Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dollywobbler Does Danger - new car!

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

As you may have seen elsewhere, thanks to JohnK, I've managed to upgrade from Bluebird to Lexus LS400 in one fell swoop. John even kindly brought it all the way from Middlesborough to the Electric Train Museum. Here's the first sighting, complete with Autoshiters. John arrived just as we were leaving.

22365521_10155780083198200_4911844975576

This is 'Mason' the Lexus, which has been owned by half of Scotland. It is the second vehicle I've owned this year that has passed through the hands of 320Touring, but much nicer than the last one...

The danger element comes from the timing belt, which we know was changed at around 55,000 miles, but have no way of knowing it has been done again since. Now I'm home, total mileage is 156,000 miles...

But that's getting ahead of myself. After a hasty handover, JohnK loaded the Bluebird with kids and associated gubbins and he was away back up north. Hero!

Meanwhile, I dashed to the Wythall Transport Museum to catch up with the Autoshiters. On arrival, I had to have a pantograph moment...

DLnbEkZX0AUsKch.jpg

Next to Asimo's Insight.

DLnqLmmX4AEBVvU.jpg

Calendar?

22228375_10155779359988200_5515196305539

Then we headed to the pub for dinner. A twisted sign caught me out as I lead a convoy of shite, but only Asimo fell for my wrong turn. Everyone else seemed to know where they were going. Embarrassing, as this used to be my home turf. Food was eaten, geekery was indulged in and then it was back to Wales.

Via a petrol station, obviously.

DLpcwVYXkAAUZTY.jpg

50 litres went in, and I reckon 20 of that has now gone again, on the 110-mile cross-country drive home. 

Findings so far. The sunroof is very noisy, there are two interior rattles which stand out amongst the silence (roof noise aside), it's quite big, it's very easy to make decent progress yet remain no higher than 2000rpm. That's what the engine is doing at 60mph. Pantograph wipers are ace. It feels a touch under damped. There are exhaust heat shield rattles. I slide between the seat bolsters (reminds me of the XM). Pantograph wipers are ace. It's quite big. More tomorrow!

• Spottedlaurel, Heidel_Kakao, garethj and 36 others like this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#2 OFFLINE   anonymous user

anonymous user

• Full Members
  • 4,206 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationAbject Poverty

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

I take it you're a fan of the pantograph wipers

#3 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 956 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

I would be!

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

#4 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,970 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

There's a weird handling characteristic on these, at least on the one of my Dad's I drove.  The suspension feels like it's going to be all rolypoly so you back off coming into corners when you really don't need to.  The whole thing will, and does, hunker down and get on with the business of handling surprisingly well.  Push too hard in the wet and it will go all RWD on you and look surprisingly graceful in the process, like a chimney meeting Fred Dibnah for the last time.

• wuvvum, chaseracer, The Moog and 7 others like this

#5 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 127 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

Will the engine fit into the Nippa, and have you measured it up yet? 

All joking aside, looking forward to the vlogs on this fine steed. 

• cpjitservices likes this

#6 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 12,970 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

Might fit if you took all the seats out of the Nippa first.
  • HarmonicCheeseburger likes this

#7 OFFLINE   rantingYoof

rantingYoof

Knobhead S60 wanker

• Full Members
  • 1,511 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

When Mason was driven from Leicester to Northampton two and a half years ago he had no idea how extensive his tour of the United Kingdom would be!

Have you pressed 'the button' yet? The one that leaves creases in the tarmac? Allegedly, I should add. I would never drive him like that. No sir.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  • eddyramrod and cpjitservices like this

Cure for insomnia #57812: rantingYoof's Historic Car Fleet Information History...Thing

Proud to be the 'first' owner of Mason, the 1995 LS400 Mk4.

An established Autoshite bike residing cosily in the west Welsh countryside.

#8 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,475 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

I would love an LS400.  There are two reasons, and only two reasons, that I've not bought one yet.

1) I'm stuck doing a 100 mile commute for another couple of years - and not sure that I could stomach the fuel bill.

2) After one of these, everything else is going to be a disappointment.  I don't want to peak too soon.

I have very specific 'Hendryesque' requirements.  MK4, Purple, DHP.  It'd stay forever.

• rantingYoof and Walter White like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  215k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  181k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  128k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#9 OFFLINE   Twiggy

Twiggy

• Full Members
  • 1,861 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

That looks a delightful bit of kit !

#10 ONLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 2,860 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:59 AM

IMG_20171008_124210144_HDR.jpg
  • Heidel_Kakao, chaseracer, richardthestag and 6 others like this
96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple
94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

#11 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Aw, the last drive of the Bluebird. It had a problem-free weekend thankfully.

#12 ONLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

So are you going to do the cambelt? I'm expecting that's a tad complicated.
1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 2002 Ford Fusion 3 1.6 pez

#13 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

Er, having priced it up, I'm not sure I fancy it. £250 for parts alone, and probably six hours for someone who knows what they're doing. That means about six weeks if I have a go...

But if the belt fails, apparently this is just the right age for carnage. Ugh.

It's also bloody enormous. Had a right game trying to turn it on my driveway last night. May end up reversing it in. A bit annoying, as I've managed to turn a Peugeot Boxer on this driveway without issue...
  • eddyramrod, stephen01 and cpjitservices like this

#14 ONLINE   shumarialto

shumarialto

• Full Members
  • 4,512 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNear Edinburgh

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

Nippa / Mason photo please. Little & Large  :mrgreen:

• chaseracer and BorniteIdentity like this

#15 ONLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,293 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

top barging!

A lot of the lexus chat online is suggesting 90k miles, maybe that is for later enguns?!? One forum I read said 55k for UK 100k for RoW. maybe we are bigger idiots with deeper pockets?

Also suggestions that the 1UZ-FE is non interference?!?

can you see the belt, I seem to recall that it bends back on itself in two places, you should be able to see if there is any cracking between the teeth, which is obviously a bad thing

If you fancy a cambelt change weekend maybe autoshite could do a crowd help! looks achievable but a big old job

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#16 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

• Full Members
  • 172 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

I had the Celsior 400 Jap import version...... heated massage rear seats, courtesy of Wuvvum of this parish.. By far the best car I ever owned. Sadly gone in the middle of the night during one of my trips away - never to be seen again. Took me all over Europe and I loved every minute of it.

Other peoples parking was the main bugbear - I had it walloped on every single corner and a front wing within 2mths of getting it - I gave up trying to repair the paint in the end as custom mixes to match the complicated layers was costing me more than I paid for the entire car!

You'll love it - I can guarantee it. Hopefully you'll have a lighter right foot than I did though - eye watering if you want to have fun in them!

I also recall being informed it was none-interference...... but of course best to check.

Good luck with the old girl ;-)

#17 ONLINE   cpjitservices

cpjitservices

• Full Members
  • 824 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationThere's no place like 127.0.0.1

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

excellent top barge'ing Ian!

Havent really had any experience of these - Looking forward to footage.

Buy me a Coffee!

Volvo 740 2.3 - E Reg chesh740r.gif

#18 OFFLINE   rantingYoof

rantingYoof

Knobhead S60 wanker

• Full Members
  • 1,511 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

All we know is Mason had a belt change in the year 2000. If he'd been made six months earlier he'd have had the non-interference 240hp engine, from what I've read.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cure for insomnia #57812: rantingYoof's Historic Car Fleet Information History...Thing

Proud to be the 'first' owner of Mason, the 1995 LS400 Mk4.

An established Autoshite bike residing cosily in the west Welsh countryside.

#19 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 8,599 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

Interference.df1e667b2b5b45ef2226e65c92002810.jpg
  • richardthestag likes this

#20 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Not too horrifically priced:
http://www.ebay.com/...t-/360477319609

Current exchange rate brings it at £75. Import Duty will be eligible - so throw 20% (VAT) on that and handling fee (£10). All in, about £100 for belt, tensioners and water pump. Once done, it'll probably* go another 150k
  • Sloth in a bowl, egg and cpjitservices like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#21 OFFLINE   AndySnapper

AndySnapper

• Full Members
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

Not too horrifically priced:
http://www.ebay.com/...t-/360477319609

Current exchange rate brings it at £75. Import Duty will be eligible - so throw 20% (VAT) on that and handling fee (£10). All in, about £100 for belt, tensioners and water pump. Once done, it'll probably* go another 150k

Don't forget the "10% off if you buy 2 or more"

#22 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,713 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Good old Mason!

I remember when my non-AS mate Dan bought Mason from RantingYoof. We drove it overnight from Northampton to Aberdeen. Somewhere around Preston, we found the POWER button and left creases in the tarmac.

I got cold sweats on the come-down from the energy drinks somewhere around Stonehaven. At one point I was so tired I mistook a sliproad for another lane and clipped a kerb at 50mph. The only damage was a small bulge in the front left tyre.

Dan owned Mason for about a year, until November 2016 when he emigrated to Oregon. I bought Mason from him for a piss-take price about 12 hours before his flight left. In the brief 3 weeks I owned Mason for, I thrashed him up and down Scotland, and even took him round Knockhill! I can also vouch for the sideways handling characteristics. I exited a few roundabouts sideways in the wet.

Anyway, I decided to get rid of Mason the very day I did the trackday at Knockhill, due to total electrical failure and a horrible judder from the brakes, and my total lack of arsed when it came to maintaining such a ropey cheap old boat. The total electrical failure was fixed by dome when he collected Mason after winning the raffle. The fix involved kicking the living daylights out of the fusebox in the driver's footwell.

When I say total electrical failure, I mean it. The electric windows, the central locking, the interior boot release, the steering column adjustment all stopped working somewhere between Dundee and Knockhill, as Tickman will confirm.

I must ask. Does it still idle at 2k rpm when cold, and did anybody ever figure that one out? It's been doing that since RantingYoof's ownership in 2015. It's quite fun being able to do 20mph without touching the throttle though! I even replaced a couple of exhaust sensors when I had it, in an effort to cure it. I didn't buy the sensors, mind. Dan did but never got round to fitting them.

• richardthestag and eddyramrod like this

#23 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 4,895 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

...If you fancy a cambelt change weekend maybe autoshite could do a crowd help! looks achievable but a big old job...

On my IMP (factory 'endless' bike chain) I covered up the open timing case, ground off a link, connected the 'split-link' replacement new chain - keeping the cam sprocket linked on the chain all the time - wound engine round & reconnected with split/hairgrip link [U end to rotation direction]

... Aye, well, not a Lexus ;)

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#24 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

I must ask. Does it still idle at 2k rpm when cold, and did anybody ever figure that one out? It's been doing that since RantingYoof's ownership in 2015. It's quite fun being able to do 20mph without touching the throttle though! I even replaced a couple of exhaust sensors when I had it, in an effort to cure it. I didn't buy the sensors, mind. Dan did but never got round to fitting them.

It does. I suspect a duff idle control valve. Managed 30mph without touching the throttle this morning. Stopping it requires some efforts in such circumstances...

Not sure this gives a sense of scale...

DLr4VqMW0AAD0qa.jpg

I see someone has fitted a nice set of Avons to it at some point, but do we know when it last actually had a service?

• richardthestag, eddyramrod, shumarialto and 2 others like this

#25 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,713 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

do we know when it last actually had a service?

Well, neither RantingYoof, nor Dan, nor myself serviced it. Dome and 320T? Did you chaps do much with it? :D

#26 OFFLINE   bub2006

bub2006

• Full Members
  • 7,365 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • Locationderbyshire

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Good old Mason!

I remember when my non-AS mate Dan bought Mason from RantingYoof. We drove it overnight from Northampton to Aberdeen. Somewhere around Preston, we found the POWER button and left creases in the tarmac.

I got cold sweats on the come-down from the energy drinks somewhere around Stonehaven. At one point I was so tired I mistook a sliproad for another lane and clipped a kerb at 50mph. The only damage was a small bulge in the front left tyre.

Dan owned Mason for about a year, until November 2016 when he emigrated to Oregon. I bought Mason from him for a piss-take price about 12 hours before his flight left. In the brief 3 weeks I owned Mason for, I thrashed him up and down Scotland, and even took him round Knockhill! I can also vouch for the sideways handling characteristics. I exited a few roundabouts sideways in the wet.

Anyway, I decided to get rid of Mason the very day I did the trackday at Knockhill, due to total electrical failure and a horrible judder from the brakes, and my total lack of arsed when it came to maintaining such a ropey cheap old boat. The total electrical failure was fixed by dome when he collected Mason after winning the raffle. The fix involved kicking the living daylights out of the fusebox in the driver's footwell.

When I say total electrical failure, I mean it. The electric windows, the central locking, the interior boot release, the steering column adjustment all stopped working somewhere between Dundee and Knockhill, as Tickman will confirm.

About the idling issue,my avensis hits 1800 first start then drops to 1500 then 1200. When warmed up it settle around 850

#27 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

• Full Members
  • 3,713 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLurking.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

About the idling issue,my avensis hits 1800 first start then drops to 1500 then 1200. When warmed up it settle around 850

Yeah, I know most cars idle high-ish when cold, but there's certainly something not right with Mason.

Imagine a 4.0 V8 trying its hardest to be at 2,000rpm for a good few minutes after starting from cold, no matter what you do. As I mentioned, you can literally drive it at 20mph+ without even touching the throttle. You just select drive when it's doing its thing and it accelerates off.

#28 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 23,700 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

That's incorrect. Up to 1994, the LS400 V8 is non-interference. Mine was built in December 1994 at a guess. When the changeover took place is a nightmare to try and pin down (lots of angry internet posts out there!).

• richardthestag and Lacquer Peel like this

#29 OFFLINE   Schaefft

Schaefft

• Full Members
  • 272 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Awesome purchase, definitely the most interesting vehicle in your fleet for me right now! I'm contemplating myself whether I should pull the trigger on one eventually, it would need to be a 1st gen for me though. Cannot wait to see a few vids on your channel about it!

1996 BMW E39 528i                - Waiting to be driven again

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC     - Now back to Daily Status

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora          - Diagnosing...

1993 Renault Safrane V6i        - Hood finally open, now need to find the right Coolant

1991 Opel Senator 3.0 24V     - Freshly mutilated by a Taxi...

#30 ONLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Cor the ICV's aren't cheap either are they!

1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 2002 Ford Fusion 3 1.6 pez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users