Dollywobbler's Lexus - £SOLD

dollywobbler

I decided the best thing to do was ignore the cold idle issue and wax it instead. WHAT HAVE I BECOME?

DMHM8WCWsAQrMLj.jpg

Mind you, I only got one third of the car done before sodding midges descended and started to eat me alive. Little bastids. Hopefully I can complete the job tomorrow. I have also removed the last remnants of chinagraph pen from the windows, and even painted the wiper arms. SAD GIT.

I have also discovered that barely any of the electrics work in the offside rear door. The window works, but the speaker and central locking are both kaput. That suggests a wiring issue. I wonder where?

I have also discovered that barely any of the electrics work in the offside rear door. The window works, but the speaker and central locking are both kaput. That suggests a wiring issue. I wonder where?

I got over this by not worrying about it as I never noticed it from the drivers seat...

Glad to see this getting some attention. I googled the idle issue and it seemed to be a thing they do, once the temperature started to rise it dropped down so I treated it as a feature.

I got over this by not worrying about it as I never noticed it from the drivers seat...

But the stereo sound is unbalanced! Meh, I'll just keep listening to the engine then. I do wonder about a little less exhaust...

I can't believe the high idle is how they're meant to behave, even if many of them now do it. Sounds a bit like "yeah, old car brakes are shit aren't they?" Well, no. Not really (depending on car). Just doesn't seem right that you're fighting to keep the thing below 30mph when it's cold.

Oh, I've soaked the one crusty bit in Vactan, so pleasingly, it's now turned a sort of dark-blue/black. Much less noticeable and will hopefully do for winter.

Do any former owners know if the air con is actually working? Struggled to demist the other day, but it hasn't been warm enough to see if the vents are capable of chucking cold out.

It was so-so when I had it over summer 2015. Was cold but not sharply cold as air con should be.

I tended to use the sunroof more as it was a novelty to have a car with one.

The car may mist up a bit because it gets a bit damp. The guy who bought it off me (a friend of Supernaut/17_coffee) replaced the boot seal which solved the massive leak into the spare wheel well, but there is a sun-roof pipe which is split or blocked or something and ends up depositing water into the left-hand side of the boot well. There is a hole that it drains out of immediately but I imagine if left in the right conditions it can make the interior a little damp.

In heavy rain there'll be a constant if relatively light stream of water from the sun-roof to the boot well but it should mostly drain...however, I know it just takes a little bit of water left to get mist action going.

I briefly entertained the idea of blowing air very abruptly up/down the pipe to see if this cleared a blockage causing a leak but it seemed quite fiddly to do and ensuring it drained seemed like an easier solution. I feel like I should apologise for this!

I'll make up for it by posting several photos I took of it during my brief period of infatuation...

post-19970-0-47878400-1508017058_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-44104000-1508017083_thumb.jpg

post-19970-0-78235600-1508017083_thumb.jpg

Also the front wheel was clearly better when I had it!

post-19970-0-47698100-1508017227_thumb.jpg

Had a lovely run out to collect Heidel for Proton purposes. On the way, I did a 0-60mph test for video purposes. I think I also discovered that it does not have a limited slip diff... (hooligan). It was far too enjoyable. I must never do it again.

I am very fond of this car, even if it treats corners in much the same manner as a 1960s American car. It leans a lot and doesn't seem overly thrilled about the idea of hitting bumps mid-bend. A set of dampers should sort it out. Hmmm...

Also, another catastrophic failure. I don't think the subwoofer is doing its thing. My enjoyment of The Thompson Twins on cassette was slightly curtailed as a result.

Well here's a thing. I sprayed a load of brake cleaner all over the place, to see if it affected the idle. It did. It suddenly settled right down. I'll see how it behaves on a cold start tomorrow, but perhaps I cleared out some gunk from the throttle spindles? Only thing I can think of.

While the enthusiasm was high, I decided to remove the aerial and try and fix it. JohnK supplied a new internal post thing. In the boot, I found sweeties...

22491891_10155798799803200_3829087664987

Didn't take too long to get the aerial assembly out.

22489988_10155798799868200_1827004398599

Dismantling it and trying to rebuild it with the new post wasn't much fun. I had to dismantle it again several times as captive nuts kept falling out. Threading in the new gear track was tricky, and I couldn't work out how to stop it springing all over the place as I put it back together again. Turns out I'd missed a big plastic ring that's meant to take care of that...

End result is an aerial which does work, but which doesn't lower all the way down. I'll have to have another go - defeated by light for now.

22448640_10155798800008200_4268946697997

The book 0-60 time for the 260hp LS400 was a bit more like 6.9 seconds, so a 1.1 second increase in that time over 22 years and 150k is not bad at all.

I suspect the comment about the lack of a LSD may explain that the other 1.1seconds went up in smoke...

The book 0-60 time for the 260hp LS400 was a bit more like 6.9 seconds, so a 1.1 second increase in that time over 22 years and 150k is not bad at all.

To be fair, with less wheelspin and on flatter terrain, I reckon it'd match that. Maybe after a service. Had a peek at the air filter, emptied the dead flies and wasps out of it and thought replacement soon might be a good idea. I found that the foam holding the first piece of air intake to the filter housing wasn't in great shape, which made me wonder if a leak here, or the filter housing itself could be responsible for the 'wheee' noise under hard acceleration? I'll check tomorrow.

brilliant stuff.

even though I could never* own an LS400 if there was a smoky old jag about as an alternative :D

Be interesting for shits n giggles to do a side by side with a 95 4 litre x300 jaaaaaaaag

Reckon the lexus winning on just about everything except "has it got Jaguar written on it?"

what is happening about the cambelt? looks time consuming but not horrific. 

Cost of quality parts is going to hurt - no point in swapping out a cambelt for a substandard part made from sliced cheeze is there?

Not so sure about that. Maybe it needs a good service or something simple isn't working the way it should (vacuum leak, faulty MAF) but a car shouldn't lose that much power after 22 years, I dont think any of mine do with somewhat similar mileage.

Loving the progress so far by the way, always waiting for the next video about the LS. Your thread rekindled my desire for an early LS400 again, may god save my wallet...

In heavy rain there'll be a constant if relatively light stream of water from the sun-roof to the boot well but it should mostly drain...however, I know it just takes a little bit of water left to get mist action going.

I briefly entertained the idea of blowing air very abruptly up/down the pipe to see if this cleared a blockage causing a leak but it seemed quite fiddly to do and ensuring it drained seemed like an easier solution. I feel like I should apologise for this!

I'll make up for it by posting several photos I took of it during my brief period of infatuation...

attachicon.gif4a Rear Arty Shot.jpg

attachicon.gifMason-Shiney-Arty-Shot.jpg

attachicon.gifMason-Shiney-Front.jpg

Also the front wheel was clearly better when I had it!

attachicon.gif9 Alloy - Front Driver Side.JPG

i click on this thread and scroll down and keep thinking that 2nd pic is a arse out powaaah shot

but its not