Dollywobbler's Lexus - £SOLD

dollywobbler

If anyone else is feeling the need to own one of these beasts there's one on the bay with MOT until June 2018, the auction ends in ONE HOUR... current price is £520.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lexus-ls400-1uz-4-0-v8/162780311005?hash=item25e6766ddd:g:hmgAAOSw7z1aHxFT

HNNNNGH!

Oh, Devon.

I'd definitely recommend going the US route. Toyotas price for parts is downright rude for some of the things I've been quoted for the MR2. Tried ebay with the part number?

25 years ago I had a 1989 celica GT , one of the pop up headlights stopped popping up so I stripped it and got the offending part out, a small motor that drove a shaft into the headlight

went down to the toyota dealer with it, can I have one of those, he comes back with a box , taps on the computer and, over £120, I thought it'd be about £15 , this was 1993 , £120 was about 2 days pay so not much has changed there then

Ah well. Looks like I'll be collecting the tensioner from Lexus Wolverhampton on Friday all being well. It really is a good job I like this car.

Have I mentioned that the springs and dampers need replacing?

Cost to date (or shouldn't I ask)?

If you like the car that much though I suppose it will be worth it in the end.  :?

Well, I didn't really pay anything for it, but swapped it for a Bluebird that owed me £1100 (that I was trying to sell for about £800, because I'm hopeless). Then I spent £565 on getting the cambelt replaced (including a load of service items that I STILL haven't fitted).

Then the alternator was £120, and it also needs new springs, dampers and front brakes. But values are going up. Aren't they? Please say they are!

Once I get the suspension sorted (hopefully early next year), it will be a majestic way to travel. As it is, it's pretty darned good, but only because Welsh roads are so good. Hit bumps and it's horrible. Still, I've covered over 2000 miles in it so far, and my love for it keeps growing.

I could have spunked a load of cash on some tedious, modern turbo diesel that destroyed a bit of my soul every time I got behind the wheel. I prefer this.

...was the belt hopping about, or was the tensioner just winey?  tensioner looks like one of the ones that has a mega coiled spring in a housing, arm off that to the tensioning wheel... if it was 'whiney' might have been just the bearing on the wheel that needed replacing, n if they are not sealed bearings they can ususally be pressed out....

...was the belt hopping about, or was the tensioner just winey? tensioner looks like one of the ones that has a mega coiled spring in a housing, arm off that to the tensioning wheel... if it was 'whiney' might have been just the bearing on the wheel that needed replacing, n if they are not sealed bearings they can ususally be pressed out....

The bearing is utterly shot. I then broke it trying to get it off. On a Lexus Facebook page, someone said 'isnt it a left hand thread?' Matey boy said no. But he also linked me to the wrong pulley, the idler, and so clearly hadn't understood what the problem was. Even when I confirmed. Ugh!

The bearing is utterly shot. I then broke it trying to get it off. On a Lexus Facebook page, someone said 'isnt it a left hand thread?' Matey boy said no. But he also linked me to the wrong pulley, the idler, and so clearly hadn't understood what the problem was. Even when I confirmed. Ugh!

The bolt broke on removing the 'wheel bit' of the tensioner/its housing? - the tensioner bit of the bit you are holding up usually contains a large coiled spring; an arm off that 'sprung' which holds the wheel - inside the wheel a pressed in bearing... anyways, when the spring bit starts to loose its 'springyness'/ or sprung tension, you can see the belt 'hopping/jumping around' - I had one fail on me in a mk4 golf in that the spring of the tensioner bit was that worn out it eventually chewed up the threads on the alloy housing where the bolt that wheel bit threads into, n the wheel parted company - presumably from the constant backlash of the belt hopping about /not under the right tension...

If its a sealed bearing, you can often buy 'just the wheel' n bolt it up to the tensioner - if the wheel is steel/alloy etc theres a good chance you might be able to just a buy a 'right sized' bearing n have it pressed in... 

I recently done the grumbling bearing on the aux belt my 300tdi Disco - I just removed the 'righty loose' wheel outside the bearing place n they were able to read the size off the bearing with it still in the wheel, sold me the right one n I bolted the wheel back up attached the belt in the carpark n drive home... similar to yourself, I could only buy the 'entire tensioner' bit at the factors for €159 + vat, no 'wheel on its own' being listed in the catalogues - bearing was €6+vat n that was later pressed in...

Don't get me started on jump packs. I have several, and several old car batteries and they're all shite...

Local motor factor reckons it's got the wrong plugs in, so I've ordered a new set, to collect tomorrow. £7 each, though that's cheaper than the ones at a tenner. Platinum seems to be the choice for these. Yikes.