Dollywobbler's Lexus - £SOLD

dollywobbler

Naughton motors has been in the same family for decades. The current owner has an Imp fixation. I bought one off him for £90, only around 7 years ago. The story of its collection is in the unusual breakdowns thread...

I'm always up for a Linwood anecdote...

Cmon .. The Goss eh?

TS

I buy my car wax from boot sales, there's always a wife that just took a few things out of the garage , autoglym is usually available for £1 or so but this time I found £30 worth of HD wax for £2 , it'd had a few scoops taken out but 70% of it was still there

Yes it made a red MX5 shine a lot but the beading didn't last any longer than turtle wax

I'm dreading having to polish the range rover, I suspect the panel area is the same as a Lexus but I'll need a ladder

• 3 weeks later...

Then it was off to Bridgnorth for work. I stopped for fuel in Knighton, because I was feeling reckless.

DRjwFMTXcAAWDOM.jpg

This garage is amazing. That's an Avenger Tiger trying to peer through the steamy windows.

That also happens to be the closest garage to where my parents live and hence where my father has his discovery serviced/repaired.  Very honest garage who appear to go above and beyond.  They also supplied some fuel hose and clips for my rather ill CX several years ago for about three and sixpence.  A++ would use again and recommend.

• 4 weeks later...

More miles for the Lexus - 580 of them in two days in fact.

The first stop was Southampton, with a surprisingly affordable hotel, before heading to start yesterday at Twyford Moors near Portsmouth.

27545239_10156159145793200_1069547896044

It was actually fairly clean when I left the house, but it was a grotty drive down. 

Then it was an 80-mile drive over to Kent, where I parked next to the bins.

DVm1fjLXkAAETqv.jpg

Then, I had to drive home on a Friday afternoon. The M25 was FUN.

DVnCxQaV4AETe6E.jpg

Two lanes closed due to an accident, though it had all been cleared by the time we got there. We did pass a rather rearranged Vauxhall Vivaro on a recovery truck though.

After two and a half hours, I finally made it to Reading Services (80 miles)

DVnCxQaV4AETe6E.jpg

I had a surprisingly affordable gammon and chips, ten minutes of shut-eye, then pushed on for home.

Cruise control and BBC 6 Music meant the miles were eaten up very merrily indeed, though eventually, the motorway ran out, and I still had two and a half hours to go.

The A44 from Llangurig was interesting...

DVodEclW0AEwCFn.jpg

Ok, that's actually a lay by, where a one-legger icy burnout may have occurred, but the road itself was peppered with sheet ice in places. She got a right wiggle on at one point, but thankfully, the ice was a short patch, and grip was restored before the Lexus met the scenery. Sobering stuff.

Home was reached just before midnight.

DVoedCDWAAEKi9r.jpg

Two things stand out for this trip, both for being f*cked. They are the suspension springs and the dampers. They really need replacing. Otherwise, the ol girl just munched the miles very pleasantly, and delivered 29mpg again too. She seems not very keen on breaking through the 30mpg barrier.

I was reading up on quite an interesting article on the history of the Jag XJ40 the other day. It was a bit down beat in the sense that the whole protracted development process was a bit of a disaster and that it wasn't built properly half the time etc etc.. It also mentioned that the LS400 outclassed the XJ40 in most areas and managed to be more frugal despite the V8 goodness. Since you've had both, what do you think. How do the two compare?

My Lexus RX300 V6 has the plugs changed every 55k, I'd imagine yours are a similar milage.

Good work on the tensioner, just looking at a cam belt starts a nervous twitch while I think of the many, many ways I could fuck it up.

A bit late but how did you get to the plugs in the rear bank? Cam belt and water pump is simple enough.

This morning, I awoke in the dark. It turns out I put on non-matching socks because of this. It is not important. The Lexus started with some uneveness and even a hint of a misfire. I decided to cure it by just ignoring it. This worked. It was VERY damp this morning.

Then it was off to Bridgnorth for work. I stopped for fuel in Knighton, because I was feeling reckless.

DRjwFMTXcAAWDOM.jpg

This garage is amazing. That's an Avenger Tiger trying to peer through the steamy windows.

I put over £80 of fuel in. DISLIKE. After just 350 miles. That's 25mpg. Drat. Must resist that pedal more often.

By the time I reached Bridgnorth, the Lexus was pretty minging.

DRkZVAZX4AAyaQe.jpg

No, it says Yuck.

I went shite-seeing.

DRkgRWLX0AEEvQd.jpg

DRkgiVhX4AYF_VI.jpg

I later saw the Volvo being pushed by several lads. Ace.

More shite.

DRkl3qhWkAEMPoi.jpg

Then back home. I LOVE THE NON-GINERCATORS!

DRlrEeNXcAEYnZ6.jpg

That's about 130 miles covered today. Conclusions: driving this car down a narrow, Shropshire B road is a lot like threading a fish finger into a Smarties tube. It's messy and best avoided. I'm not sure how I've ended up with two Japanese cars with absolutely terrible handling. Why did I sell the Prelude again?

On the plus side, V8. I don't think I'll ever tire of the way this thing deals with overtakes.

DRkgRWLX0AEEvQd.jpg

Appropriate plate given the colour of the boot lid and roof.

Seems your Lexus and my Activa have a similar appetite for fuel...for exactly the same reason.

I'm sure I could get it well north of 30mpg if I could resist using the loud pedal so much.  Sadly the whole getting shoved back in your seat sensation appears to be far too addictive...so mid 20s is the order of the day usually!

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the gingerless front end, I don't think this car is really doing it for me. It has survived six months on the fleet, so that's impressive, but love is not in the air. Pretty much every drive I have in it is tainted by the fact 'it's just too big.' It fits on tiny Welsh mountain roads about as well as King Kong in a bobsleigh. And handles about the same.

In other words, yes, I'm concluding that it wasn't worth me forking out for the cambelt change. This is likely to become someone else's bargain.

Things I like:

The windscreen wipers

The bass response from the stereo

Cruise control

Noise

Surprising economy

Things I dislike

The handling

The size

Cow

Wind noise from the sunroof

Did I mention the size?

So, I think the time may have come. Though I hate selling cars, and so this isn't quite a for sale post. It nearly is though.