Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dollywobbler Does Danger - new car!

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Honey Badger

Honey Badger

• Full Members
  • 968 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

My RX300 revs it's tits off when it starts and then settles down quite quickly, once it's warm it just idles normally once you restart it, seems like it's a Toyota thing, ICV might just need a clean/Bearings lubed up.

They are a really good looking car, I had a P plate one in spotless Green and gold two tone plate blast past me on the M5 the other week, my RX300 is a big car but the LS400 is fookin massive, looked quite intimidating in the rear veiw mirror as it flew up behind me.

#62 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 127 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

Will you straight pipe it? 

• rantingYoof likes this

#63 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,458 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Obviously I'm going to approve. Mrs SL still thinks I was stupid to get rid of mine, but if I hadn't have done so then the Camry wouldn't be back on the road. Better to have loved and lost, etc. and hopefully it's still within the AS circle?

Electrical failure when running probably the ignition switch. Mine did it every so often, generally in colder weather as the car gradually warmed-up (I assume related to thermal expansion).

Wouldn't the change from non-interference to interference type engine coincide with the change from Mk2 model to this Mk3?

Spec is a bit limited in some respects, like one-touch electric window operation only on the driver's window downwards. Even the Laurel can better that. Who cares, it's the in-built quality that matters.

I recall no handling issues, but many years of Japanese barges has probably made me immune to any deficiencies. I never drove mine on anything other than the bigger 18" wheels and it was certainly competent enough on the trackdays I did.

If I was going to have another 400 it would be a Mk4 for useability and extra toys/power, or a Mk1 for classic charm, better looks and directional alloys (invariably wrongly fitted).

• BorniteIdentity likes this

The home of one previous owner Japanese cars:

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL (definitely just for spares now); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL on the road again!!

And a couple of modern Toyotas

#64 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,713 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

At the moment, I'm scared to rev it!

Do a burnout, you jessy!

That V8 makes a glorious noise!

• sporty-shite and dome like this

#65 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 4,792 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

So everytime you go down the shops it's £10 :)

I realised a while ago that making a journey to lidl in camberley just to buy their (very good) £2.49 extra virgin olive oil was a stupid saving as the merc used £5 in fuel.
  • barefoot and Nibblet like this
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#66 OFFLINE   loserone

loserone

• Full Members
  • 999 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Locationbehind the tree

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

hopefully it's still within the AS circle?

Electrical failure when running probably the ignition switch. Mine did it every so often, generally in colder weather as the car gradually warmed-up (I assume related to thermal expansion).

I recall no handling issues, but many years of Japanese barges has probably made me immune to any deficiencies. I never drove mine on anything other than the bigger 18" wheels and it was certainly competent enough on the trackdays I did.

It's currently in SoC's yard.  The power thing hasn't happened since I replaced the battery with one the right size and SoC rebuilt the alternator with landcruiser bits.  There's an ignition switch which came with the car, available for £postage.

About the handling deficiencies though...  Mrs_l1 might be used to a K11C, but I had a few pretty sketchy moments in it, and it's off the road due to fishtailing into a barrier from losing control at 20mph!

TBH I suspect the wide range of R15 tyres on 'original' wheels might have something to do with it; it would lose the back end when you might least expect it to, and often at low speeds.

540331.png

#67 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

China graph pencil responds well to white spirit.

How you clean off the white spirit is another question.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#68 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

It's currently in SoC's yard.  The power thing hasn't happened since I replaced the battery with one the right size and SoC rebuilt the alternator with landcruiser bits.  There's an ignition switch which came with the car, available for £postage.

About the handling deficiencies though...  Mrs_l1 might be used to a K11C, but I had a few pretty sketchy moments in it, and it's off the road due to fishtailing into a barrier from losing control at 20mph!

TBH I suspect the wide range of R15 tyres on 'original' wheels might have something to do with it; it would lose the back end when you might least expect it to, and often at low speeds.

If I've learnt anything, it's that powerful RWD cars really need decent tyres. Thankfully, Mason seems to have a full set of fairly fresh Avons. I've survived damp roads without endangering any nuts and kittens so far, though I'm pretty respectful of the 'slightly noisier' pedal.

• loserone and Hooli like this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#69 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Shonky old Citroen

• Full Members
  • 11,276 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

Coming back from the hospital earlier, I was behind a 51 plate one of these, and I got to my safe 80mph limit on the a road we were on and he fucking vanished! Was impressive!

He didn't boot it off either, just progressed and held it there as he vanished off into the night, corners and all

2005 Gooner2 2.2dci Auto ex taxi (apparently) (Ex Kiltox)

2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#70 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

Coming back from the hospital earlier, I was behind a 51 plate one of these, and I got to my safe 80mph limit on the a road we were on and he fucking vanished! Was impressive!

He didn't boot it off either, just progressed and held it there as he vanished off into the night, corners and all

I drove back to Wales at much my normal pace. I'm struggling to think of a single time it went above 2000rpm. Torque levels are astonishing.

• eddyramrod and mat_the_cat like this

#71 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,777 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

I bought and ran tons of old cars and never once worried about the timing belt. It just never factored in given the budget for buying it was only 4-500 quid. How many did I have snap ? None.

If you like it then invest else don't worry about it and make sure your aa card is topped up.
  • RobT likes this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#72 OFFLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

For a approximation of your EMMPEEEGEEEEES, use this handy guide for differentiating between the Nippa and the Lexus:

m877a.jpg?a418656

• Twiggy, The Reverend Bluejeans, eddyramrod and 2 others like this
I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

#73 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 127 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm waiting for the 0-60 run Dollywobbler, and the tears as you see the fuel gauge :D handsome cars these, I assume you took all the brave pills taking it on :D 

#74 OFFLINE   J-T

J-T

• Full Members
  • 210 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWarrington

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

I think the high revving thing when cold is a Toyota thing. I've had about three 4A-GE engined Toyotas and all have them have revved up to about 2200rpm when 1st started from stone cold, then gradually dropped down to normal idle speed over about 5 mins as they warm up. Apparently it's something to do with the waxstat failing as they get old - there was a common mod on Mk1 MR2s to fit a switch to bypass it, so you flicked the switch (presumably for the cold start injector) when 1st starting then turned it back off after 2 mins or so, or then it wouldn't idle properly.

Those engines are getting on a bit now so I thought that quirk would be long gone, but my OH's 2006 Corolla does it too, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. That's an auto as well, so comedy getaways can be had when cold!

• J4mes likes this

#75 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

I bought and ran tons of old cars and never once worried about the timing belt. It just never factored in given the budget for buying it was only 4-500 quid. How many did I have snap ? None.

If you like it then invest else don't worry about it and make sure your aa card is topped up.

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Missing work appointments really isn't something I can do, so I'd rather ensure the car is tip-top. Exactly what I did with the Honda. I hope the Lexus repays me as well.

Bit annoyed I've barely driven it since getting home, but size is a problem where I park for minibus duty, and I was working from home on Monday.
  • Lacquer Peel, They_all_do_that_sir, Stevebrookman and 1 other like this

#76 OFFLINE   dome

dome

• Full Members
  • 1,818 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of Fife

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

Pah, just drive the thing! There's massive differences between US and UK timing intervals. Check the belt as described previously but I don't think it'd be too bad a job, it's no Clio 182, that's for sure! The new belts come marked up to make timing them easier.

It was my daily for a while and did over 800 miles in one week without breaking a sweat. Best mpg I got was 28mpg with cruise set at 80mph.

Does it still make the wierd noise at full throttle/high revs? That annoyed me. I reckon the exhaust needs some attention.

#77 OFFLINE   dome

dome

• Full Members
  • 1,818 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of Fife

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

P.S. it is the later 260 bhp interference engine from memory, the vented rear discs (which I changed) came in with that facelift

#78 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,792 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

The timing belt can't be that hard... I'd give it a go.

#79 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

I blame Thatcher

• Full Members
  • 5,793 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationOn the bog reading Autotrader

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

LS400's are epic. To think Merc were still churning out that horrid W126 relic and BMW were relying on a straight six out of a U Boat when this big Toyota pitched up and showed them how it was done.

• eddyramrod, barefoot, Ghosty and 1 other like this

Autoshite. It's like Pistonheads...but without the wankers.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1999 S  E36 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

#80 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Shonky old Citroen

• Full Members
  • 11,276 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

I drove back to Wales at much my normal pace. I'm struggling to think of a single time it went above 2000rpm. Torque levels are astonishing.

I didn't hear it take off, I presume one just accelerates normally and keeps accelerating normally until one is going very fast? No need for red line action?

2005 Gooner2 2.2dci Auto ex taxi (apparently) (Ex Kiltox)

2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#81 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Yup. It's brisk with light throttle. Prod it more and it's really quite fast.

Both exhaust heat shields are broken and loose, which explains resonance.

#82 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 7,695 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

3.2 hr book time for cambelt and wp so I will let you have 4 before I start ringing you every 10 mins asking "is it done yet- i need to pick xxxxxx from school" 

Just for the proper mechanic experience 

• The Moog, cms206, eddyramrod and 6 others like this

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - the boring modern 

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Honda CB250N super wet dream

#83 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Ha! Cheers Twosmoke. Presumably you'll be sending folk down my driveway so I can investigate a 'funny noise' every quarter of an hour as well?

Anyway, video alert. May contain Voith Retarder.

• stormee, FPB7, RobT and 5 others like this

#84 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 7,695 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Thats the one ! I will make sure the phone rings every 5 mins or so anyway . Mainly one person that rings the phone about 6 times one after the other like their house is on fire but is actually to book a service in 2 months time or wants a price to change a sidelight bulb - itemised and within 1p

• RobT, mat_the_cat and cpjitservices like this

Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi - the boring modern 

Fiat Ducato 2009 l3h2

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Saxo 1.5D

Land Rover 90 2.5 petrol

Honda CB250N super wet dream

#85 OFFLINE   Fat_Pirate

Fat_Pirate

• Full Members
  • 576 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

I need to have a go in one of these.  I like everything about it on paper (it's probably better in every way than my XJ6), it's just the bland looks I can't get over - there is virtually no styling at all.

1996 Jaguar XJ6

1991 MX5

2003 Berlingo Multispace 

2002 CLK230 convertible

#86 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,777 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

I'm not saying it doesn't happen I'm just saying it *probably won't happen . It's just not worth stressing about.

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#87 OFFLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

LS400's are epic. To think Merc were still churning out that horrid W126 relic and BMW were relying on a straight six out of a U Boat when this big Toyota pitched up and showed them how it was done.

In 1991, my guvnor changed from a 420SEL to an LS400. Once the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, he asked to keep a 3 year old 3.6 XJ40 at home for weekends etc and I used the Lexus to drive him during the week. He never drove it again in the year we had it.
I liked it because it was quick and there weren't many about, but it soon became boring and I'd often leave it in the carpark at weekends if there was a demo around, although that was often because the Transport Manager would give me 12 hours overtime if I evaluated* their suitability for purchase -( Citroen can thank me for 60 of the 1.9 ZX Volcanes they sold)
It was sold at a year old with very little depreciation and my boss got a 750iL , which was slower than the LS400 whatever the stats say.
  • The Reverend Bluejeans likes this

#88 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

I blame Thatcher

• Full Members
  • 5,793 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationOn the bog reading Autotrader

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

In 1991, my guvnor changed from a 420SEL to an LS400. Once the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, he asked to keep a 3 year old 3.6 XJ40 at home for weekends etc and I used the Lexus to drive him during the week. He never drove it again in the year we had it.
I liked it because it was quick and there weren't many about, but it soon became boring and I'd often leave it in the carpark at weekends if there was a demo around, although that was often because the Transport Manager would give me 12 hours overtime if I evaluated* their suitability for purchase -( Citroen can thank me for 60 of the 1.9 ZX Volcanes they sold)
It was sold at a year old with very little depreciation and my boss got a 750iL , which was slower than the LS400 whatever the stats say.

I preferred the E32 740i as a car over the LS400 - vastly better than the old 735i with 286 bhp and a bit of character. But the Lexus crucified the Merc, particularly in the US where the W126 was nicknamed the 'Beverly Hills Volkswagen'. The later E38 from 1994 was better again but they just don't have the ingrained quality of the Toyota.

If you needed a car to do 1000 motorway miles a week, you'd probably never tire of it.

Autoshite. It's like Pistonheads...but without the wankers.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1999 S  E36 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

#89 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 7,242 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hmmm

Icvs from USA remade 60-100 quid but postage is insane
  • NorfolkNWeigh likes this

#90 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Bloody unreliable Lexus shite! The offside rear door isn't responding to the central locking. Rubbish. Also, the main courtesy light does not illuminate. SCRAP IT.

DL8oeRxX0AA1QMB.jpg

Just a short run out today, to the next village, where it was completely overshadowed by a Toyota AE86 drift car that has a turbocharged Lexus V8 in it. Oh my gosh. A Lexus V8 with very little exhaust sounds immense! Now, where did I put that hacksaw?

• Heidel_Kakao, Lacquer Peel and rantingYoof like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users