Dollywobbler's Lexus - £SOLD

dollywobbler

Obviously I'm going to approve. Mrs SL still thinks I was stupid to get rid of mine, but if I hadn't have done so then the Camry wouldn't be back on the road. Better to have loved and lost, etc. and hopefully it's still within the AS circle?

Electrical failure when running probably the ignition switch. Mine did it every so often, generally in colder weather as the car gradually warmed-up (I assume related to thermal expansion).

Wouldn't the change from non-interference to interference type engine coincide with the change from Mk2 model to this Mk3?

Spec is a bit limited in some respects, like one-touch electric window operation only on the driver's window downwards. Even the Laurel can better that. Who cares, it's the in-built quality that matters.

I recall no handling issues, but many years of Japanese barges has probably made me immune to any deficiencies. I never drove mine on anything other than the bigger 18" wheels and it was certainly competent enough on the trackdays I did.

If I was going to have another 400 it would be a Mk4 for useability and extra toys/power, or a Mk1 for classic charm, better looks and directional alloys (invariably wrongly fitted).

hopefully it's still within the AS circle?

Electrical failure when running probably the ignition switch. Mine did it every so often, generally in colder weather as the car gradually warmed-up (I assume related to thermal expansion).

I recall no handling issues, but many years of Japanese barges has probably made me immune to any deficiencies. I never drove mine on anything other than the bigger 18" wheels and it was certainly competent enough on the trackdays I did.

It's currently in SoC's yard.  The power thing hasn't happened since I replaced the battery with one the right size and SoC rebuilt the alternator with landcruiser bits.  There's an ignition switch which came with the car, available for £postage.

About the handling deficiencies though...  Mrs_l1 might be used to a K11C, but I had a few pretty sketchy moments in it, and it's off the road due to fishtailing into a barrier from losing control at 20mph!

TBH I suspect the wide range of R15 tyres on 'original' wheels might have something to do with it; it would lose the back end when you might least expect it to, and often at low speeds.

It's currently in SoC's yard.  The power thing hasn't happened since I replaced the battery with one the right size and SoC rebuilt the alternator with landcruiser bits.  There's an ignition switch which came with the car, available for £postage.

About the handling deficiencies though...  Mrs_l1 might be used to a K11C, but I had a few pretty sketchy moments in it, and it's off the road due to fishtailing into a barrier from losing control at 20mph!

TBH I suspect the wide range of R15 tyres on 'original' wheels might have something to do with it; it would lose the back end when you might least expect it to, and often at low speeds.

If I've learnt anything, it's that powerful RWD cars really need decent tyres. Thankfully, Mason seems to have a full set of fairly fresh Avons. I've survived damp roads without endangering any nuts and kittens so far, though I'm pretty respectful of the 'slightly noisier' pedal.

Coming back from the hospital earlier, I was behind a 51 plate one of these, and I got to my safe 80mph limit on the a road we were on and he fucking vanished! Was impressive!

He didn't boot it off either, just progressed and held it there as he vanished off into the night, corners and all

Coming back from the hospital earlier, I was behind a 51 plate one of these, and I got to my safe 80mph limit on the a road we were on and he fucking vanished! Was impressive!

He didn't boot it off either, just progressed and held it there as he vanished off into the night, corners and all

I drove back to Wales at much my normal pace. I'm struggling to think of a single time it went above 2000rpm. Torque levels are astonishing.

I bought and ran tons of old cars and never once worried about the timing belt. It just never factored in given the budget for buying it was only 4-500 quid. How many did I have snap ? None.

If you like it then invest else don't worry about it and make sure your aa card is topped up.

I think the high revving thing when cold is a Toyota thing. I've had about three 4A-GE engined Toyotas and all have them have revved up to about 2200rpm when 1st started from stone cold, then gradually dropped down to normal idle speed over about 5 mins as they warm up. Apparently it's something to do with the waxstat failing as they get old - there was a common mod on Mk1 MR2s to fit a switch to bypass it, so you flicked the switch (presumably for the cold start injector) when 1st starting then turned it back off after 2 mins or so, or then it wouldn't idle properly.

Those engines are getting on a bit now so I thought that quirk would be long gone, but my OH's 2006 Corolla does it too, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. That's an auto as well, so comedy getaways can be had when cold!

I bought and ran tons of old cars and never once worried about the timing belt. It just never factored in given the budget for buying it was only 4-500 quid. How many did I have snap ? None.

If you like it then invest else don't worry about it and make sure your aa card is topped up.

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Missing work appointments really isn't something I can do, so I'd rather ensure the car is tip-top. Exactly what I did with the Honda. I hope the Lexus repays me as well.

Bit annoyed I've barely driven it since getting home, but size is a problem where I park for minibus duty, and I was working from home on Monday.

Pah, just drive the thing! There's massive differences between US and UK timing intervals. Check the belt as described previously but I don't think it'd be too bad a job, it's no Clio 182, that's for sure! The new belts come marked up to make timing them easier.

It was my daily for a while and did over 800 miles in one week without breaking a sweat. Best mpg I got was 28mpg with cruise set at 80mph.

Does it still make the wierd noise at full throttle/high revs? That annoyed me. I reckon the exhaust needs some attention.

I drove back to Wales at much my normal pace. I'm struggling to think of a single time it went above 2000rpm. Torque levels are astonishing.

I didn't hear it take off, I presume one just accelerates normally and keeps accelerating normally until one is going very fast? No need for red line action?

Thats the one ! I will make sure the phone rings every 5 mins or so anyway . Mainly one person that rings the phone about 6 times one after the other like their house is on fire but is actually to book a service in 2 months time or wants a price to change a sidelight bulb - itemised and within 1p

LS400's are epic. To think Merc were still churning out that horrid W126 relic and BMW were relying on a straight six out of a U Boat when this big Toyota pitched up and showed them how it was done.

In 1991, my guvnor changed from a 420SEL to an LS400. Once the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, he asked to keep a 3 year old 3.6 XJ40 at home for weekends etc and I used the Lexus to drive him during the week. He never drove it again in the year we had it.

I liked it because it was quick and there weren't many about, but it soon became boring and I'd often leave it in the carpark at weekends if there was a demo around, although that was often because the Transport Manager would give me 12 hours overtime if I evaluated* their suitability for purchase -( Citroen can thank me for 60 of the 1.9 ZX Volcanes they sold)

It was sold at a year old with very little depreciation and my boss got a 750iL , which was slower than the LS400 whatever the stats say.

In 1991, my guvnor changed from a 420SEL to an LS400. Once the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, he asked to keep a 3 year old 3.6 XJ40 at home for weekends etc and I used the Lexus to drive him during the week. He never drove it again in the year we had it.

I liked it because it was quick and there weren't many about, but it soon became boring and I'd often leave it in the carpark at weekends if there was a demo around, although that was often because the Transport Manager would give me 12 hours overtime if I evaluated* their suitability for purchase -( Citroen can thank me for 60 of the 1.9 ZX Volcanes they sold)

It was sold at a year old with very little depreciation and my boss got a 750iL , which was slower than the LS400 whatever the stats say.

I preferred the E32 740i as a car over the LS400 - vastly better than the old 735i with 286 bhp and a bit of character. But the Lexus crucified the Merc, particularly in the US where the W126 was nicknamed the 'Beverly Hills Volkswagen'. The later E38 from 1994 was better again but they just don't have the ingrained quality of the Toyota.

If you needed a car to do 1000 motorway miles a week, you'd probably never tire of it.

Bloody unreliable Lexus shite! The offside rear door isn't responding to the central locking. Rubbish. Also, the main courtesy light does not illuminate. SCRAP IT.

DL8oeRxX0AA1QMB.jpg

Just a short run out today, to the next village, where it was completely overshadowed by a Toyota AE86 drift car that has a turbocharged Lexus V8 in it. Oh my gosh. A Lexus V8 with very little exhaust sounds immense! Now, where did I put that hacksaw?

Bloody unreliable Lexus shite! The offside rear door isn't responding to the central locking. Rubbish. Also, the main courtesy light does not illuminate. SCRAP IT.

Oh yeah! Was like that when I had it. Nobody's looked into those issues in the meantime either? Ace.

I broke it already...

DMGiIOBX0AEQMjm.jpg

I was investigating the many vacuum pipes, and this one was cracked. My plan was to trim it, but it just shattered. Have replaced it with a bit of random pipework I found in Mrs DW's homebrew kit for now...

Engine behaves exactly the same, so I don't think this was the cause of the high idle. Might need more testing though.