HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

It's been an eventful day. Woke up in Germany, got speed gunned in Wiltshire and currently in a curry house in Devon, having just got the keys to THIS en route IMG_3442.JPG

Full look round and pics tomoz, after food and sleep

Needless to say it is a BEAST

Not the M4 between the two Swindon junctions per chance? The cops are almost always there with a speed gun.

When I was a little lad I couldn't understand why someone would want to drive an 'ugly' car like the GS or CX. Thankfully I've matured over the last 35 years or so and I now like the looks of them, and having driven my grandpa around in his latter years using his XM, I can see why people like driving floaty Citroëns.

I wish modern tin had a crazy dash layout like that GS. Or transmission whine that sings to you on your journey

Loving the 205.  That must be one of the very first with the later dash

I had an October '87 E plate one with the earlier dash, while my aunt's January '88 E-plate one had the later dash. Both were 1.4XS with the XY engine. The earlier dash models are slightly roomier as well, important if you're 6ft plus in size! I will agree it's an absolutely splendid example of (IMO) the best supermini of the 80's, though it's not quite as poverty spec as the GE trim level.

IIRC the XW 1124cc unit soldiered on for nearly a year after the XV and XY were replaced in 1988 by the TU9 and TU3 respectively, so it might be one of the first with the TU1 engine.

AFAIK there is still a Citroen GSA estate in orange for sale on the CCC pages.  It used to belong to MNDE of this parish (although not seen here for some time) and has had much cash lavished on it over the years.

It needs more cash spending on it, as the vinyl roof has not fared well, and there is now some rust in the roof and the rear arches need tidying, but it's an otherwise brilliant car.

Current owner wants £550.  They would probably jump at £500 knowing it's going to a decent home.

Truly great little cars whose qualities are hinted at by those huge headlamps which despite all the marketing guff of years to follow, prove there's no substitute for a large reflective surface.

I remember when the BX replaced it, things appeared as if the company had been taken over by the Soviets when it first arrived - all straight lines, flat surfaces, mean little headlamps, less-smooth engines and a jerky ride compared with the GS/a. Which just showed how good the Gs were, given BXs are so capable.

Enjoy that beige beauty for all she's worth, they go better and better the more they're used.

Had a fantastic drive back over Dartmoor this morning after collecting the GSA. I'm impressed by its originality and it's condition, but most of all by how it drives. The undulating B roads over the moor were a perfect match for the GSA. It's compliant suspension and the rev hungry nature of the flat 4, 4 pot and the need to conserve momentum made it an absolute joy. In all the excitement I only got a few pictures as I was enjoying the drive so much.....

I contend that there has NEVER been a sensible four-door, four-seat family car that's as much fun to drive as a GS/GSA.

Talbot has already mentioned this, but again I know of one for sale that will be very good after some cash has been spent on it - if you have an urge for a GSA let me know and I'll pass a message to MNDE.

Lovely.

My very limited experience of GSA motoring involved a mate "borrowing" his uncles GSA in about 1990 when his HA! van (pronounced HA! not haitch aye) gave up on him.

We only got half a mile when he hooned it around a sharp left hand bend and the passenger side window dropped dramatically down into the door. He took it home and parked it passenger side against the hedge and walked away whistling innocently.

Shame really. I was enjoying it up to that point.

When I was a little lad I couldn't understand why someone would want to drive an 'ugly' car like the GS or CX. Thankfully I've matured over the last 35 years or so and I now like the looks of them, and having driven my grandpa around in his latter years using his XM, I can see why people like driving floaty Citroëns.

Go on, get one before they all disappear. You might be a touch late for a CX (they seem to be gradually rising in price), but the others are still accessible at Autoshite prices, and the C6 - the last big Cit - in particular has been taking a real beating in the depreciation stakes.

I wish modern tin had a crazy dash layout like that GS.....

Reminds me of Blockbusters.

"F" please, Bob.....fettuccine.