhesive rather than some 2 pack from Lidl?

If you do it right then they'll think it's welded anyway...

I have never* araldited a patch on a car floor in such a way as to look like a bead of weld & then undersealed it to cover the evidence.

I'm very tempted by this where I have to do the wheel arches on my WBOD Astra.  It is a very difficult job (for me) to weld, and very hard to seal up to stop rusting again.  Regarding strength, the cars going ok now with rotten arches so I can't see glued on repair sections could be any worse, and if done decently, I am sure they'd be better.

Please share your experiences on here, especially choice of glue.  Some of them look quite expensive and need special guns.  

Autoshite product testing in progress!

http://autoshite.com/topic/26653-operation-pig-iron-volvo-740-metal-glue-product-testing-pg11/page-11

I've gone for two small cheaper metal adhesives first off. The patch I need to repair is small so no point spending big money when I only need a tiny amount!

I've mixed both brands and testing them on some scrap steel against each other. I'll use the one that wins, assuming of course that the winner is any good! They might both be shit!

Looking promising so far though.