HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

All my cars have to be able to function as cars in the context of transporting a 5 and 3 year old. The Rover 800 is a lovely thing. Giffer ownership has preserved the interior so well, I could only conclude that my lads would trash it pretty quickly. As far as I can see it’s also completely rust free. Step in Mr x, a shiteist of repute who is taking it on- I will leave it to themselves to do a reveal as and when (I know you know who it is anyway Sam)

Long term ownership does tend to save stuff from oblivion and I recon Mr and mrs giffer keeping that old barge for 20 years has saved it, hat duely doffed (a trilby?)

:shock: Does rusty rocket know his Vauxhalls ? :-D   I have a   x16xel  problem engine in an Astra  on the kent &sussex border....

Aside from the fact they can smoke a bit and sometimes use a little oil occasionally, those engines are great. 

For £150 that's a massive bargain!

I used to get a lift into work in one of these during my apprenticeship for Layland-Daf back in the 90's, lots of space in the back and the fitter who owned it was really proud of it. He had it over the pit steam cleaning underneath once a week in winter.

:shock: Does rusty rocket know his Vauxhalls ? :-D   I have a   x16xel  problem engine in an Astra  on the kent &sussex border....

I did an apprenticeship with Vauxhall in the mid 90s.  Astra-F, Cavalier, Corsa-B were the bread and butter back then and I ended up knowing all those cars well.

Believe me when I say, there were no major inherent/ built-in faults with any of that era of Vauxhalls.  They were well made and designed to be reliable, cheap to run and easy to fix.  They were never particularly exciting but built to a job.  I remember with the Vectra-B came along, and sadly that had issues from the beginning and the brand never recovered.

Like Cavcraft says above, the 16XE/XEL are usually ok, head gaskets can fail if the coolant is never changed and some use oil but I'd imagine most of those are long out of service now.

Mine lived in London , so never  did over 30 mph i guess . And a 16 valver needs a thrash now and again dunnit ? ..  It has had regular services , and extra oil changes due to "adverse conditions " ( low use, low speed ) but the exhaust valves are clogged with carbon, so there's no compression on one cylinder ...

There's an x16xel engine and gearbox  in Deal ,on ebay at the moment,  but it's 200 quid and really an unknown quantity..might have the same fault as mine ?  I think i might just scrap it , but it's only done 50k and is in brilliant condition ..

This was on the Mk3 Astra forum ..

post-17940-0-09228000-1556048007_thumb.jpg

http://autoshite.com/topic/31014-astra-mk3-collection-home-home/

Anyone fancy an avensis estate?

Im planning a move to a house that has no parking of any kind anywhere nearby. The avensis is a bit more capable than the Astra, and is less rusty, and hence will be the first for the chop.

2000 avensis estate, long mot to some time in 2020. 1.8 VVTI, lovely gearbox, clutch, brakes. Drives spot on, new battery and recent tyres. Everything works except the radio. A lot of history right back to the supplying dealer. Few age related marks but very tidy in and out on the whole. Remote locking, roof bars, ummm it’s blue. Currently half a tank of fuel. Located Tavistock and I’d like £350

post-4673-0-52521700-1556307876_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-29035500-1556307902_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-14826600-1556307942_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-35531500-1556307977_thumb.jpeg

Mirroring pretty much what has been said above, this is surely the best value for money option around if you want "a car" which will simply keep going.

It has also reminded me that it has been ages since I last saw one of this generation of Avensis (Avensi?). They used to be a semi regular sight not long ago.

The Astra-

1998 Astra 1.6 LS estate. Long MOT, lots of history, drives OK ruined lacquer on the bonnet and roof but £150- what I paid the long term giffer owners for it. Rust wise sills and most of underbody excellent, rear inner arches bit rusty though, with 1 bit not an MOT fail but could do with a bit of welding on the offside inner arch trailing edge.

post-4673-0-89789300-1556309798_thumb.png

post-4673-0-00252100-1556309848_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-76224500-1556310384_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-32444600-1556310428_thumb.png

post-4673-0-90308700-1556310609_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-81381500-1556310594_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-90871700-1556310402_thumb.jpeg

If its any help, I've so far had four cars off HMC, Still have two of them and all exactly as described.

Also if collecting by train, split ticketing is your friend.

B'ham to Plymouth was £300 first class, but split ticketing got the price down to £50 on the same F*&ing train.

If I had not just purchased the CLK from him, would be all over that Astra...

Sit rep- decided to keep the avensis as it’s a bit more credible as my only car- I’ve just bunged a new battery on it- and would you believe the battery on the Astra has not been holding charge- a test for it confirmed a dead cell so the buyer will need to bring a battery with themselves, also as per the advert from the former keeper a few pages back, the drivers window doesn’t work and it wants a thermostat as it struggles to get up to temperature.