Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone any experience of body panel adhesive?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 5,810 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:46 AM

The skirts and boot spoiler on my audi are held in place with sikaflex and 3m tape.

The thing with using glue on metal panels is if you get a bad batch - you can tell if your welds are shit.

#32 OFFLINE   Honey Badger

Honey Badger

• Full Members
  • 971 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:57 AM

You don't want something too flexable as if it allows too much movement it may lead to the skim of filler cracking, highly filled resins are brittle so it's something to bear in mind.

The most important part of any of it is the prep, spotlessly clean and thoroughly degrease.  Degrease the area, abrade the paint off then degrease again to avoid deep grained grease or oil caused by abrading back through grease.

• danthecapriman likes this

#33 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 103 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Interesting stuff. Given adhesives like these are available now, it does make me wonder whether it's actually viable to use them as an alternative when replacing originally spot welder panels. Especially when they're awkward to get to because several other bits of car that weren't there at that stage on the production line are now in the way.

The only immediate worry I guess is as has already been said... it's easier to see when a weld or two is bad, whereas there's really no way to tell how good a bond you have here until it falls to bits...and if three out of four are good you're going to be stuffed because the other three sides won't come off so how do you sort it? I suspect lots of grinding and a replacement replacement panel...

Current fleet: 1989 Saab 900i Auto.  1987 Skoda Estelle 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.  1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.  1985 Sinclair C5.

#34 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

Interesting.... $42 million because of glue.

https://jalopnik.com...-glu-1819359410

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

2003 Mercedes Vito camper

#35 OFFLINE   Captain Furious

Captain Furious

• Full Members
  • 911 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

My experience with tigerseal was trying to fit a roof spoiler to a vectra B estate, cleaned area, applied tigerseal as per instructions, clamped, left overnight. In the morning, removed clamps, spoiler promptly hit the deck, picked it up, chucked in the boot, sold car

I'm sure I was the main problem in this procedure, but the only thing it really stuck well to was my hands, man it's a bastard to get off your skin, and the bootlid after the spoiler fell off.

#36 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:28 PM

With the adhesive Elddis use, the slightest bit of grease, anything in fact and it won't stick. You have to clean with special cleaner just before laying down the adhesive- just like the special primer windscreen fitters use..

2001 Polo 1.0
2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza

2003 Mercedes Vito camper

#37 ONLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 5,713 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

I note from the legal proceedings in the Honda case that the dealership was known as Lincoln-Mercury-Aston Martin.  

I still regard THAT as improper bonding.....

• Hooli likes this

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan

#38 ONLINE   5speedracer

5speedracer

• Full Members
  • 386 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

If you stick new skills on a Mini for example then present it for an MOT, how does the tester view it?
Do you have to prove you used proper structural adhesive rather than some 2 pack from Lidl?

#39 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 3,206 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

If you stick new skills on a Mini for example then present it for an MOT, how does the tester view it?

If in doubt, pass and advise?

#40 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,973 posts
  • 48 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

Do you have to prove you used proper structural adhesive rather than some 2 pack from Lidl?

If you do it right then they'll think it's welded anyway...

I have never* araldited a patch on a car floor in such a way as to look like a bead of weld & then undersealed it to cover the evidence.

• danthecapriman likes this

#41 OFFLINE   lisbon_road

lisbon_road

• Full Members
  • 1,169 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

I'm very tempted by this where I have to do the wheel arches on my WBOD Astra.  It is a very difficult job (for me) to weld, and very hard to seal up to stop rusting again.  Regarding strength, the cars going ok now with rotten arches so I can't see glued on repair sections could be any worse, and if done decently, I am sure they'd be better.

Please share your experiences on here, especially choice of glue.  Some of them look quite expensive and need special guns.  

• danthecapriman and Hooli like this

#42 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,601 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Autoshite product testing in progress!

http://autoshite.com...ng-pg11/page-11

I've gone for two small cheaper metal adhesives first off. The patch I need to repair is small so no point spending big money when I only need a tiny amount!
I've mixed both brands and testing them on some scrap steel against each other. I'll use the one that wins, assuming of course that the winner is any good! They might both be shit!

Looking promising so far though.
  • Heidel_Kakao likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users